What's new

CCW pistol

I carry a Colt Defender in a Milt Sparks VMII every day to work, summer or winter. It's not the lightest carry gun, but it's small, I've never been noticed (at least not that anyone said anything), and it's freaky accurate with plenty of stopping power. I'm also a bit on the large side, and I'm not sure if it would translate well to thinner folks; I bought my boss a PM9 to use as his daily carry, and we ended up settling on a Crossbreed Supertuck for his holster which suits him well, keeps it very concealed even on his very small frame. He also has an LCP with a Crossbreed. Between the 2, the PM9 gives me a much more secure feeling, the LCP is just unbelievably light, but does put shots on target easily at 20'. I will likely pick up an LCP for weekend carry at some point with a pocket holster, but the Colt will be my daily to work for the forseeable future (though I am starting to rotate my Wesson CBOB into the mix now that it's broken in a bit more). If you choose the Kahr, be aware it's going to take 500-1000 rounds to break it in, that sucker is tight as a drum when it's new and we ran into stovepipes, ftrtb and numerous other issues during the first 500 rounds of break in. Of course, ymmv on everything

Most of the pistols in this thread are in the category of "carry lots, shoot little." I'd recommend finding a happy medium unless you'd rather be a gun owner rather than an actual shooter. The Glock 19, S&W M&P, Glock 26, HKP30, and S&W M&P C are all excellent choices that will carry and conceal comfortably with a quality holster (Not Uncle Mike's or Galco!) and still be pleasant to shoot for an extended range outing. Also....they won't fall apart (reliable) and don't break (durable).

Don't buy a gun because of its looks. I moderated at Pistol-Forum.com and can recommend that as an excellent resource should you want to do your own research.

Mine is a 1950's colt detective's special. Only complaint is the lack of +P capability, but for reliability it cannot be beat.

Congrats on getting your CCW.

I carry Kahr PM9 http://www.kahr.com/Parts/Kahr-PM9-Black-w-Night-Sights.asp#
full

No matter what carry pistol you decide...
You may think about joining US Concealed Carry
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Kinda like here at B&B lots of good information!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kahr Arms makes quality firearms...personally I don't like the trigger but if it works for you go for it. Make sure you get some training to go with that new tool.

Kahrs will work fine for a shooter or carry peice. I have a K9 that is a shooter plus a P9 that is shooter and carrier. IMO, can't ever go wrong with Kahr for a carry piece but, like any, I would run at least 500 rds of cheapy ammo through it and a couple hundred of your preferred carry load.

Jay

Guys, the Walther PPS has an excellent corrosion resistant finish (ala Glock), is slim and flat, and has varying magazine capacity/length, and excellent shootability recoiling far less than its outdated PPK predecessors while also offering superior ballistics of 9mm versus .380. Really the best thing going in small 9mms.

Personally, I use a Glock 19 for everything. Combined with the proper holster and style of carry, it disappears and is very comfortable.

Last edited:
Being a long time Walther fan when I saw the PPS I really wanted to like it, that said it just didn't feel as well as the Kahrs, IMO. I also like that the Kahrs have a little more proven track record, but my 32 PP still gets carried occasionally. I carried a G19 for a long time but just came to realize the size was to big for me(5'4" 150lbs) for an everyday CC. Now the G19 with a light is the nightstand gun tho because the wife is comfy with it and and I do prefer the higher cap when awakened in the middle of the night. Now my daily drivers are either a Kahr P9 stong side OWB and/or a Keltec P32 in the pocket.

Jay

What I carry depends on the time of the year. Summers it's usually a little j frame S&W 38 special.. I cannont remember model numbers but it's the scandium lite hammerless double action only model. It has an alloy shroud over the stainless barrel liner, alloy cylinder, and is +p rated. It's so light weight that hot loads hurt, but I can handle it, plus using an inside the pocket holster, it does not weigh my pants down.

In cooler weather, it's usually a little Kimber ultra carry or Para Ordnance PDA, both alloy frame 45's, about the same size and weight, the only difference is the Para is their lda, light double action which I like for a carry gun. I generally use an inside the waistband holster. The few occasions we have really cold weather concealment is no problem but access is, unless I stick it in a coat pocket, then transfers can be a problem.

One of my favorites. (Currently, the other fave is a Glock 19 in an old Bladetech IWB kydex holster. Hey, it works, but not as sexy as the P7.)

Robar custom H&K P7 and Del Fatti ISP-4 holster mag pouch. Del Fatti is an artist...amazing quality and attention to detail.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
be sure to shoot it often before you purchase. the 26 is so small, you may find it difficult to be as accurate. the 19 is a bit better. 17 fits me best, but harder to conceal.

sorry if this info. has already been stated. i did not read all posts.

just get real familiar before you drop a bunch of coin.

One of my favorites. (Currently, the other fave is a Glock 19 in an old Bladetech IWB kydex holster. Hey, it works, but not as sexy as the P7.)

Robar custom H&K P7 and Del Fatti ISP-4 holster mag pouch. Del Fatti is an artist...amazing quality and attention to detail.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Nice! And getting hard to find....

I found the gun I want to buy...only problem is its pretty new and haven't found many that carry it yet.
The winner is:

The Kahr CM9. Its a cheaper (but still great quality) version of the PM9. Anyone seen or shot these yet?

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-CM9093.jpg&w=326&h=278

I have not seen or shot the CM9. I do, however, own and carry it's slightly larger brother the CW9 every day. It has been extremely reliable for me and the stainless finish on the slide has been very durable. The gun is certainly not the most accurate out there but for its size it is pretty good and certainly plenty accurate for self defense needs. I feel like Kahr did a nice job of cutting costs without sacrificing the truly important things in the gun. I would assume they will do the same for the cm series.

Top Bottom