What's new

Shave shops, Louisville, KY

Does anyone know of such a place? Google is only so good at finding these places, and I'm sure I'm not digging around the right way.

Derby City Chop Shop for a shave.
For supplies, the only place I've found was Heimeldinger Cutlery. They have Merkur DE's, but not much else. Caswell Massey and Col. Conk stuff. I got tired of looking and started ordering online and selling what I didn't like here.

You can go across the bridge to my barber for a shave. Brownie Townsend's barber shop. His son Dwight runs it now, He will be shaving me tomorrow morning along with a haircut. Brownie gave me my first haircut. PM me for contact info and directions.

Thanks for the tips! I found Heimendinger online, but if their supply online is what they have in-store, it doesn't look very expansive.

I still need to find somewhere for a good shave. I'm on both sides of the river all the time. I live on one, work on the other. It would be nice to explore more around the area to see if there's any place else of value to mention.

So where are you guys from. I live in Jeffersonville. Been there all my life. Would love to form an informal club, perhaps meet occasionally to swap lies, equipment or just enjoy a tasty adult beverage.

I live in Louisville, but I work in New Albany. I wouldn't mind an occasional get-together or tasty adult beverage. Plenty of places to get the good beers, too.

I live just down the road in Frankfort and wouldn't mind getting together for a tasty beverage or meet up some time.

So where are you guys from. I live in Jeffersonville. Been there all my life. Would love to form an informal club, perhaps meet occasionally to swap lies, equipment or just enjoy a tasty adult beverage.

I live in Jeff as well.

I live in Louisville, but I work in New Albany. I wouldn't mind an occasional get-together or tasty adult beverage. Plenty of places to get the good beers, too.

Graduated from NAHS in 1974.

Just thought I chime in here. Live in California currently, but I am a Trinity 99' alum.

Fam still lives there, so wife and are back several times per year. Would love to find a place my dad could go to to get a proper shave. My father being somewhat of a local name and celebrity, his shaves embarrass me :laugh:

Last edited:
I just spoke with a woman at Heimerdinger Cutlery in Louisville on the phone. She seemed very nice, helpful and knowledgable. The only blades they carry are Merkurs and she said what you see online is pretty much what they have in-store. They at least sound helpful, even if they're limited on what they have.

Where else can you go to pick up different kinds of blades, soaps or anything else? I'm very hesitant to go to Kroger and try their generic brand DE blades.

As far as a straight razor shave, erg923, I'm looking around for that, too. I've heard some pretty absurd things about shops run by cosmetologists in the state of Kentucky. Fritz's Salon for Men mentions straight razor shaves on their website, but that only pertains to cleanup after a haircut. They won't shave you. I was told it has to do with archaic laws regarding barbers, including the requirements of having a separate room with separate plumbing to perform that sort of thing.

Also, I was told cosmetologists are not allowed to perform straight razor shaves, only licensed barbers. Is it just me, or does that seem a little sexist?

Since I appear to be the resident journalist (of this thread, anyway), I'll see what I can dig up!

But anyway, I was recommended to a man who's all of 80 years old somewhere on Cane Run Road who is supposed to be a master at straight razor shaving. I'll see if I can't track down the name.

Live in Louisville also! I said hey to Walter that I know from another spot. Straight razor newbie here and would love a get together some time.

Heimerdingers was running a sale on Saturday and I picked up a nice Caswell Massey brush, some Merkur blades and a stand. The older lady that helped me was very nice and somewhat knowledgable. They didn't have much of a selection, but they are the only place I've run into in Louisville that carries decent shaving supplies. Let me know if anyone finds someplace else.

Top Bottom