What's new

What do I have on my hands here.

Hopefully someone can help identify the razor below. My brother received this as a gift when he first started shaving about 20 years ago. He barely used it. While over at my mom's place I found the razor again and he was cool with me taking it. I am not sure if the razor was new or used back then as it came from a family friend back them. It says "Barbershop" and Made in Germany on the bottom of the handle. Also the original blade that come with it also said Barbershop - Solingen - West Germany.

I have used it a few times and it does a pretty good job although I have no other usable safety razors to compare it to.

Can't read the handle quite clear.

It's a vintage Merkur HD of one brand or another.

Looks nice. :thumbup:

Do you have better pics?

May be Hoffritz or another brand made in Germany by Merkur.

Sorry I didn't read your entire post before responding. I just looked at the pictures initially.
Barbershop brand included many different razors over the years in some of their shaving kits. First time I've seen an HD.
Usually seen with a Trac II most commonly.

NICE!

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by HD? I'm not new to wet shaving but new to the safety razor angle of it.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by HD? I'm not new to wet shaving but new to the safety razor angle of it.

The Merkur 34c have a nickname, "Heavy Duty" , hence the HD :001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:
In googling, this one looks just like mine - exact same box and blade

http://postimage.org/image/1on3hs1qc/

I've just started getting into using the DE's. In another thread I started yesterday I posted about finding a gillette super adjustable for 50 cents at an estate sale so I'm off to a lucky start to this I think.

Hopefully someone can help identify the razor below. My brother received this as a gift when he first started shaving about 20 years ago. He barely used it.

I think you mean he barely cleaned it. :lol:

I remembered seeing this other one sell on eBay a while back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luxury-Barbershop-Double-Edged-Safety-Razor-/150580731204

Heavy Duty.

Top Bottom