What's new

The Three Amigos

I love my Berkeley and I should have my 55 on Monday. I'm looking for a third brush in the 22mm range (huge for me).

I'm thinking the Classic 1 would be the perfect brush to round out the trio.

What do you think?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Drew, the Classic 1 is certainly a great choice. :wink2: The Classic 2, with its slightly larger (23 mm) and denser knot, is, in my opinion, even better. :thumbup1:

The Classic 1 is great, and a departure from the Berkeley and Fifties in that I find it more dense than both, but it has a longer loft. I find that it reduces the tendency of a dense brush to be a lather hog.

I'm currently going the other way. Until the Berkeley, my brushes were all in the 22mm range. Right now I prefer a smaller brush, but since I can't rule out a Classic or Duke down the road, I keep this thread in my subscribed list.

It sounds like you are trying to stay in the Simpsons range, and if that is the case, I would recommend the Colonel X2L. The handle shape is quite different from your Berk and 55. It is a 22mm short lofted knot that should be just as good for face lathering as the Classic. I can't speak to differences in knot density, though, as I don't have a Classic. But the Colonel is also a very well liked brush around here.

Another option in 22mm with a very different handle shape is the Keyhole 3.

Other considerations are the Commmodore X2 and Duke 2.

Hmm... Those are good recs. For some reason I keep thinking the Colonel is 24mm, far outside what I want, even though I know it's not...

The colonel is a solid offering Drew...can't go wrong with it in the 22mm-23mm size...the shorter loft is ideal for face lathering...

I don't know if the Colonel is going to be dense enough for you, but if you do go that way, look for a loft of 46 or less if you can find one. The loft on mine was about 48 and while it had more backbone than my Rooney, I still wish it had more. I used it solid for 2 months (mostly creams), then passed it on to a friend when I got the Berkeley and SR.

My Colonel was the limited run in Super...no shortage of backbone with that 2-band knot! And the loft was SHORT! I'll have to go and check to see if the current offerings really differ that much...the duke is also a tremendous value...very dense brush with a comfortable handle...I personally found the colonel handle to be much more comfortable to use...

I had the Ehsan too. It was when I first discovered I didn't like the 2-band hair.

My Colonel was the limited run in Super...no shortage of backbone with that 2-band knot! And the loft was SHORT! I'll have to go and check to see if the current offerings really differ that much...the duke is also a tremendous value...very dense brush with a comfortable handle...I personally found the colonel handle to be much more comfortable to use...

I guess that pretty much does it for the Colonel then...I'll leave the Duke as my recommendation on the table.

Hmm... Those are good recs. For some reason I keep thinking the Colonel is 24mm, far outside what I want, even though I know it's not...

My Colonel X2L is a 2 band "Ehsan". Using a caliper, I measure the knot at 22.5 mm.

It's a regular in my rotation.

Yeah, I'm leaning Duke or Classic just because I prefer the handle shape. This way my brushes will look like a family!

Well if it's a family you're after, then my number one rec becomes the Classic. The Duke 2 is a close second, and right now you could get one in ivory fleck direct from Progress-Vulfix.

this might be pointless since you have a 55 but the 57 has a 22mm knot x 45mm loft. same dimensions as a Rooney 1/1.

hey maybe you need to try a Rooney next time. since you like the Berkeley so much they are in the same ball park. as much as i like my Berkeley the thicker/fatter handle of the Rooney 1/1 was just it for me.

I had a Rooney 1/1 and sold it. I actually just wrote Franz (who sold me my 55, got it today and love it) to tell him I might have to let the Berkeley go and get a 57 to go with the 55.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the Fifty Series doesn't get more press. It is the most beautiful brush I've seen in a long time.

Top Bottom