What's new

Which soap is best for beard softening?

In your opinion, which soap is best for beard softening? For me so far it's Tabac. Ok, my only two soaps right now are Cella and Tabac but I've noticed that my beard is softer when I use Tabac. Am I imagining things or have others noticed that some soaps soften their beards more than others?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gold Dachs has an alkaline pH for just that purpose, to soften the beard.

Some users with sensitive skin have reported a burning sensation. I haven't had any trouble -- this stuff lathers well and has a nice scent, YMMV.

In your opinion, which soap is best for beard softening? For me so far it's Tabac. Ok, my only two soaps right now are Cella and Tabac but I've noticed that my beard is softer when I use Tabac. Am I imagining things or have others noticed that some soaps soften their beards more than others?

Not particularly soap to soap but I find that soaps generally do a better job of softening whiskers vs creams.

Some users with sensitive skin have reported a burning sensation. I haven't had any trouble -- this stuff lathers well and has a nice scent, YMMV.

This

As long as you have a quality shaving soap and your technique is good, along with a decent shaving brush then any soap will soften the beard well.

I have to agree with rubberduck. ARKO does the best job of softening my beard. The next best is TABAC, Original Williams and Old Spice. All tallow based soaps. I usually let them set on my face for 2-3 minutes. I relather all of them to bring up the water content before shaving. The ARKO stays slippery and my blade seems to just glide throught the whiskers. I have several expensive creams, GFT and Trumpers Rose and I am coming to the conclusion that ARKO seems to work as well as my best soaps and creams.

There's no one answer to this question, you're going to get at least one vote for pretty much every soap that exists, and other strong vote AGAINST those same soaps.

I agree that most any soap done right can work just fine. AOS Sandalwood deserves a gold star in my book. It just seems better. YMMV.

I'm gonna sound like a cheap heretic, but I find that J.M. Fraser's cream softens my beard better than anything...

Jeff

I always thought I was imagining things because I always seemed to notice easier cutting of the hairs when I used Gold Dachs, but never heard of this before and this information confirms my experience. Mind you that I have quite a few quality soaps and this indeed stood out on this regard!

As long as you have a quality shaving soap and your technique is good, along with a decent shaving brush then any soap will soften the beard well.

Agreed. Also, it takes hair 3 to 5 minutes in warm water to fully hydrate and become it's softest. The coarser the beard hair the longer it takes to become fully hydrated. The best way is to take a shower before shaving, however, keep in mind, the instant you dry your face or allow it to dry, the hair begins to also dry out and become tougher again. If you don't shave in the shower, keep applying water to your beard area to keep it continuously wet so as not to dry out while doing any prep before lathering.

There's no one answer to this question, you're going to get at least one vote for pretty much every soap that exists, and other strong vote AGAINST those same soaps.

The way it is for most threads that ask "what should I buy" or what is the best this or that...
I always go to the review section for tips when I'm in the market for new stuff. Lots of helpful stuff there.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom