What's new

So what's wrong with Williams exactly?

It works for me, I suspect lots of these posters have an axe to grind for some reason. Is it $30 per puck? No. Is it the best shaving soap? Heck no. But it works. One has to be worthy to make Williams work. :001_rolle

It's not my go to shave soap but I use it. Used it this past morning, yes it has it's flaws. Most days when I use it I'll add some of my citrus Uberlather additive (sorry, my formulation) to it and turn it into something fantastic- really. Yesterday AM I used it sans that to test a brush. It still worked. Afterward I added more water and I got even more lather, the stuff works if one knows how to make lather with it. There's better shave soap, no doubt, but for $1.57/puck it's pretty darn good. Even better if one adds stuff when building the lather.

It works for me, I suspect lots of these posters have an axe to grind for some reason. Is it $30 per puck? No. Is it the best shaving soap? Heck no. But it works. One has to be worthy to make Williams work. :001_rolle

It's not my go to shave soap but I use it. Used it this past morning, yes it has it's flaws. Most days when I use it I'll add some of my citrus Uberlather additive (sorry, my formulation) to it and turn it into something fantastic- really. Yesterday AM I used it sans that to test a brush. It still worked. Afterward I added more water and I got even more lather, the stuff works if one knows how to make lather with it. There's better shave soap, no doubt, but for $1.57/puck it's pretty darn good. Even better if one adds stuff when building the lather.

Sure it makes lather, you can lather it up all day long, the problem is that the lather dies, it will not last 1 minute on your face.

Im cool on the uber lather, Id rather use something that just works...:thumbup:

This morning I tried it. I had no problem getting a good lather, although I had to whip it around a bit longer...

[YOUTUBE]JXXe2aVa1Ek[/YOUTUBE]

Crack that brush
Turn that puck to mush
You need the knack
It sure ain't Tabac

When that Williams comes along
You must whip it
Before the lather sits too long
You must whip it
There's something smells just wrong
When you whip it

Now whip it
Agitate
Lathers up
Like 10-30 weight
Go for it
Seraphim said
That it's defective
But that's just hate
So whip it
Whip it good

When a Williams thread is found
You must whip it
Make Michiganlover frown
When you whip it
There's sixty threads a day
'Cause we whip it

I say, whip it
Whip it good
I say, whip it
Whip it good

Williams is definitely latherable. But it just takes a lot more effort than my other soaps. I actually don't mind the scent. I find it rather refreshing. But you have to whip it so much that I would probably keep a whisk in my den if I were an avid william's user

Well with sales over $350 million a year they aren't diying very fast.:001_tt2:

Are you telling us that Combe is selling 350,000,000 pucks of Williams annually? I doubt it. :)

No! I'm telling you what Combe's annual sales are, look it up, google is a friend.

Combe makes other products besides Williams, namely Aqua Velva, Just for Men, Lectric Shave, Vagisil, and Sea-Bond. Thus it is very difficult to determine how much of that $350 million might be sales of Williams, but I would expect a pretty small %; especially considering that the rest of those products are mainstream products sold in practically every grocery store.

http://www.combe.com/

Old Timers who have always used a shaving brush, and continue to use it as they are oblivious that any other shaving soap actually exists.

As near as I can tell, the company spends zero dollars promoting their product; it's almost as if they understand they have a product that quite literally has a dying customer base. :biggrin1:

I agree I have not see or read a ad for Williams since the late 1970's!

Wow, I started quite a thread it seems...

I ordered the Tabac yesterday, it should arrive tomorrow. I'm curious to see how it stacks up to VDH Deluxe and Williams. I expect that I'll find it works well and there will probably be a thing or two I like better about it and a thing or two I'm not keen on. In the end, I think I'll find that they all work just fine and I'll not see a need to buy a lot of different ones after that. We shall see...

D

Combe makes other products besides Williams, namely Aqua Velva, Just for Men, Lectric Shave, Vagisil, and Sea-Bond. Thus it is very difficult to determine how much of that $350 million might be sales of Williams, but I would expect a pretty small %; especially considering that the rest of those products are mainstream products sold in practically every grocery store.

http://www.combe.com/

You are correct, but a viable company such as Combe is not keeping a supposed "dead horse" in their lineup just for fun.

I venture to say they make a profit on it.

You are correct, but a viable company such as Combe is not keeping a supposed "dead horse" in their lineup just for fun.

I venture to say they make a profit on it.

I never said they weren't making a profit on it, but I don't think it is their cash cow flagship product either. :tongue_sm

I think it's marginally profitable, and sales are enough for them to continue making the product. That doesn't mean that at some point in the future sales won't be lower, and they decide it's not worth their trouble any longer.

Last edited:
'You just have to whip it more.'

Yeah, but there are other bargain soaps/creams (like Real Shaving Co. and Arko) that are cheap and don't make you fight for your shave in the morning.

But I really mean it. I know, I know...

Seriously though, I have no intentions of buying lots of extra kit. Once I find what works for me, I have a tendency to stick with it. I'll try a few different things though to see what I like best. I got into this to save some money and get better results than the old M3.

D

Then you should literally order the Tabac, and never log back into this site again :)

Hanging out here will only make you want to try everything the rest of us are talking about. I too could survive on Williams, Tabac, and VDH from here until eternity using my VDH boar brush, but the addiction is strong, grasshopper.

Modern Williams is a functional shave soap, and if you like a strong citrus scent and have suitable water you literally may never need another product. I happen to enjoy citronella, and have a nice water supply so it's in my rotation. However, as I started using other products I started seeing some of the areas that Williams has weaknesses in compared to other products.

Use your Tabac for a straight week to 10 days, then come back to the Williams for a day and see if you have a different perspective.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have hard water, and Williams lathers fine for me.

Williams & Aqua Velva. The best wet shaving combination there is. Plain & simple.

Top Bottom