What's new

Getting bumps and pimples in my beard area...why?

I'm prone to acne as well, so I'll share my routine.

Cold water splash
Lather (I use Cade primarily and face lather)
Shave (I only go WTG and XTG)
Cold water splash
Clean up face with Cedephil
Wash face
Apply Alum, wait a bit, then rinse off.

This is what I do, and it has greatly helped with my acne. You don't need to follow it exactly, but hopefully it'll give you a few ideas.

I highly suspect the ASB. Get rid of it asap.

I get bumps when I go ATG on my neck. WTG I never have a problem.

+1!I use to have these bad and changed from a wtg and then atg passes on my neck and face to two wtg passes and they stopped. I blade buff the second pass, and my shaves are just a close, but without the bumps!

hmm...I never knew you had to *strictly* follow your hair growth pattern.

This is essential for us sensitive (skin) folk. Whenever I deviate from shaving with the grain on my first pass I end up getting bumps and ingrown hairs. No amount of conditioning the beard, expholiating the skin or prepping the shave has prevented this.

Gradual reduction, know your growth, zero pressure and minimal stretch on any pass. +1 on only eliminating one variable at a time. Hang in there and remember that DFS is a great result if you are prone to ingrowns or have truly sensitive skin.

I would think the problem stems from your pre shave routine. You really need to warm and soften your beard with hot water. Then I would recommend using a conventional soap to wash your face and further prep your beard. Alcohol based products will alter your skin chemistry and may cause pimples and bumps.

I'm prone to acne as well, so I'll share my routine.

Cold water splash
Lather (I use Cade primarily and face lather)
Shave (I only go WTG and XTG)
Cold water splash
Clean up face with Cedephil
Wash face
Apply Alum, wait a bit, then rinse off.

This is what I do, and it has greatly helped with my acne. You don't need to follow it exactly, but hopefully it'll give you a few ideas.

I highly suspect the ASB. Get rid of it asap.

+1 This is very similar to my own shaving routine, only I use warm instead of cold for my first splash and don't use alum.

I did stop using the ASB, and went to an alcohol based liquid aftershave, and I felt it has closed my smaller wounds better. I didn't any bumps either. I finish up the shave with Cetaphil Lotion if needed.

I noticed you are using a feather blade too. Getting too close of a shave on a pass can also cause some of the symptoms you're talking about. Definitely figure out what your growth pattern is, that's step number one. Then maybe try some other blades and see what really works best.

Top Bottom