What's new

Cartridge Questions

First, I'm a die-hard DE convert. I still use cartridge blades for my head but I'm working to change that as well. That said, I have a lot of travel coming up (3 weeks away from home), and since it involves flying, I can't exactly take any DE blades with me. This leaves me 3 options as far as I can tell; 1) ship some blades to my destinations, 2) buy the cheap CVS/Walgreens DE blades at the locations or 3) suck it up and just take some cartridges or disposable blades with me. 1 & 2 are tricky because I'll be in 3 different states during my travels, which means 3 flights, which means doing either one 3 times. So, the cartridges/disposables seem like the most sensible option.

I currently use the Fusion for my head, not because I really love it, but because I managed to get a bunch of blades and the handle for really cheap a while ago. It works fine on my head, but I hate it on my face, so it's not a great candidate for bringing along.

I have some Mach 3 blades I found buried in a drawer which I used to use on my face, but I've since lost all the handles for them. I noticed in the store the other day that the disposable Mach 3 blades seem to have the same, removable cartridge, meaning I could theoretically pick up a pack of those and use them with the cartridges I found. So here's my question: are the Mach 3 disposable handles reusable and compatible with the Mach 3 cartridges?

Next, I've read in a few places that disposable razors have inferior blades to the more expensive and individually sold cartridges. Reading other places seems to indicate that it doesn't matter, and that the cheap store-brand disposable blades are every bit as good as the "premium" name-brand cartridge blades. Walmart has a 10 or 12 pack of disposable Personna's for under $3, and while I hate to throw away so much plastic, it's hard to argue with getting so much for so little. So here's my second question: are the cheap, all plastic disposable blades just as good as the cartridge blades? Should I just spend the $3 and not look back?

tldr; questions are red and bolded

Any feedback on the matter is appreciated.

Another option would to be getting a bump fighter handle. They use the trac II blades and are probably the best carts around. They make both the disposable kind and the reloadable cart type. Wal-Mart (sure other box stores also) carries both and CVS carries the reloadable type. Or see if you could source a vintage Atra Handle. The atra is my fav cart.

I have some Mach 3 blades I found buried in a drawer which I used to use on my face, but I've since lost all the handles for them. I noticed in the store the other day that the disposable Mach 3 blades seem to have the same, removable cartridge, meaning I could theoretically pick up a pack of those and use them with the cartridges I found. So here's my question: are the Mach 3 disposable handles reusable and compatible with the Mach 3 cartridges?

So your going to buy mach 3 disposables, take the heads off and add mach 3 blades to plastic handles ? Why not just buy a new mach three I bet the price difference is minimal.

I fly with my DE all the time. I store the blades vertically so the machines dont pick it up. I have done this about 7 times so far.

I can't say for certain, because I don't have an M3 handle, but the disposable M3s definitely do have detachable heads that seem to be identical to the carts as far as I can tell; the price of the disposables seems to vary quite a lot, but at least in the UK, you can sometimes buy a pack of 3 disposables for less than the cost of a new handle (go figure?)

On the question of the inferiority of disposables, I'd be wary of generalisations. I think the Gillette trac II disposables, the blue ones sold as 'Good News' in the States, are excellent, and if anything better than most of the generic Trac II carts I've tried. Indeed, they seem to be at least as sharp and to last longer than Sensor carts, at least in my recent experience. But there certainly are really awful disposables out there. Sadly, with the more obscure varieties, there's probably always gonna be some trial and error.

So your going to buy mach 3 disposables, take the heads off and add mach 3 blades to plastic handles ? Why not just buy a new mach three I bet the price difference is minimal.

The plan is to use both. The disposables are a pack of 3, plus my 4, makes 7 carts total. That should easily get me through my travels.

you can sometimes buy a pack of 3 disposables for less than the cost of a new handle (go figure?)

And that's exactly right. A 3-pack of disposable Mach 3's is like $7. The fancy Mach 3 case with the handle with 2 carts is over $10. So, I spend less and get an extra blade and 2 extra handles. Assuming of course the blade quality is the same (and I'm betting it is).

Surely you can travel with them so long as they're not in hand luggage?

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm attempting this trip with a couple of carry-on bags. If I was checking luggage, I wouldn't even have posted this ;)

I fly with my DE all the time. I store the blades vertically so the machines dont pick it up. I have done this about 7 times so far.

