What's new

A better Shaving Brush?

Hi!

I'm Jerry and being a new member of B&B I have to say I'm throughly impressed with the vast knowledge on here. I have two Art of Shaving brushes. One I got when I purchased a travel sized kit and another I purchased last year.

I do not really like the feel of the brush nor the construction. Is there a better well built brush I could buy? One I could travel with and put in my dopp kit? What should I look for in a brush? What size? Make and model?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,
Jerry

Also what you you not like (more specifically) about your current brushes? How would you change them? Taller? Softer? Denser? Etc

Ken

My budget for a brush would be between $50.00 to $75.00 dollars. I paid $50.00 for one of the Art of Shaving brushes. I use a bowl to lather. I use two types of shave cream. The first is Art of Shaving Sandalwood. The second is Bay Rum and Sandalwood Shave Soap.

Thank you for your help!

Jerry

If you travel and bowl lather you can leave the bowl home and use your hand. Less to carry and works every bit as well- the bowl actually serves no purpose if you test lather both techniques. OK, the bowl's gone. If you've gone that far start to face lather and you're where you should be IMO. :thumbup1:

I can't believe I'm suggesting this... I like to kill animals and strip them of everything useful, then eat them ... The badger looked particularly tasty.

For travel, a synthetic, maybe a MenU. Supposedly it dries very quickly. Yes, it'll work for the obsolete bowl or hand lather and face lather OK too.

Or if you like blood with your bristles as I do, A Semogue 1438 or Simpson Special in Best badger, if you bowl or hand lather a Simpson Special Pure badger might be OK, I think it's too prickly for straight face lathering. I don't travel much but either of those "blood brushes" would work fine since they're tiny and would pack good. Lather doesn't even require a container to be made in.

A Wee Scot would be the absolute pinnacle of what you're looking for but it's too friggin' cute to use (IMO) ! I will have one ! :thumbup: Someday!

Or if you had gotten in on the $.50 boar brushes...a partaker who opened his today told me they'd be ideal if they got lost while traveling. I agree. Realtively high quality (boar), no real loss if stolen or forgotten. A bunch of those boxes should be gettin' opened in the next few days. I'm cuious to see the reactions.

A Wee Scot would be the absolute pinnacle of what you're looking for but it's too friggin' cute to use (IMO) ! I will have one ! :thumbup: Someday!

+1 The Wee Scot is perfect for travel and face lathering. A lot of folks think the Wee Scot is a joke, but trust me - it's not. It is a tiny brush (so tiny that I laughed and said "You've gotta be kidding me!" when I opened it up) but it works unbelievably well. It is very dense and has good backbone. I have both the Wee Scot and a Chubby 2 in Best Badger, and the Wee Scot honestly feels like a Chubby mini to me. I have pictures of the Wee Scot compared to the Chubby 2 Best in my thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208075 You certainly can't go wrong with a Wee Scot as a travel brush, and it can hold its own as an everyday face lather brush as well. No need for a brush stand with a Simpson brush either. They are made to dry standing upright on their base. If you try a Wee Scot and find you don't like it, you can put it on the B/S/T and recoup most of your cost. It's definitely worth consideration, IMO.

Vulfix are known for being thin and floppy, mine was.

In that price range I'd just go with a brush that's small enough to stash, rather than a travel specific brsuh where you're paying for extra handle features like screw tops.

Simpson Special, Case (can get a case for it for $5) or Berkeley. Simpson Best hair is very good.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Case_c_101.html

For bowl lathering, get something with a longer handle...Simpson colonel, a Kent if there is one in that price range, Rooney 2/1, or find an old handle and drop a new knot in it from whipped dog or TGN.

Top Bottom