What's new

CCW pistol

Actually, I agree with what you said. I just don't agree with folks having as their primary CCW, a pistol selected only for size. It discourage regular practice and training.

If I get a smaller pistol for certain modes of dress that won't allow me to conceal my Glock 19 properly, it will be a Walther PPS. Imagine a Glock 26 cut in half. Great little pistol, not in a pocket pistol caliber (it comes in 9mm and .40).

I agree with you (missed this comment when you said it, so I'm late) and you are obviously speaking with the experience of someone who has burned a lot a powder and seen a lot guns fired, especially in high level classes.

But I think you are missing the boat by dismissing revolvers as being only good for people who don't shoot a lot. I think a lot of very knowledgeable people use 'little revolvers' like S&W 442s and 642s for back up and or hot weather, deep concealment carry.

A very bright former SWAT guy and current high level bodyguard that I know recently made a statement that represents a heckuva reality check (to paraphrase): most of us are gun carriers a lot more of the time than we are gun fighters.

For example, a P7M8 is faster to reload and might be a better "gunfighting" gun than the older, heel-mag release P7...but the older P7 sure is perfect in an inside the waistband holster with nothing to snag on, etc.

I use a S&W 642 for backup quite often, and I am sure there are few platforms around that will function more perfectly for FIVE rounds after being carried around in a dusty/linty ankle holster or pocket holster, no matter how much I limp-wrist it(if I am wounded, say) or no matter the ammo (bad primer, etc.) but no, it wouldn't be what I would take as my primary to a Larry Vickers pistol class.

So in that sense, I agree with you. I shoot a Glock a lot more than the 642...but I find the 642 a nice tool in the toolbox, too.

Some of my carry options are a SIG P226, a 1911, a Ruger SR9-c, and as soon as I find a good holster, a S&W Model 36. I've never had an issue with being made, but then again, Indiana has open carry and I associate mostly with rednecks. I'm probably the least armed person I know. The important thing is to get a good belt. If you buy a gun belt and spend less than $50 on it, you're probably doing it wrong. I got mine from Comp-Tac on clearance (scratch and dent) for $60, it was normally $75 I think. A good belt and holster combo (with a spare mag carrier thrown in) will probably set you back about $150-200, minimum.

Last edited:
I tend to pocket carry rather than use a holster. It just allows me to wear whatever I want --- don't have to worry about tucking or not tucking in the shirt (and possibly exposing the butt of the gun).

Right now I carry the Ruger LCP .380 pistol. With my pocket holder --- it looks and feels about the same as a wallet. Works fine in the front or back pocket. Ruger has come out with a 9mm version - the LC9. it is about an inch taller and longer than the LCP. Take a look

Norm

I would like a pistol for pocket carry but what I use now is the Springfield Xdm compact with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. this set-up works pretty good for me.

$CCW 002.jpg

Carry whatever you are comfortable with, have faith in, and in a fashion that you are most comfortable with. Here is a Ruger LCP, in a pocket holster.

I carry a compact Kimber 45 in a Milt Sparks belt holster. If I don't want to dress to hide it, I'll carry a little Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.

I carry a .45 at work, being a believer in the term "Bring enough gun". Off duty or in CCW terms, I think it becomes a question of "Did you bring a gun?" I know a lot of CCW or badged carriers who either keep their gun in a bag (easy to thieve, unlikely to be in a good draw position when you need it, or to be left in the car), or who hardly carry at all because they did not ponder the pragmatics of the weight and friction of a mid-size autoloader over time, or consider the effect of carrying such a gun on the process of going to a public restroom, dressing for different occaisions and seasons, etc.

My off-duty carry is a .380 Ruger LCP. Truly terrible sights, moderate terminal ballistics, and pretty much worthless past point-blank range. The best feature of this gun is that I WILL carry it, whether I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a T-shirt or a suit coat, it's good to go. Best research I've found indicates that the overwhelming majority of defensive shootings recorded have consisted of one to two shots fired at extremely close range. My LCP fits that bill and can be reloaded very quickly if things didn't go along with the overwhelming majority of cases. What it cannot do is give a properly aimed shot. Draw and quickly put three rounds into the middle of a standard body target, yes, but I can honestly say I would not want to find myself needing to pick out a small black target behind a large white target, a la "don't shoot the hostage".

I have often debated buying one of the NAA .22 Magnum revolvers that are mounted with proper sights, largely based on observation of a friend of mine who carries an NAA Black Widow on duty and off. He can call his shots with this pistol while picking pecans off the tree at a good twenty feet, and I mean that in terms of "See those three together there? The one farthest left". When they have proper sights and grips, these NAA's bring the word "Kit Gun" to mind. They can respond to a human threat, pop the head off a rattlesnake, and put some small game over your fire. I've not yet bought one, but I believe I will, especially since they are now available with night sights and in a top-break version - there is probably one out there I can't live without.

