What's new

Your BEST shot

proxy.php

One of my VanDyke prints.

Thank you. Mighty kind.
Here are a few more. I need to get more of my street work online; that's my preferred style.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And one in platinum:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Technical info:

The VanDyke sensitizer I mix is ferric ammonium citate--9% solution, tartaric acid--1.5%, and a 4% solution of silver nitrate. Let the sensitizer rest for a few days before you coat your paper. It will last a year or longer in a brown bottle. There will be participate in the bottom, so draw the sensitizer from the top of the bottle and discard the remainder when the levels get low.

It's a washout process, I add a touch of citric acid to the development bath and my hypo bath is sodium sulfite and a breath of sodium bisulfite.
Ilford's standard fixer will impart a very chocolatey dark tone to the image. Depending on the image I will also tone it with gold chloride. Platinum toners can make a VanDyke nearly indistinguishable from a platinum/palladium print (I don't know how much iron and silver are left in the final print however).

Not having a banquet camera I usually capture my images in 2 1/4 format or digital capture and then print a large negative on Pictorico. Sometimes I make an internegative but rarely go through the trouble or expense.

Technical info:

The VanDyke sensitizer I mix is ferric ammonium citate--9% solution, tartaric acid--1.5%, and a 4% solution of silver nitrate. Let the sensitizer rest for a few days before you coat your paper. It will last a year or longer in a brown bottle. There will be participate in the bottom, so draw the sensitizer from the top of the bottle and discard the remainder when the levels get low.

It's a washout process, I add a touch of citric acid to the development bath and my hypo bath is sodium sulfite and a breath of sodium bisulfite.
Ilford's standard fixer will impart a very chocolatey dark tone to the image. Depending on the image I will also tone it with gold chloride. Platinum toners can make a VanDyke nearly indistinguishable from a platinum/palladium print (I don't know how much iron and silver are left in the final print however).

Not having a banquet camera I usually capture my images in 2 1/4 format or digital capture and then print a large negative on Pictorico. Sometimes I make an internegative but rarely go through the trouble or expense.

Thanks!

No worries. Happy to pass the info along.
Oh, to the above--I use potassium dichromate as a contrast enhancer. Usually 1-2 drops to 12 drops of sensitizer.

If you want to give alternative photography a shot check out alternativephotography.com for more info than anyone can process.

Hare's a couple I just grabbed out of the lot. Evening shot of the balloons at Albuquerque Balloon Festival. I blackened the foreground in PP to eliminate the distracting vehicles and such on the field. The ferris wheel is at the Navy Pier in Chicago. Crawled up over the "safety" cable and layed down flat on the ground. You can see more at the link to my homepage in my profile. Barely an amateur, but I have fun.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
9 years ago. Patriots Point Golf Links in Charleston, SC. 17th Hole. 140 yard Par 3...8-iron...HOLE IN ONE, BABY!!! One big bounce on the green, hit the stick and straight down into the jar.

I enjoy photographing butterflies and they can be a challenge to photograph. Every once in awhile I get a chance.

Attachments

• $IMG_0325.jpg
    $IMG_0325.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 253
idk if its my best but,,, i took this on the 14th. at Wrigley field.

Attachments

• $Picture 079.jpg
    $Picture 079.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 232
  • $Picture 080.jpg
    $Picture 080.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 233
Not my best shot, but I don't know the policy on nudes here.
Yes, that is the Vogue Italia logo.

Attachments

• $b5c69fd2-abeb-45ae-9fab-6e63a45c69d6_FULLSCREEN.jpg
    $b5c69fd2-abeb-45ae-9fab-6e63a45c69d6_FULLSCREEN.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
What? "Your Best Shot" of the front page? I'll bump it. :)

Attachments

• $aaaaay! for web.jpg
    $aaaaay! for web.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 188
  • $Times Square 2 for web.jpg
    $Times Square 2 for web.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 189
  • $times square suzhou for web.jpg
    $times square suzhou for web.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 189
Right, I need some advice. I got some freeware which wasn't actually what I wanted but it does have a "save for web" and conversion function which works great on another forum but I'm still losing a lot on the conversion process for B&B. What should I do? My ppi is now 72 (well 63 on the above) but it looks like they're getting scrunched at 1024 pixels long side. How many should I go for on here?

Do I understand correctly - you created this image and it was published in Vogue? Wonderful pose by the way.

Website, not print. I wish!
I would post the link, but there is nudity there. I don't know B&B policy on nudity, but I'm sure like profane language, it's probably forbidden.
I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom