What's new

Seeking advice from the shaving oracles

If I may I would like to ask the shaving oracles for their opinion:

I am a recent convert to DE shaving and loving every minutes of it. I switch from cartridges shaving due to increase amount razor bumps I was getting. It was so bad that I still have marks from six months however they have gradually fading away.
• The switch to DE has helped a lot however I have started to come across two very strange issues: (1) the day after I shave I seem to get spots or zits (call em what you like). There are white-ish spots that can squeezed/popped to get the white stuff out. They can be pain full and if popped do leave a mark for a day or two.
• At the same time the point where my nose meet upper lips that area on both sides seem to get flair up. It turns red and crusts up a little like a healing cut would do. This puzzle the most has I don’t belive my razor would ever come into contact with that area.

Can the spots be result of the blades not being sharp enough? Or am I applying to much pressure when shaving?

I have been using a Merkur progress for a few months and most recently a Merkur Slant, where my last shave was with a 1959 Gillette fat boy :)smile: was a great name for a razor). To date I have used Merkur, Wilkinson and most recently Nacet blades but I still end up getting spots on my face.

I would get sharper blades and ease up on the pressure. As to the reaction near your nose where you don't shave, that could be your skin reacting to your soap/cream. Have you tried changing soap/cream? If so, does the same thing happen?

I have recently got my hands on Gillette platinum and feather blades as i knew with my hair type i i needed something sharp, thus also buying the slant. i wanted to get my technique right before loading up the slant with a feather or Gillette.

i have the following shaving creams/soap:

Soaps: D R Harris Lavender
Creams: Geo F Trumper Violet / C&E Sandalwood

Though i haven’t notice that much of difference in the reddnes and spot using anyone of creams/soaps.

i have noticed that when i dont shave for a few days and allow my hair to grow the sport done come up as much or come appear at all. however if i shave everyday they do.....could it be that i am taking layer of skin off resulting in these spots?

i use alum and skin food to close and seal my face followed by some Nivea soft moisturising cream..

I notice that you use an alum block. I've used one before and while it felt great I think using it in combination with other face balms (Proraso in my case) made my face break out, similarly to yours. I stopped using the alum block (not because I suspected it, I just wanted to eliminate one variable at a time until I found the culprit) and my face is back to being clear. Of course, YMMV.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get one of the all-natural, glycerine-based, unscented, un-colored soaps and use that for a week. And use just some pure Aloe Vera for an ASB. Just to eliminate the possibility of a skin reaction to something in your current stuff. I think all four of the Sue's have something in that line. Look in the vendor index, or perhaps someone else reading this thread has some specific advice on this?

guys thank for the tips....i will try to break it down to a step by step and see what works and what doesnt

It probably wouldn't hurt to get one of the all-natural, glycerine-based, unscented, un-colored soaps and use that for a week. And use just some pure Aloe Vera for an ASB. Just to eliminate the possibility of a skin reaction to something in your current stuff. I think all four of the Sue's have something in that line. Look in the vendor index, or perhaps someone else reading this thread has some specific advice on this?

I would concur with the above advise. I have read that Lavender often causes a reaction on sensitive skin.

the redness around your nose could be a skin condition that has been aggravated (for want of a better word) by the new products (certain products can trigger a pre-existing skin condition). You might want to try a cortizone cream on the affected spots around your nose...see if that brings it down. If it does, i would go see a dermatologist as it could be seborrhiac (sp?) dermatitis. The spots around the nose (to the right or left of the nostrils, but above the "shave area") are a classic flare-up spot, as is the very points of your eyebrows (the center edges of eyebrows). They might burn a bit, then they crust over (so that it almost looks like dandruff due to the flaking). if this sounds familiar, it may be the seb. dermatitis.

Of course, it may just be a reaction to the alum (I too have found that cutting out the alum every day has helped my complexion).

The spots around the nose (to the right or left of the nostrils, but above the "shave area") are a classic flare-up spot, as is the very points of your eyebrows (the center edges of eyebrows). They might burn a bit, then they crust over (so that it almost looks like dandruff due to the flaking). if this sounds familiar, it may be the seb. dermatitis..

100% correct! that’s what exactly its like!! they clear after a few days and i sometime apply some Savlon Antiseptic Cream to help.

michaelskar your a true shaving oracle! :smile:

looks like removing alum out of the shaving process has help to ease the problem! i now only use for any nicks i may get!

thank for the help everyone :smile:

looks like removing alum out of the shaving process has help to ease the problem! i now only use for any nicks i may get!

thank for the help everyone :smile:
You might also try either plain Witch Hazel, or the Thayer's WH with aloe vera and no alcohol. I usually apply that after the alum block anyway.

I have just seen your post. Interestingly I had almost the exact same problem when I switched to DE shaving. I think it was mostly my skin getting use to new products. But shaving soaps/creams are very rich & they might be clogging your pores. Try using a light face scrub before shaving, I find I get some problems unless a use a face scrub two or three times a week.
I also have very sensitive skin I can only use no alcohol balms & allum just burns.

Regards,

Paul

I think I have come to same conclusion.....

I have been following a new washing routine recently, which is working. Just to rule any anomalies I stopped this weekend and I have noticed a big difference. I kept the process very simple by just using normal soap (well Dove PH balanced soap) which is following from some moisturisers.

if i can re-visit this subject and ask how can i get rid of the marks left on my face from the razor bumps? they are slight redder (darker in some places) then my skin colour and i would like to get rid of them.

I have been using tend skin but i guess it more affective on razor bumps not helping to restore your skin back to normal.

I have uploaded some photos to give you an idea of what I am talking about (please excuse by ugly mug, I cant help as I was born with it)

any suggestions? :mellow:

For any new bumps, I would say don't shave them & let them heal naturaly.

Are some of the bumps / marks old, if so have you ever tried a scar / rebuild ointment?

Paul

Yes, some of them are old (about six months). They have healed up a lot but still some marks remain behind.

I haven’t tied any scar / rebuild ointment as I have never thought about till you have mentioned it. I’ll see if I can get some ordered or send the SWIMBO shopping….

Top Bottom