What's new

The Cheap Stuff

anybody else use/try the Jean Philippe stuff?

i picked up a few bottles @Dollar Gen to give it a whirl. albeit i was a tad concerned it being so cheap id have a reaction and my face would melt but other than that i didnt think i could complain since it was on a $1.

its pretty much scented water and little alcohol. after a min or so the scent dies down a lot. i mean you can still catch a whiff but its nowhere near the strength of the name brand stuff. i spray it on several times a day when it dies out. again for $1 even if i used a whole bottle in a month its not going to break the bank. it seems to go a good ways i mean no telling how many shots i use in a day and the level in the bottle drops so slow you can hardly tell.

other than the scents pictured from memory they have:

Polo: blue/black
Tommy H
Drakkar
Swiss Army (i think thats it)
Cool Water (i think i may be wrong)
Ed Hardy

i know they have more but off the top of my head thats all the guy scents i remember.

Next time you swing by DG you might want to check them out..again for $1 you cant go wrong.

Last edited:
anybody else use/try the Jean Philippe stuff?

i picked up a few bottles @Dollar Gen to give it a whirl. albeit i was a tad concerned it being so cheap id have a reaction and my face would melt but other than that i didnt think i could complain since it was on a $1.

its pretty much scented water and little alcohol. after a min or so the scent dies down a lot. i mean you can still catch a whiff but its nowhere near the strength of the name brand stuff. i spray it on several times a day when it dies out. again for $1 even if i used a whole bottle in a month its not going to break the bank. it seems to go a good ways i mean no telling how many shots i use in a day and the level in the bottle drops so slow you can hardly tell.

other than the scents pictured from memory they have:

Polo: blue/black
Tommy H
Drakkar
Swiss Army (i think thats it)
Cool Water (i think i may be wrong)

i know they have more but off the top of my head thats all the guy scents i remember.

Next time you swing by DG you might want to check them out..again for $1 you cant go wrong.

Down here, they market them as "Jordache"... Same bottles - same "designer" fragrances...

I have tried several including the Polo Green, Paco Raban, and Drakkar Noir "types"... They are decent scents for the price (the Polo was not quite Polo). Your description was spot on... Mainly alcohol with scent. They go on strong and fade fairly quickly. I like the spray bottles. I generally use these scents only for short engagements in the evening, as the scent does not last through a day...

Definitely a bargain EDT worth checking out...

Aren't the original versions of these cheap enough as is? :huh:

$1 for the clone vs. $40+ for the originals? That's a pretty huge difference in cost.

For someone who is a total scent newbie, I could see these being a fun way to get a feel for what the original scents are like, and then you could purchase the original scents of the ones you are most impressed with.

On the other hand, the Classic Mach Polo cologne available from Walmart for $8 for a huge bottle smells much better, and has much longer lasting power.

I also have a clone of Cool Water, and having smelled the original I thought they were extremely close.

$1 for the clone vs. $40+ for the originals? That's a pretty huge difference in cost.

For someone who is a total scent newbie, I could see these being a fun way to get a feel for what the original scents are like, and then you could purchase the original scents of the ones you are most impressed with.

On the other hand, the Classic Mach Polo cologne available from Walmart for $8 for a huge bottle smells much better, and has much longer lasting power.

I also have a clone of Cool Water, and having smelled the original I thought they were extremely close.

Fair enough. I, for one, don't think I would ever judge a scent by it's knockoff. Especially something that cost $1. You get what you pay for.

not bad how long dose the smell last

never really payed much attention on a time limit but a few weeks ago i was at my aunts house and she kept saying how good i smelled through out the day. i could smell it faintly but she said she smelled it and liked it and that was a long time after i had slapped it on. which i think all colognes/AS are like that in a way. even the name brand stuff when you cant smell it anymore, you swipe your hand across it and you can smell it on your hand but you cant smell it that much on you.

again for the money..cant loose even if you have or want to spritz it on several times a day.

i guess one good thing is its not going to run everybody out of the place like some will.

Pretty sure I owned the polo type a long time ago. I remember using it for a few days and then throwing it out. I didn't like the way it smelled after an hour. Just last week I was a DG and saw the same bottles labeled as jordache and smelled each one. Nothing has changed. they all smell really cheap to me. Having owned most of the actual colognes they're copying I have to say they really don't smell like the originals. You can tell they are knockoffs, big time. I know they're only a buck but I just couldn't like any of them, even though I wanted to. Ymmv.

Picked up the polo black/blue and Drakkar clones at the dollar tree.
$3.00 ea
Not bad, doesn't last long, a few hours, but pretty close in scent and they come in very well packaged and in very nice glass edp bottles.

Top Bottom