What's new

Alum?

Is there a difference, compound wise, between an alum block and a styptic pencil. If I were to rub my $1 styptic kind of sideways against my face and rinse off the excess is it the same as the block? I like the styptic even without nicks and I can appreciate the antiseptic qualities. I know many will suggest I just splurge for a block (recommendations please), however I am curious about the chemical makeup of the two and I'm sure there are some chemists out there.

P

Pjotr

Is there a difference, compound wise, between an alum block and a styptic pencil. If I were to rub my $1 styptic kind of sideways against my face and rinse off the excess is it the same as the block? I like the styptic even without nicks and I can appreciate the antiseptic qualities. I know many will suggest I just splurge for a block (recommendations please), however I am curious about the chemical makeup of the two and I'm sure there are some chemists out there.

Both the styptic pencil and the alum block comprise the same chemical (potassium aluminium sulphate). The pencil is just in a different form to allow you to just pick out the spots on your face needing disinfection. I use a block all over my face after shaving. The problem with the styptic I found was that because of it's shape it tends to disintegrate fairly quickly. It dissolves really easy and if you don't keep it bone dry it just dissolves and breaks up. The block I find is easier to use. It tightens your skin up and I find I'm using less, far more expensive, alcohol based after shave stuff to disinfect. The other side of the story is that it does contain aluminium which is a bit of a contentious metal.

So is the Alum block jsut a replacement for aftershave splash? I really do not understand why I should be using one.:confused1

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/inde...g#Alum_bloc_.2F_Styptic_pencil_.28optional.29

To Alum or not to Alum? Alum, or aluminum potassium sulfate, is a crystal which actually has many uses. In the case of shaving, it’s used as an antibacterial and astringent. The Alum bloc is used in the post-shave routine with the Aftershave. Most wet the Alum bloc, rub on the skin, let dry for a minute or two and then, apply their aftershave.

A Styptic Pencil is similar to the Alum bloc. It is used to stop any nicks or weepers from bleeding. Follow this link for a quick guide on how to use one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The alum block is smooth textured and more user friendly to slide all over a wet face whereas a styptic pencil is kind of chalky and is easier to direct to a certain spot to stop a bleeder. The block does not leave a chalky residue IME. I follow the use of the block with witch hazel, then AS, them Balm if need be.

Both the styptic pencil and the alum block comprise the same chemical (potassium aluminium sulphate). The pencil is just in a different form to allow you to just pick out the spots on your face needing disinfection.

Most styptic pencils also contain titanium dioxide.

I didn't have an alum block during my first year and a half of shaving with a DE, and only got one after I started shaving with a str8. In hindsight I wished I'd had one from the start, it really does ease razor burn and tightens the face up nicely.

As to which one to buy, get the cheapest one you can find. They're all basically the same.

I leave my face wet, take the block and make a couple of passes all over my face. Leave it on for a couple of minutes while cleaning up brush, razor etc. and then rinse with cold water, blot face with towel to dry. Follow up with witch hazel and ASB.

So is the Alum block jsut a replacement for aftershave splash? I really do not understand why I should be using one.

It is not a replacement at all. It serves to mend cuts and razor burn. Aftershave, for me, serves to add a scent and burn like hell sometimes. I use Witch Hazel, sometimes an Alum Bloc, and an aftershave balm. No splashes for me!

The greater surface area of the alum block facilitates maximum coverage. It is so inexpensive it should be part of everyones shave den.

The styptic pencil also tends to leave a white, chalky residue, whereas an alum block is a clear crystal. It's been mentioned before, you can sometimes find alum blocks in ethnic grocery stores. I found my alum block at an Indian grocery for just $1.99 (plus 10% Tennessee sales tax:mad3:). My routine post shave is warm water rinse, cold water rinse, rub on the alum and let it sit while I clean up my brush, razor, and mug, and then a spash of witch hazel, which usually washes off the alum. The final step is a splash of Old Spice, not needed, I just like the smell and the burn. The only time I use my styptic is when I get a cut or nick that is too much for the alum to handle.

Top Bottom