I've read about people getting away with it. I've accidentally left a blade in the razor before myself, in the plastic bag out for anyone to see, and nobody even looked twice. Part of me is thinking if people are bringing loaded guns and large knives on planes in their carry-on bags, a few DE blades won't be a problem either. The TSA is nothing more than security theater, after all. That said, I rather not chance a confrontation when I could just as easily get buy with a handful of carts or disposables.

I can't say for certain, because I don't have an M3 handle, but the disposable M3s definitely do have detachable heads that seem to be identical to the carts as far as I can tell
Which is why I posted. My biggest concern was that the heads were glued in or something, preventing you from re-using the handle. But it sounds like that's not the case. Judging from the appearance, and from a cost perspective, I'm betting the heads on the disposable blades are pulled from the same assembly line, they just use black plastic instead of gray. But I was hoping someone had either tested this or read somewhere that it works.

Last edited:
It's still not a perfect answer, but I just thought to go and compare my disposables to my GF's Venus handle; the disposable head does fit the Venus handle (but is ever so slightly wobbly), and the Venus cart fits the disposable head perfectly, though you have to give them a bit of a tug to get them off again.

It's still not a perfect answer, but I just thought to go and compare my disposables to my GF's Venus handle; the disposable head does fit the Venus handle (but is ever so slightly wobbly), and the Venus cart fits the disposable head perfectly, though you have to give them a bit of a tug to get them off again.

I didn't realize they used the same cartridge system. Thanks for checking that out! Sounds like the opening of the disposable M3 is slightly larger than that of the non-disposable Venus. Which, if also true for the M3 and disposable M3, means those disposable handles would work just fine with the cartridges I already have.

In that case, sir, I withdraw my question! :laugh: if you're gone for 3 weeks then a pack of 4 fusion cartridges should work well at relatively little cost. I can make a pack of 4 last a month shaving my head every couple of days

I can use the same Fusion blade on my head for a month or so, shaving every 2-3 days. My head isn't sensitive, so the blade being a little dull isn't a huge deal. My head isn't what I'm worried about though, it's my face. And the Fusion blades absolutely leave it on fire, so those are a no-go for the trip. I suspect the problem is the absolute excess of blades on the thing; if I make 3 passes, that's like 15 with that monstrosity! At least with a Mach 3, it's only 9 ;)

Do you need to make that many passes with one of those monstrosities? :001_huh: I used one before I switched to wet shaving and only ever needed one. Granted it was nowhere near as good, but it wasn't really bad

Probably not, but I don't want to lose my DE form. If I get lazy with a cartridge, I know I'll bring that laziness to the DE and end up butchering my face ;). I could probably get away with a single WTG pass I guess, but where's the fun in that? Plus, I just got to the point where I enjoy shaving and I don't want to give that up just because I'm not at home. Still going to take most of my other shaving goods with me, albeit in smaller portions.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a Mach 3 handle and use the cartridges you have? The handle and one cartridge is only five bucks.

Before going DE I used disposable M3 blades on a regular M3 handle, as well as disposable Sensor 3 blades on a Sensor handle. Both worked perfectly. I usually used a flad head screwdriver to gently pop the M3 heads off the disposable handles.

Last weekend I was at my parents' hous and had to resort to a Sensor 3 disposable I'd left up there years back, but I got a fine shave out of it. I had been shipping DE blades ahead when I went on shorter business trips, but now I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle for just a couple of shaves here and there. I'll still be taking my DE gear along for trips over 5 nights when I end up checking a bag.

If worse come to worse you could get the Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 at Wally World.

The handle is $5 and refills are the same price as well
proxy.php

Last edited:
Just don't shave. Or go cartridge. Is it really worth the hassle? Everyone needs an affair once in awhile...makes you appreciate the good things in life even more ;)

I had bad luck with the Tech3 when I tried one on a business trip (after going to Wally World looking for Wilkinson Sword DE blades). Turns out it's a non-disposable of the Schick Extreme3, which tore me up back when I was looking for a cheaper M3 alternative years back. I've found about a dozen better alternatives spanning the cost soectrum, including the Sensor3, Good News, Bic Hybrid, Hydro3, etc. I wouldn't touch the Tech3 or Extreme 3 again with a 10 foot pole.

Lots of choices. My current favorite is the Bump Fighter handle with the Wilkinson Sword cartridges. Handle is $3.50, 10 cartridges are $3.50. I can easily get 5 good shaves from one cartridge, you you're looking at 50 shaves for $7.00, even buying the handle.

Hard to go wrong at those prices.

Top Bottom