What's new

First Project(s)

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I'm excited about being apart of this community. Recently I heard an ad on the radio about a new barber in town offering straight razor shaves and i decided to give it a try. I mean, I already smoke a pipe and drink straight bourbon and scotch, why not take the next step? And it came to pass that as I left that barber shop I vowed to take up the art of the Straight.
I found you guys shortly after and read numerous posts about shaving technique and blade restoration. When I felt I had gained enough knowledge I decided to dive in head first and restore some razors, as i prefer making rusty things shiny again to buying them new.

I have gotten as far as step one: Purchase a Razor... I bought ten.:thumbup:

proxy.php

I found these at an antique shop sold together in a plastic bag for $12! The two on the right are trash, but the other six have no chips or bad rust on the edge. the second from top one has silver end pieces on the scales.

proxy.php

razor in box. The blade has MUSICAL engraved on the tang. Anyone know anything about it? I doubt it really goes with that box.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then there's this bad boy which is in pretty decent shape. I think I got enough to cut my teeth on. I'll keep you posted as i get them finished... or destroy them, whatever the case may be. I welcome any advice or comments you can give. peace:thumbup1:

Indeed A very strong willed start, just stick with it unfortunately it isn't as easy as lighting a cigar or pouring a drink just go into it knowing that, and that the rewards are far greater.

And if the blades on the right (which you say are *dead*) does not have giant nicks or rust all the way through, a new set of scales and a restoration might still save them.... ?

And welcome by the way!!! :thumbup:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You Dog!! $12.00!! :lol:

I cant even FIND straights in the wild for ANY price out here where I am so I'm doubly jealous.

Welcome!!

D

DRiley086

Don't let Whitesmith fool you. He'll try to sell himself short, but he's a professional metalworker, amateur blacksmith, and has a whole shop full of tools to get the job done. Can't wait for pics of the finished products.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag D. Now when I have a stupid question I'll look like a fool.

Anyhoo I got this one pretty good consindering it was almost solid red when I got it.
proxy.php

Anyone ever heard of J. E. Bodine & Co?

proxy.php

proxy.php

There is still a little shadow where the deep pitting was, but the scales cleaned up nice. It should be a good shaver.

Last edited:
12 bucks is a screamer of a deal! The antique shops in my area seem to think that any old straight is worth its weight in gold. Best of luck on your projects and keep us informed.

Top Bottom