What's new

Witch Hazel question...

I have been suffering from what I cant distinguish from ingrown hairs or regular white heads from shaving... these usually turn into deep red bumps and leave red marks on my face for a weeks... usually on the lip line, and both sides of my upper chin..

I recently bought some Dickinson's Witch Hazel as I read somewhere that this may help... It seemed to make the problem worse... as I have gotten like 4 of these bumps since I have been using it (a week now)

My questions are:

Could this be a result of the alcohol content in the Witch Hazel?

Could this be the Witch Hazel itself?

Should I try Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel?

Thank you very much for reading.. any advice is helpful... these bumps embarrass the hell out of me.. Make me not even want to leave the house.

Which hazel is meant to prevent irritation, but it seems like you are getting severe bumps. If you aren't getting a burning sensation then it probably doesn't have to do with alcohol. Id say they are just ingrowns or nicks from improper shaving technique. Try and be less aggressive with your shaving angle, use less pressure, and do short quick strokes to prevent pulling of hairs. Personally, when I started out with DE's it took a while for my hair/face to adjust so that could be something to consider as well.

I also find that chasing the witch hazel with some aloe vera or moisturizing cream helps, especially on the blemishes.

I have considered it being my shave technique for a long time... and I believe occasionally it still might be.. But since I started this Witch Hazel, it became 3x worse... this is why I was thinking OK, maybe its the Witch Hazel itself, or maybe the Alcohol.... Unable to pin point it though.

I have read on other forums that Witch Hazel makes some people break out... maybe I am one of them.

But anyway, being that my face isn't burning, you doubt it has to do with the alcohol?

If this holds truth, I wont even bother buying Thayers alcohol free & ill just eliminate witch hazel from the routine.

thx for the reply sid.

I would say eliminate the WH if it seems to be making your breakout worse. Don't change anything else for a couple of weeks and see if it gets better. Really concentrate on your technique, remember use no pressure. You may also need to look at your soap or cream if it doesn't clear up. Keep at and don't get discouraged!

Tom

Besides what has already been said, try only going with the grain on your passes, maybe across the grain slightly if the shave isn't good, but don't go against the grain as it can lead to ingrowns if your technique is not good enough

Besides what has already been said, try only going with the grain on your passes, maybe across the grain slightly if the shave isn't good, but don't go against the grain as it can lead to ingrowns if your technique is not good enough

I definitely always go wtg... havent gone against in 5+ years.

just bought the schick hydro 5.. I know thats a hell of alot of blades but a friend of mine told me its really smooth, going to atleast try it and see what happens.

going to derm tomorrow.

if i were you, i'd get a puck of either mama bears or em's unscented, uncolored glycerin soap. it's as basic and simple as shaving soap gets. use that for 2 weeks and see if things improve. if it does, it's possible that some ingredient in your other soaps/creams/balm is an irritant.

the other thing it could be is folliculitis, caused by bacteria being delivered into small cuts by the razor blade itself. fortunately, the solution is cheap and easy. get a small spray bottle and fill it with 70% isopropyl alcohol (not 90%). spritz the blade a few minutes before shaving. as the alcohol dries, it will disinfect the blade and greatly diminish the chances of developing red, angry acne like bumps. i add some tea tree oil to mine. it improves the scent and tea tree oil is a natural antifungal, and good for skin to boot.

finally, avoid going against the grain until you get this issue sorted out. if you need a closer shave than multiple WTG passes can provide, do one side to side moving into the center of the face. it can give much of the benefit of a true ATG pass.

hope things improve!

Top Bottom