What's new

IdC has landed

Ian's attempt at making MdC has landed on my doorstep.

We will give it a whirl tomorrow :thumbup1:

Anyone interested in passing the puck around? He sent me a decent-sized puck.

Ian de Candre perhaps?!

Correct. It's a B&B member's attempt to use minimal ingredients in order to make a soap that rivals Martin de Candre and out of respect to MdC he named it Ian de Candre. I have MdC and it's a great soap. I'm waiting to hear how good a job Ian did at his interpretation. If it comes out anything like RazoRock's take on AdP then I'll be impressed.

Correct. It's a B&B member's attempt to use minimal ingredients in order to make a soap that rivals Martin de Candre and out of respect to MdC he named it Ian de Candre. I have MdC and it's a great soap. I'm waiting to hear how good a job Ian did at his interpretation. If it comes out anything like RazoRock's take on AdP then I'll be impressed.

is it the soap he made that was just pure saponified stearic acid? or did he add coconut oil and the few other things in MdC?

So the two questions are:
1. Is this basically MdC?
2. Is the soap good if it isn't?

First, texture. Ian's soap isn't quite MdC, though remember I am judging a standalone puck from soap in a glass jar. Ian's soap is a bit crumbly and has a slicker surface to it. In some ways, it seems to approach Cella more than MdC.

Second, appearance. MdC is "matte", the surface of the puck isn't shiny. IdC is a bit shiny, perhaps because it isn't flat. Cella is another reference point here to give you an idea, but it also isn't "flat" and so the shininess may be the cause of that.

IdC isn't scented so there's no fair comparison there.

Third, loading. MdC loads really quickly on my Rooney Heritage 2XL. IdC takes a bit more time on the puck using the same brush. Less time than hard soaps, of course, and it was pretty easy to load. Just not as fast.

Fourth, lather quality. One thing that impresses me about MdC is that it lathers quickly and I get a nice cushion from it. IdC also lathered relatively quickly, and gave me a decent cushion. Not as good as MdC but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

So, is this MdC? From my first shave, I'd have to say no, it's not the same. Is it a decent little soap? Actually yes, it is. I got a DFS from it. It's closer to an Italian soft soap than MdC, IMHO. Since it doesn't have tallow in it, that's a nice accomplishment on Ian's part.

I'll give this a whirl with the Finest tomorrow to see if my thoughts change.

Also remember that MdC is aged I think 6 months or more. I'm no soap maker, but I can imagine this might have an effect on how a soap lathers.

Also remember that MdC is aged I think 6 months or more. I'm no soap maker, but I can imagine this might have an effect on how a soap lathers.

Probably. MdC may be more concentrated due to the aging, hence why it lathers faster and isn't as soft.

I'd agree with this statement. MdC cures their soap for a really long time. I can't remember when he decided to do this but I don't think it was more than a month ago. So clearly, he was not able to replicate all aspects of MdC. Based on the review it sounds like he was successful in doing something close in a very short amount of time.

OK, here is the puck pass list. Go ahead and add yourself.

1. bandg
2. gull

I'll also toss in a sample of Ian's hard soap that he sent me.

Very interesting. If you are making a list I'd like to be added please. I had my second shave with MdC yesterday and I have some mixed feeling about it. So it would be interesting to compare it to IdC.

*updated list*

1. bandg
2. gull
3. bladeruner

Last edited:
I also have MdC, and would love to compare if allowed to join your play group :biggrin1:

*updated list*

1. bandg
2. gull
3. bladeruner
4. OtherMoe

I wouldn't mind trying it out...sounds good.

*updated list*

1. bandg
2. gull
3. bladeruner
4. OtherMoe
5. PozzSka

I have some of Ian's Cedarwood soap/cream. It may not be much to look at but is produces some nice lather. Creamy and slick. Used it again this morning and had a great shave.

I have some of Ian's Cedarwood soap/cream. It may not be much to look at but is produces some nice lather. Creamy and slick. Used it again this morning and had a great shave.

I have the "sweet cedar" but it has almost no scent, I think it may have been from a relatively early batch. Maybe why I got it for free :lol:

Top Bottom