What's new

Getting bumps and pimples in my beard area...why?

I've been getting pimples/bumps in my beard area for a while now, and I don't know what the cause of it is.

I always wash my razor/brush before use, and I apply aftershave balm right away (been using Nivea Sensitive) and I've been getting...skin irregularities (don't know what they're supposed to be called.)

I use Cade + Merkur short handle + feather + warm rinse + ASB

I'm going to change it up starting now, but I don't know where I'm going wrong. I don't get many nicks/cuts as well.

I bought some Cool Wave aftershave from gillette only because I think the alcohol in it might disinfect or w/e my face when I'm done shaving.

What do you think is the cause?

I got the same thing until I bought a facial scrub. Ideally one with salicylic acid. Clearsil or Neutrogena make a good day to day facial scrub. Give it a go and see what happens.

As for facial cleanser, Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser is another good one IMO. Oil-free formula with lavender, eucalyptus and salicylic acid.

I wouldn't just arbitrarily start splashing with witch hazel after shaving. I heard this a lot and started doing it a few months back and seemed ok at first, but then I started noticing how dry my skin and hair was getting. I mean my whiskers were turning into steel wool. No amount of prep and no cream or soap I tried would give me a comfortable shave. Everything felt REALLY harsh. Do you have acne or ingrown hairs? If it's acne then I'd say you may want to use a facial cleanser before shaving to help lift oil and dirt from your pores. I wouldn't use anything with salicylic acid for the same reason as above unless you don't have issues with getting dried out at all. If you're getting ingrown hairs try changing you technique up a bit and, or some different razor/blade combos to help better cut the hairs so they don't curl back under your skin. If you use witch hazel then I would dab it with a cotton pad or something on the affected spots and then follow with a light moisturizer. Just thoughts...do what works best for you brother.

Almost definitely technique. Poor blade angle or poor lather (or even shaving over the area without lather present) will give you these bumps. Let it grow out and then focus on getting your technique correct and it will eliminate these bumps

If there is a hair growing out of these bumps and they only occur a day or so after shaving it is most likely technique. Remember no pressure! I get these pretty bad but shavng everyday as well as some high quality skin care products and I'm all but cleared up!

did you change anything back when these started to appear?

if you decide to change things up.. only 1 thing at a time for a few shaves.

I would suggest trying cold water shaving for a couple of weeks and adding a WH splash between last pass and ASB.

Might be the balm. I don't know where you are but it's getting to be summer now in a lot of places and maybe the sweat and balm are making your face break out. I'd try a splash for a bit and see if it makes a difference.
Also do you get the pimples if you don't shave? maybe it has nothing to do with shaving...

did you change anything back when these started to appear?

if you decide to change things up.. only 1 thing at a time for a few shaves.

I would suggest trying cold water shaving for a couple of weeks and adding a WH splash between last pass and ASB.

I used an M3 and some Cool Wave aftershave this time. I really think the alcohol in the aftershave helped.

Really? That's kind of like Rule #1 of shaving - be aware of and follow the direction of hair growth for each pass (wtg/xtg/atg).

I guess I misunderstood the starter threads when I read them at first...I went straight down, up, and if I felt anything as I ran my hand across my face I'd shave it until there's nothing there. (which might be the problem :tongue_sm)

I guess I misunderstood the starter threads when I read them at first...I went straight down, up, and if I felt anything as I ran my hand across my face I'd shave it until there's nothing there. (which might be the problem :tongue_sm)

Oh dear, that's your problem right there. Check your beard out some time after letting it grow a few days, you'll see that the hairs actually grow in odd directions. If you're shaving strictly N-S, you'll end up cutting across and against the grain in different areas, which often ends up causing irritation.

Go back and review the stickies focusing on direction of growth and multiple passes, and check out the Mantic intro video at http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/2/wPLfCyGMm9o

Once you get the growth figured out you can start to zero in on some better shaves. Everyone's different. My trouble spots are all on my neck, particularly at the base of my neck and center. Like an upside down T starting at my chin. A blind monkey with a butter knife could get BBS on my face from the jawline up.:001_smile

Oh dear, that's your problem right there. Check your beard out some time after letting it grow a few days, you'll see that the hairs actually grow in odd directions. If you're shaving strictly N-S, you'll end up cutting across and against the grain in different areas, which often ends up causing irritation.

Go back and review the stickies focusing on direction of growth and multiple passes, and check out the Mantic intro video at http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/2/wPLfCyGMm9o

What is N-S again? You are right, my hair grows in weird directions. Anything below my jawline for some reason grows in a DIAGONAL manner. Yes, like: \
If I run my hand across my neck it feels like I've done only half a pass even though everywhere else is clean.

Guess I need to get back to the basics.

Top Bottom