$fox-1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 177
  • $Hurricane.jpg
    $Hurricane.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 177
  • $LandscapePost.jpg
    $LandscapePost.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 177
I most certainly will never try to repeat something like this but please, educate me of the technique. It looks fantastic.

Setup with a tripod, a chair, and a large thermos of coffee in my driveway the evening of the eclipse. I used a remote so as to not shake the camera when taking the shot and set it to go off after a 10 second timer. It was quite cloudy, but right before the event started it cleared up nicely. Spent the first few minutes dialing in the exposure and white balance and then started snapping pics every 10 minutes or so. Each time I'd have to adjust eh position and angle for the movement of the moon, and eventually the exposure time as well once it started getting darker in order to pick up more light. It started to become difficult in the darker phase because my exposure time was getting into the 10 second range and even just small movement in the camera/tripod would cause blurryness in the photo, so I started taking alot more to make sure I was getting as clear of a shot as possible. By the time I finished (around 4:00am) my fingers were freezing!

Once done I went through the probably 60 or so photos and picked out the best from the different phases of the eclipse and used photoshop to pull them into the collage. A few of them got some color and brightness balancing done, but for the most part they are as was taken by the camera. Created the canvas and then sized the moon to make sure I could fit an appropriate amount of them in the collage. Drew a straight line from one corner to the other to ensure they all lined up, then took each raw image, resized, cut out the moon, and pasted into the collage. Went in afterwards and masked over the lighter areas from around the moon in each cut-out with black to match the background. Then put int the text.

I think there's a higher rez version on my flikr page: www.flickr.com/photos/bast_imret/5280682173/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It started to become difficult in the darker phase because my exposure time was getting into the 10 second range and even just small movement in the camera/tripod would cause blurryness in the photo

Are you sure it wasn't the movement of the moon? When I took eclipse shots it was a struggle even keeping the moon in frame! I had to crank the ISO up way too high and the pictures ended up quite grainy.

Are you sure it wasn't the movement of the moon? When I took eclipse shots it was a struggle even keeping the moon in frame! I had to crank the ISO up way too high and the pictures ended up quite grainy.

A little of both actually. ISO was ok, but the exposure time started to get pretty long, and even tightened down as much as I could go my budget tripod kept slipping a tiny bit due to the weight of the camera body and lens once positioned.

A little of both actually. ISO was ok, but the exposure time started to get pretty long, and even tightened down as much as I could go my budget tripod kept slipping a tiny bit due to the weight of the camera body and lens once positioned.

It all sounds like a rocket science to me but mostly the will to wait until 4 AM. I admire you.

You can additionally stabilize the tripod if you hang a plain sack filled with something heavy in it (pebbles, even few bottles of water) beneath the middle part.

Thanks for the tip!

It all sounds like a rocket science to me but mostly the will to wait until 4 AM. I admire you.

You can additionally stabilize the tripod if you hang a plain sack filled with something heavy in it (pebbles, even few bottles of water) beneath the middle part.

a friend took this at Mackinac Michigan.

Attachments

• $69049_10151111400919608_1771756403_n.jpg
    $69049_10151111400919608_1771756403_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 128
My "best" so to speak changes depending on my mood. but I have always liked this, as sometimes less is more. 10 stop neutral density to get a long exposure during the daytime, Canon 15-85 at 15mm on a 60d.

proxy.php

Amazing understated picture. Would make a great desktop wallpaper

My "best" so to speak changes depending on my mood. but I have always liked this, as sometimes less is more. 10 stop neutral density to get a long exposure during the daytime, Canon 15-85 at 15mm on a 60d.

proxy.php

Top Bottom