Thread: Green tarnish/corrosion on Gillette New

Hybrid View

Images

Default Green tarnish/corrosion on Gillette New

I recently acquired a gold Gillette New (bar handle) in pretty rough shape. The gold plating is gone from much of the razor and there is even some green tarnish (or is it corrosion?) in spots on the razor head and between the teeth.

I bought the razor with the explicit intention to have it replated, so what should I do to get it "ready" for replating. I want to clean it and treat any potential corrosion so that it doesn't just get covered over in the plating process only to reveal itself down the road!

Thanks for your help!

P.S. - Please note, I have no way to get "Scrubbing Bubbles" so appreciate ideas that don't require the stuff.

Last edited by Xman74; 05-17-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Photo upload
    "These aren't the droids we're looking for." - Stupid Stormtrooper #2

Images

The brass has tarnished turning green. Clean with some brass polish.

A competent replater will clean the razors in several bathes before replating.
    Proud father of a US Marine
    The stash
    [img]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=25520[/img]

[img]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=25521[/img]

As is stated above, the green is just tarnish, which will remove. If you want to remove all the finish, this is what worked for me:

I bought this NEW, in disgusting condition, purely as a learning experience:

Gillette NEW before picture.

This is how it now looks:

Gillette NEW after stripping/polishing.

(More pics in my Flickr account.)

First I soaked it in Tilex to remove soap scum from between the teeth, although I really could have cut out this stage considering how aggressive I was to become later.

Then it got a long soaks in Lysol, after which I scrubbed it in dishwashing detergent – I used a nail brush and plenty of boiling water. Then I repeated the Lysol and scrubbing process.

After that I removed what was left of the gold finish with a soak in boiling vinegar. I figured that if I microwaved the vinegar in an empty jam jar I’d make the house smell less than boiling it in a pan on the stove, and I could drop the razor right in and tighten the lid to keep the smell in. I also added some baking soda. I’m not sure how necessary the baking soda was, but it was fun to watch it explode like that.

After a few hours I removed the razor, washed it again, and gently sanded the end of the handle and top plate to remove bangs and scratches. I used 1000-grit sandpaper followed by 2000-grit. (I thought I’d done a good job here, but a lot more dings were apparent after it was shiny, so don’t go easy here.)

Then I spent an age polishing in Brasso. I used a toothbrush to get into the underside of the head, between the teeth and the knurling.

I once read that, if you are going to replate something, the shinier you get it before you replate, the shinier it will be afterwards. However, I'd recommend talking to your replater rather than relying on me. . .

Having said that, I’m sold on the brass and copper look, although brass does tarnish with use.

Is called verdigris,soak it it Vinegar for 30 mins,Hit it with a stiff toothbrush,will come right off.

awesome job
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    As is stated above, the green is just tarnish, which will remove. If you want to remove all the finish, this is what worked for me:

I bought this NEW, in disgusting condition, purely as a learning experience:

Gillette NEW before picture.

This is how it now looks:

Gillette NEW after stripping/polishing.

(More pics in my Flickr account.)

First I soaked it in Tilex to remove soap scum from between the teeth, although I really could have cut out this stage considering how aggressive I was to become later.

Then it got a long soaks in Lysol, after which I scrubbed it in dishwashing detergent I used a nail brush and plenty of boiling water. Then I repeated the Lysol and scrubbing process.

After that I removed what was left of the gold finish with a soak in boiling vinegar. I figured that if I microwaved the vinegar in an empty jam jar Id make the house smell less than boiling it in a pan on the stove, and I could drop the razor right in and tighten the lid to keep the smell in. I also added some baking soda. Im not sure how necessary the baking soda was, but it was fun to watch it explode like that.

After a few hours I removed the razor, washed it again, and gently sanded the end of the handle and top plate to remove bangs and scratches. I used 1000-grit sandpaper followed by 2000-grit. (I thought Id done a good job here, but a lot more dings were apparent after it was shiny, so dont go easy here.)

Then I spent an age polishing in Brasso. I used a toothbrush to get into the underside of the head, between the teeth and the knurling.

I once read that, if you are going to replate something, the shinier you get it before you replate, the shinier it will be afterwards. However, I'd recommend talking to your replater rather than relying on me. . .

Having said that, Im sold on the brass and copper look, although brass does tarnish with use.

Images

looks new again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5701431227_7512162af9_b.jpg  
    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

Thank you. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Like I said, there's still some pitting in the top plate that I just couldn't see until it got shiny. I'm probably going to leave it there, to be honest. No point pretending it's a new razor.

I'd be interested to see how the OP's re-plate turns out - I'm guessing it's in silver. I don't know why, but I've seen very, very few silver NEW razors.