What's new

trumper skin food or witch hazel or other ??

i have a small case of acne and am looking for somethin to use after shaving. im new to wet shaving. Had my first de shave with a feather today. went well:001_smile. heard trumper skin food is good for acne, also witch hazel. anyone have any ideas for somethin i could throw on after shaving to help my acne problem.

Thanks

I use both, but witch hazel would be better for acne. Skin food does not make my acne worse, but it doesn't appear to help either. Witch hazel does appear to reduce the frequency of pimples and helps to reduce the swelling. Whatever you use, don't remove too much oil from your skin. It causes an increase in oil production and causes irritation. Less is sometimes more.

Last edited:
I had acne in my teens and early twenties, so I can relate. If you can tolerate it, try some regular witch hazel. It has some alcohol, so it may burn. If that seems too hot, try Thayer's without alcohol. I recommend staying away from anything oily or greasy.

Try to keep irritation to a minimum. Shave lightly. Know when to stop. Be gentle with your skin.

Good luck.

thanks for help. Been looking into thayers witch hazel. seems to be te best. plus its from america so i'm happy ha ( have a fascination with anything from america)
Going to go for unscented. plus would it be better for my skin to get the one with or without alcohol. I can take the pain if it helps.
Also what do yous think about getting the trumper lemon or is this just goin to irritate my skin??

Thanks again. appreciate it:thumbup1:

Also what do yous think about getting the trumper lemon or is this just goin to irritate my skin??

The guys in the GFT shop on Curzon Street here in London, recommended the Coral Skin Food as the best in their range of skin foods. So that is the one I went for. It doesn't leave the skin feeling oily at all.

Do you use an alum block after your shave?.. I noticed that using an alum block after my shave (followed by the Coral skin food), I haven't had any spots (which I would occasionally get before). I'm sure your witch hazel will work just as well, but just food for thought.

ye as it happens i use a alum block aswel. another newbie question but are you meant to wash your face after using the alum block or just leave it??

Plus is it ok to use alum, then witch hazel, then trumper?? or is that too much.

Thanks again

ye as it happens i use a alum block aswel. another newbie question but are you meant to wash your face after using the alum block or just leave it??

Plus is it ok to use alum, then witch hazel, then trumper?? or is that too much.

Thanks again

Yes, rinse your face off in cold water a minute or so after applying the alum block (I normally apply it, clean up my brush and razor, and then rinse face).

If you decide to go with the GFT skin food, you only need to use a small amount, which you apply to a slightly damp face. The skin food is for the nourishment (and soothing) of the skin. I love it!

I've never used witch hazel before, but I see on this forum many people do, and rate it, so I'll leave it to somebody with greater knowledge than me to comment on using an alum block AND witch hazel (both being astringents).

If I have a rough shave, I do use the alum block for spots, then witch hazel, letting it dry, then some kind of after shave balm. If anything bleeds after the witch hazel, I use a bit of alum again.

Top Bottom