What's new

Have straights improved your DE/SE shaves?

I'm finding that using a straight is having an effect on how I use a DE. I'm much more aware of blade angle, and the shave is much easier. Anybody else notice this?

I can't say. I haven't used anything but a straight razor since the first time I used one. I imagine it would make you more conscious of what you are doing.

I used a DE just the other day and found using a straight did indeed make using a DE much easier. It sure wasn't as enjoyable though, reminded me of why like using a straight.

what henry says, I have thought about it on a few occasions but so far have not had the need to try. Look forward to hearing some of the responses.

Ian

Absolutely. Shaving with a straight has made me much more aware of pressure and blade angle, resulting in much better shaves with my DE's. I've also started to stretch my skin while shaving with a DE, which has further enhanced the experience.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I can't say. I haven't used anything but a straight razor since the first time I used one. I imagine it would make you more conscious of what you are doing.

+1, all my safety razors are safely tucked away on the shelf since picking up straights.

Without a doubt. I don't use DE's often, but most recently I noticed my technique has improved many fold as a result of my straight shaving.

I'm just a newbie to straights but have noticed an improvement in my technique when I use my DE. Seems to have sped up my DE shaves as well.

I've also started to stretch my skin while shaving with a DE, which has further enhanced the experience.

+1 noticed I was stretching out of habit while having to use my DE a couple of weeks ago when moving house. Hence smoother shave and less irritation.

Absolutely. I came from using a DE to straights - and still use DE on rare occasions. I find my awareness of angle and pressure has improved my DE shaves a lot. Lather quality is also a lot more important with straights. So using straight quality lather with the DE is giving me great shaves.

Besides the DE being hassle free and uncomplicated I find it boring and uninspiring to use. I also find that a DFS or BBS shave with a DE doesn't last as long as one from a straight. So even though I take the experience I have gotten from using the straights to give me great DE shaves - I still only do it once in a while.

Absolutely. Shaving with a straight has made me much more aware of pressure and blade angle, resulting in much better shaves with my DE's. I've also started to stretch my skin while shaving with a DE, which has further enhanced the experience.

^^This. My DE shaves were about 9 out of 10 for quality. I have started using my straight and my DE for cleanup. Now my DE shaves are 10 out of 10. That could also be a combination of really cleaning up my skin well with the SR first though

Last edited:
^^This. My DE shaves were about 9 out of 10 for quality. I have started using my SE and my DE for cleanup. Now my DE shaves are 10 out of 10. That could also be a combination of really cleaning up my skin well with the SE first though

Same for me - DE shaves improved

I think it has actually now i think about it, i also found the same the other way around, coming from a de to a straight, good prep, light strokes etc

I first learned to use a straight, and only recently picked up a DE.

While the straight took me at least 20 shaves to get comfortable, and I'm still learning... I was able to get a very good shave with no nicks, cuts or irritation with a DE after only 2-3 tries.

I took a DE razor on a vacation with me awhile back after using straights exclusively for 6 months prior. Apparently I had forgot how to shave with a DE and was a bloody mess.

Now it's just straights all the time.

Different beast altogether, imo and cannot be compared. The straight has a lot more freedom of movement as far as angle; 180º compared to maybe 90º (45º on either side of a DE, give or take a few). I get much much closer shaves with my straights too. You hone the edges to the sharpness/smoothness you like. With a DE, you are stuck using the manufactured blades/edges, which are often times treated differently for hardness (Cr or other), etc...

I, personally prefer more control over my edges and shaves. That's not to say, I don't enjoy DE shaves. On the contrary, I love it...but, I reach more for my str8s.

I must be in the minority but I find the opposite. I think it's because when I've picked up the DE I think how much easier it's going to be and I shave too fast. I'll have an old type shave here in a little while and see how it goes.

I noticed an improvement in my DE shaves after using straights. My tempo was faster and my angles produced better results. I can still get a closer, longer-lasting shave with the DE, but I'm only about 20-25 shaves into the straight and seeing steady improvement with that as well.

For now, the straight is used for fun and learning. The DE is for those fast morning preps or important morning meetings.

Top Bottom