What's new

CCW pistol

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For some reason when I carry concealed I usually find myself with the .40 cal. DAO AMT Backup that I've had for years, or my Colt Officers Model .45, although the .45 is not a pocket carry gun. The AMT is a bit heavy for a subcompact now days, but it's okay. It's nothing like the weights of the newer subcompacts, but the heavier gun does help in felt recoil.

I was really debating between a baby Glock (27) and this one when I bought it, but the 27 is double stack magazine which is a bit wider, and the 27 had the thumb rest things so that it could get into the country. I went with the AMT because it was a bit smaller, even though it held fewer rounds.

AMT went out of business, but I've heard that High Standard picked up the brand now.

What do you guys use? I don't want to start a caliber debate....

You made a post on this subject and mentioned that you didn't want to start a caliber debate? :001_smile

Even though I don't really like to carry anything under a .40, I have been know to carry a .38 Derringer (yuck) or my Walther TPH .22, for when I'm not carrying a gun. :laugh:

If it hasn't been mentioned before, you may want to check out the Taurus PT 740 slim or one of the subcompact Taurus 9mm ones.

Here's a crappy snapshot of the AMT and the Walther:

Last edited:
military training is aimed at training the most ignorant grunt instead of taking the sharp guys higher

this can't be serious?

It's deadly serious. http://www.military.com/news/articl...en-basic-training-changes.html?ESRC=army-a.nl

"Soldiers using both Basic and Advanced techniques. Soldiers now fire 500 rounds (750 for infantry) during basic" - Army News Service
That is intended to take a person who has never fired a weapon and bring them up to Army standards and be able to ship them out to fight for freedom.

To put that in perspective, my wife usually fires 250-300 rounds per range trip and we do that on average of bi weekly.

For really, really, real, real training- http://www.thunderranchinc.com/courses.html

"Nominal 800 rounds of ammunition" For Urban Rifle -3 day class.

And yes I have seen the Massad Ayoob articles were he shows that, I also know he doesn't even allow them in his own classes http://massadayoobgroup.com/?page_id=103.

Let me ask you this, when your shooting do you load your guns up and set them on the bench pointing down range or back at yourself? I tend to point them down range even tho' I know they aren't going to go off just sitting there. But if one did...

Yes, I know they don't teach classes on it, I just told you so, and I also told you why (passing along what was told to be by folks who get paid a lot of money for teaching people how to shoot better).

The second point is an irrational fear.

Providing that the firearm is modern and in good repair, and the holster is modern and in good repair, a loaded firearm in it's holster is nothing to fear.
This is just one of those things that IS or IS NOT with you. It is just like those who fear guns period, they irrationally fear them and there is nothing you can do to change their mind. If you fear an item rendered safe with no reasonable way to cause harm to someone, that is a YOU thing not a safety issue.

Gun ranges maintain military style control with KISS (we Keep It Simple because we think you are Stupid) principles. They are controlling for morons.

"ALL weapons point downrange at ALL times", is easier to manage than

"Joe has his 1911 unloaded so he can move around freely, Jeff forgot to unload and is moving around, flag him down, oh wait nevermind he remembered, Mike just handed a 9mm to Sally and she is pointing it everywhere, EVERYBODY DUCK... all clear Mike took it back... ad nauseum"

...not for the irrational fear that a holstered firearm might discharge.

Its obvious we each have our own feelings on the subject. I'll just continue using what I prefer and you can use what you prefer. The beauty of CCW is that there is a method of carry for each to figure out on their own, thats part of the fun of the journey. Stay aware and stay safe!

Jay

Its obvious we each have our own feelings on the subject. I'll just continue using what I prefer and you can use what you prefer. The beauty of CCW is that there is a method of carry for each to figure out on their own, thats part of the fun of the journey. Stay aware and stay safe!

Jay

In the end, that is what freedom is all about.

Never intended to imply otherwise. Men are prone to debating points of minutiae, if it wasn't CCW it would be designated hitters in the American League, or BCS Ranking selection, or heaven forbid politics.

.38 Derringer (yuck)

I had one of those, think I got it on trade. A junky German no name aluminum frame one. It lasted for about a dozen shots before the aluminum frame distorted and I had to destroy it. I named it the Noisy Cricket (like Men in Black) because of the ferocious recoil.

I know from whence the "yuck" comes!:cursing:

How IS that AMT, I've seen them but never knew if they were worth the money. I've heard the Hardballers had problems with galling (something about stainless on stainless steel hardness issues between the slide and frame.) I fired a 1911 that Ed Brown worked over before he started selling his own firearms. It had a Rem Rand slide and an AMT frame. Nice.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How IS that AMT, I've seen them but never knew if they were worth the money. I've heard the Hardballers had problems with galling (something about stainless on stainless steel hardness issues between the slide and frame.) I fired a 1911 that Ed Brown worked over before he started selling his own firearms. It had a Rem Rand slide and an AMT frame. Nice.