I carry a .45 at work, being a believer in the term "Bring enough gun". Off duty or in CCW terms, I think it becomes a question of "Did you bring a gun?" I know a lot of CCW or badged carriers who either keep their gun in a bag (easy to thieve, unlikely to be in a good draw position when you need it, or to be left in the car), or who hardly carry at all because they did not ponder the pragmatics of the weight and friction of a mid-size autoloader over time, or consider the effect of carrying such a gun on the process of going to a public restroom, dressing for different occaisions and seasons, etc.

My off-duty carry is a .380 Ruger LCP. Truly terrible sights, moderate terminal ballistics, and pretty much worthless past point-blank range. The best feature of this gun is that I WILL carry it, whether I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a T-shirt or a suit coat, it's good to go. Best research I've found indicates that the overwhelming majority of defensive shootings recorded have consisted of one to two shots fired at extremely close range. My LCP fits that bill and can be reloaded very quickly if things didn't go along with the overwhelming majority of cases. What it cannot do is give a properly aimed shot. Draw and quickly put three rounds into the middle of a standard body target, yes, but I can honestly say I would not want to find myself needing to pick out a small black target behind a large white target, a la "don't shoot the hostage".

I have often debated buying one of the NAA .22 Magnum revolvers that are mounted with proper sights, largely based on observation of a friend of mine who carries an NAA Black Widow on duty and off. He can call his shots with this pistol while picking pecans off the tree at a good twenty feet, and I mean that in terms of "See those three together there? The one farthest left". When they have proper sights and grips, these NAA's bring the word "Kit Gun" to mind. They can respond to a human threat, pop the head off a rattlesnake, and put some small game over your fire. I've not yet bought one, but I believe I will, especially since they are now available with night sights and in a top-break version - there is probably one out there I can't live without.

I agree with all your statements, and would also like to add the fact that anything that you send out of the end of that barrel are more than likely to be followed by two things. One being an attorney, and the other may very well be a grand jury.

Colt .357 4" Python revolver is my EDC and has been for a few years now. Little on the heavy side, but that's about it's only drawback. Almost any high-quality pistol will suit you so long as you're accustomed to both carrying and using it. Get to know your tools and they'll work that much better for you.

...anything that you send out of the end of that barrel are more than likely to be followed by two things. One being an attorney, and the other may very well be a grand jury.

Absolutely. The clearest case of self-defense still brings a significant potential for social sanction with it. The mention of two things following a fired shot brought to mind a third: a bit of crisis stress goes with any such incident. Leave it laying there unattended, and you may have a visit from the PTSD Fairy. "Deal with it" does not mean to John Wayne it to the back of your mind, it means to work through it and bring it up to the surface where it can get out, as you would want with any other poison.

I often carry an NAA Black Widow with, as you say, "proper sights." I opened up the rear notch and put a gold dot on the front so it zeros easily at 25 yards. A pair of the large wood grips carved down nicely to a smaller size that fits my hand. A loaded spare cylinder in another pocket makes reloading perhaps as fast as the newer break tops. I know others, including those with some experience, feel differently, but I absolutely do not trust any mini-auto. The NAA always works, and another spare cylinder in .22 long rifle allows enough low-cost practice so that I can make it work.

Haven't taken a picture of it yet, but I presently carry a Rohrbaugh. One of the smallest 9mm available. Fits in a Recluse pocket holster which I carry like a wallet. A tad pricey I'll admit, but quality is never cheap.

Polish P-64 here, in a custom leather holster. Takes 6+1 9x18mm "Makarov" rounds (not as much punch as 9x19mm Luger but a bit more "oomph" than .380) and is nicely milled steel. With some custom walnut grips by Dennis in Hungary and Wolff springs, recoil is tamed to the point I can put 100 rounds downrange before my hand starts to get sore.

The P-64 is small enough to pretty much disappear on me, which is good since I work at a university around a bunch of jumpy liberal types (bless Utah for allowing me to CC at a public university in the first place :thumbup1:). She's a tad heavy being all steel, but faith in my firearm and ammo (don't forget ammo! Practice regularly with what you carry to make sure you can rely on it) mean more to me than saving weight.

Forged steel, with a wooden grip, sheathed in leather - part of a fine tradition in weapon construction...

I'll never carry a weapon I can't enjoy at the range. The Walther PPS is my limit on size and shootability.

I know your a Glock guy but try the Kahr P/CW series guns if you want a small one. I loved my G19 but carry a Kahr P9 most of the time. I had a chance to play with the Walther PPS and was hoping to love it as I have a pair of P22s. I didn't like the way it sat in my hand or the controls. I used to carry my Glock with a 3.5 and NY1 setup so the trigger felt a little like a light revolver pull. The Kahr pistols feel the same, plus you can't beat the accuracy on them. They cost a touch more than some of the newer compact 9s but reaally are the best of the best IMO.

Jay

http://www.crimsontrace.com/tabid/692/Default.aspx a friend has this on his Ruger and I'm thinking hard about getting one. adds almost zero weight and bulk.

Top Bottom