What's new

How much would you pay?

A cased razor with blade holder and instructions in good condition, $50 tops.

I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it, actually. Because it's a short-handle; I'd like a longer one. And if it had a case/box etc, that would be... :001_tt1:

Maybe I'll hold out for my unicorn.

I have been watching a Birthday Razor on eBay for several months now. Its cased, appears to be in good condition, and is much nicer than the beat-up BDR I have now.

But the BIN price is way too high. I put in a low-ball bid when I first saw it, but the seller rejected it. There have been no other bids that I can see.

But to answer your question, how much is a BDR worth? If it were NOS, I'd go up to $75, for a VGC razor and case, about $50, for a VGC razor alone, about $30.

For the sake of comparison, my present BDR, shaver-grade, cost me $16 shipped. I got it from the BST.

I got a birth year (1970) short handled super adjustable for less than $20, and I'm glad I didn't pay more than that.

There's enough of them around that they come up.

Having said that, I found - to my surprise - that birth year didn't really mean that much to me. I actually prefer razors (and watches, my other affliction) that are older than me.

If you are patient you will find one. It will be a bit harder if you want the # to match your birth month as well. Not having a case would not bother me so much, since it will be a workhorse, and see plenty of use.:001_smile

Since I've already acquired two K1's (Flare Tip and a cased blue Lady), I'm in no huge hurry to find the others. I'll pay market rate for the Slim Adj, Slim Twist, Red and Blue SS if they cross my path.

I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it, actually. Because it's a short-handle; I'd like a longer one. And if it had a case/box etc, that would be... :001_tt1:

Same deal here. I'm trying to talk myself out of one too. Super adjustable also.
I've bid on two, and they've miraculously jumped up in the $35-$40 range. That's just too much for a Super Adjustable. They are starting to get silly like Fatboys.

You only have one Birth Day, and it doesn't change. There is no hurt in waiting around for a while until your Birth Razor pops up for a fair price. If I paid too much for a razor (even my BR) I may enjoy it less when using it.

I paid $40 for my birth year super adjustable but it was also in excellent condition. I don't feel bad for paying that much either.

Depends on the razor.

For a Fatboy maybe £35 ($56 - $57), for a slim maybe £30 (about $48.50), £25 ($40.50) for a Superspeed and perhaps up to £20 ($32.50) for a nice Tech.

Bear in mind with not much in the way of antique shops locally I am pretty much restricted to ebay and prices seem a bit higher in the UK than the US.

Of course if anybody happens to have a 1961 G4 razor hanging about doing nothing ....

I paid around $5 for my red tip SS birth-quarter razor, but that was a serendipitous find; it was one of two razors in a badly-listed lot.

I paid around $20 shipped for my cased 1958 birth-quarter TV Special. Good deals will come along if you are patient. Try posting in the WTB section, you might get one at a fair price.

I'd post a WTB, and wait for one in good condition for a fair price.

I'd never pay more than fair market value.

I'd bet there would be lots of members here willing to help you out.

. . .I found - to my surprise - that birth year didn't really mean that much to me. I actually prefer razors (and watches, my other affliction) that are older than me.

I'm the same way, now (with the razors, not the watches). One of my favorite razors for shaving is probably my oldest, about 1907. I do have two birth year razors, a 1957 Super Speed and Tech, but there are many old SE and injector razors in my collection that I would keep in preference to them, if it were necessary to give something up. Luckily it isn't.

It's a matter of personal preference what an intangible like this is worth, but the seller doesn't know what your birth year is. Maybe it's best to keep the attitude that he shouldn't expect to get more money from you because it happens to be from that year.

$38 seems high to me for a Super-Adjustable, but I haven't looked for one recently, and prices fluctuate quite a bit. Mine is rather minty but uncased, cost me $23.01 including shipping on eBay. I wondered if even that was too high at the time, but it is a pretty nice razor, as DEs go.

Top Bottom