It does weigh down a pocket a bit, but it works well. I keep a drop of Gunslick on each slide rail; haven't noticed any galling problems...it still works fine. Did some rapid fire the other day and it worked flawlessly.

The trigger pull on the AMTs are a bit heavy and they say not to clip any coils off of the mainspring as the spring strength is necessary for the pistol to function correctly. I clipped a couple off anyway. :scared:

I've had it for 16 years (paid about $300 for it) and qualified with it at least twice a year...besides occasional range time after shooting whatever primary duty weapon I was carrying at the time. The trigger pull has smoothed up quite well. It's not a target gun trigger pull, but even the SWMBO can use it; she even likes it.

I have been considering getting a mouse gun...maybe a LCP or Taurus TCP. Also lookin' at maybe a S&W Airweight....and maybe a second generation Detective Special just for grins.

As for the Noisy Cricket, mine is not the highest quality...sometimes it fires both barrels at once! Noisy Cricket is an appropriate name. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
having never fired a weapon doesn't make one an ignorant grunt..

ig·no·rant   
[ig-ner-uhnt]
–adjective
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
uninformed; unaware.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

So, when it comes to talking about weapons, having never fired a weapon makes one, literally, ignorant.

Or, maybe you mean they could be ignorant pogues. I guess you could have a point there.

It does weigh down a pocket a bit, but it works well. I keep a drop of Gunslick on each slide rail; haven't noticed any galling problems...it still works fine. Did some rapid fire the other day and it worked flawlessly.

The trigger pull on the AMTs are a bit heavy and they say not to clip any coils off of the mainspring as the spring strength is necessary for the pistol to function correctly. I clipped a couple off anyway. :scared:

I've had it for 16 years (paid about $300 for it) and qualified with it at least twice a year...besides occasional range time after shooting whatever primary duty weapon I was carrying at the time. The trigger pull has smoothed up quite well. It's not a target gun trigger pull, but even the SWMBO can use it; she even likes it.

I have been considering getting a mouse gun...maybe a LCP or Taurus TCP. Also lookin' at maybe a S&W Airweight....and maybe a second generation Detective Special just for grins.

As for the Noisy Cricket, mine is not the highest quality...sometimes it fires both barrels at once! Noisy Cricket is an appropriate name. :biggrin1:

What they are doing with pistols nowdays is incredible. I came up when the PPK was the 380 to have, now full sized service pistols weigh less. I swear a loaded LCP weighs about the same as an iPhone in a case. Accurate enough to get hits on target at 21 feet. I may get one yet.

While not the most comfortable gun to shoot, a Kahr PM9 will serve you well. INCREDIBLY small and wickedly accurate. In my opinion the Kahr and an HK P7M8 - make up the two finest CCW pistols in 9mm.

Kahr PM9 makes a great summer carry
proxy.php

My current go-to concealed carry gun is a Kahr CW9. It was designed from the outset as a ccw pistol and it seems to point naturally for me. The striker fired DAO takes a little getting used to, but nothing a little time at the range can't overcome. I used to carry a PPK in .380, but the long and hard double action trigger pull is a major drawback. If I'm hiking or further out from civilization then it's an old S&W 19-3 6 shot .357 - I figure a .380 won't quite stop some of the things that may jump out from behind a tree!

A large part of these recommendations revolve around what people have found to be a good fit for how they carry and how they shoot. For myself it is a Walther PPS in 9mm with the 8 round clip. It just fits my hand. Easy and comfortable as a concealed carry in my normal work day wardrobe. Fun to shoot at the range.

There are a lot of great suggestions and I would call around and find a range that has a good selection of rentals and go fire a few that you think would be a good fit for you. The bottom line is if it isn't comfortable to carry and you don't enjoy shooting it you probably won't have on you when you need it most.

I have a rossie 38 thats my ankle gun but my carry gun is a Ruger SR9
The SR9 is so thin it carrys well in the waistband. And if your anywhere besides NY (we have a 10 round mag limit in post ban guns) you will get 17 round mags. It is a striker fire like the glock but also has a safety if you choose to use it. I am gonna pick up a ruger LCP in 380 before NY passes this BS microstamping law

A good Kydex holster will carry the G35 quite comfortably. It's by far the best pistol in your collection.

I live in Wisconsin...and were about to pass concealed carry(only WI and IL dont have it.) If it passes im pretty sure I will get a CCW permit sometime down the road. I'm looking for a good concealed carry gun.

What do you guys use? I don't want to start a caliber debate...but I feel most comfortable with 9mm because that is what I mainly shoot(but open to shooting whatever). I'm currently looking at the Glock 26.

I currently own:
Springfield XD 4inch service model 9mm.
Glock 35 40 cal tactical.
Springfield 1911 Operator
Rossi .38 Special snub nose.

The glock 35 and the 1911 are too big and cannot see myself carrying these. I might carry the springfield or .38 however until I save up to get a new gun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Taurus millenium pro is not bad.
3.25 Inch Barrel
Single Action
Double Action
Checker Polymer Grips
Weight: 18.7 Ounces
Heinie Rear Sights

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom