What's new

Rolf Aust Razors Soligens

The Shaving shop carries them. There is a nice 5/8 Spanish point plastic scales at $159 I picked up and it seems to be a fine shaver and is in stainless. There is also a 6/8 for $10 more.

Any else have any experience with these?

I read that review. It's just one person, but, in general... a new razor shouldn't require any work to be ready to shave with!

I'd take those posts with a grain of salt. Sure it may be tricky to hone, but it isn't the only such razor out there.

A bit arrogant huh?

I'm the guy who has one. The razor was honed by the vendor before I got it and required a bevel redo and a lot of honing by me. It has a very rough undertone to it. Once properly honed however it shaves fine. I wouldn't recommend it for a rookie unless you're going to send it out for honing. Of course this is my grain of salt experience.

A bit arrogant huh?

I'm the guy who has one. The razor was honed by the vendor before I got it and required a bevel redo and a lot of honing by me. It has a very rough undertone to it. Once properly honed however it shaves fine. I wouldn't recommend it for a rookie unless you're going to send it out for honing. Of course this is my grain of salt experience.

ar·ro·gant/ˈarəgənt/
Adjective: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities

Please clarify how my post was arrogant. Or were you describing what you were about to write? I made no claims about my abilities or importance in the post you reference. Rather that one person's experience with the razor doesn't apply universally. You know, YMMV. Take the review with a grain of salt.

Conversely, you seem to allege that because you had trouble with it, everyone will. That to me appears the very definition of arrogant.

Forgive me, Sir Exalted Honemeister. Henceforth I shall treat your pronouncements as Gospel.

Last edited:
All - I should have chosen my words more carefully and simply posted the link to let others decide for themselves.

@Thebigspendur - thank you for your informative posts on SRP. I did wonder whether Rolf was aware of your problem as it wasn't clear in the thread. I would like to think he'd be aghast that one of his razors didn't stack up. Your posts are proof that he couldn't afford not to be.

@professorchaos - you are completely correct: even the big boys can produce razors that require work. That's the balanced view that was lacking in my post.

Can we all be friends now? :biggrin1:

All - I should have chosen my words more carefully and simply posted the link to let others decide for themselves.

@Thebigspendur - thank you for your informative posts on SRP. I did wonder whether Rolf was aware of your problem as it wasn't clear in the thread. I would like to think he'd be aghast that one of his razors didn't stack up. Your posts are proof that he couldn't afford not to be.

@professorchaos - you are completely correct: even the big boys can produce razors that require work. That's the balanced view that was lacking in my post.

Can we all be friends now? :biggrin1:

Of course we're all friends.

Actually my review at SRP and followup explained everything. I spoke to the vendor about it and he had explained he honed it before shipping it and mine was the first one he did so maybe that explains the issue, I don't know.

In the end I wasn't dissing the razor. Once honed up it 's a fine shaver and what I didn't say here was out of the box the razor gave a BBS grade shave just that it was a very harsh shave. The honing was all about smoothing things out.

Goodday to you gentlemen,
Sorry to butt in as I'm mostly a lurker and I like it that way.

I'm a bit of a fan of a certain shop in Berlin, called TheDifferentScent. Some of you might have heard about it.
Everytime I visit Berlin, I can't but leave some cash in said place. Now, the guys that operate this place are very knowledgeable about everything concerning straight razors.
And they are absolute fans of Ralf Aust razors and in fact have been carrying them for quite some time.
They in fact swear by them and claim that the ones they've handled all came shave-ready.

So, mr Big Spender, I'm afraid you simply must have had ... bad luck. It happens as we all know.
In any case, I recently ordered a 6/8" in olive wood scales (in my humble opinion, the only wooden scales that look decent on today's market), I'll let you know how it was.

A good day to you all.
W

I will say thats as nice a bevel as I have seen on a new Solingen. No warps and nice and straight. It took an edge so its decent steel and the rest is skill of the honeist. I have seen them and I would be tempted to try one after seeing the blade is nice and straight with no warpage.

proxy.php

My Ralf Aust 7/8
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish Point as well. It does some seem to require a little additional effort to put an edge on it. Worth the effort, though.

Steve

Top Bottom