What's new

So what's wrong with Williams exactly?

Hey, that's the old "shaving with Williams is like eating human flesh" argument! Can't you come up with something new? :wink2:

Hey, that's the old "shaving with Williams is like eating human flesh" argument! Can't you come up with something new? :wink2:

I believe you have my post confused with the plotline for Fight Club, where the protagonist renders human fat to make boutique shave soap. I believe his angst, and the need for physical violence was precipitated by his dissatisfaction with modern Williams that drove him to put the beat down on his fellow group members. Same thing happened to Michiganlover.:w00t:

You know, I wanted to like Williams. Sounds odd maybe, but it's true. It's what my Dad uses, and...well...he's my Dad!

Just can't get over the smell....

Grate it into a shaving mug and add you favorite AS to it as you grate it when it all grated pour some more on top Press firmly in to the mug or bowl and put a lid on it. Then you have scented Williams because it has no scent added what your smelling is the tallow in the soap.

Grate it into a shaving mug and add you favorite AS to it as you grate it when it all grated pour some more on top Press firmly in to the mug or bowl and put a lid on it. Then you have scented Williams because it has no scent added what your smelling is the tallow in the soap.

Oh no you don't!

Here is the ingredient list from Williams:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium tallowate, Sodium cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium chloride, Titanium dioxide, Stearic acid, Pentasodium pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Fragrance! Right there in black and white.

Sure, it doesn't come right out and say "essence of bug spray", but it certainly does have added scent.

Oh how we have all told ourselves this in our naivety :lol:

Ha! I think I publicly declared a few times on the boards that all I needed was the cheapo soaps and creams and gear to get it done for me! Now I have a den with Acqua di Parma and T&H creams!!!!!! I cant stop buying and trying other stuff.......its a disease.....:mad2:

There is nothing wrong with modern Williams.

There's nothing wrong with McDonald's hamburgers.

Nothing wrong with the Oprah Winfrey show, Dr. Phil, and daytime soap operas.

There's nothing wrong with high gas prices.

Nothing wrong with pandering, ineffectual political leaders.

Nothing wrong with the lack of a moral compass in this modern world.

Nothing wrong about cannabalism.

Slippery slope (thin edge of the wedge, camel's nose): asserting that a relatively small first step inevitably leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant impact
Yep, because you don't like the odour of a 1$ soap, humanity has lost its moral compass. We are all doomed. We should all kill ourselves... before the zombies come to eat us alive.

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/04/01/building-your-resilinecy-part-vi-quit-catastrophizing/

Last edited:
If the OP hadn't noticed, there's quite a bit of hyperbole in these Williams threads. While I'm sure that plenty of people genuine dislike it, much of this is just arguing for the sake of arguing. It's like deciding that you hate a particular football or baseball team. Anything good that another person says about them will roll right off, and you'll always come up with another argument as to why they deserve your contempt.

I'll continue to say, from time to time, that I like Williams, don't find it at all hard to use, and don't have to use any special technique with it. Same for Mitchell's Wool Fat, another soap that some other people mysteriously have trouble with. MWF gets a bit more respect, though, because it costs more, and besides, it's English.:001_rolle

I don't much care for Tabac, but don't campaign against it, or try to persuade other people that they should agree with me. There's something to be said for trying a modest variety of soaps before reading this forum, although of course you do read some good suggestions here.

MWF gets a bit more respect, though, because it costs more, and besides, it's English.:001_rolle

Williams
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrances), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate

Williams
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrances), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate

Suggestion. Evaluate soaps based on how much you like using them before you read the ingredients list. I'm well aware that MWF has lanolin. I like Williams, I like MWF.

If its so terrible how do they stay in business. just wondering?

Old Timers who have always used a shaving brush, and continue to use it as they are oblivious that any other shaving soap actually exists.

As near as I can tell, the company spends zero dollars promoting their product; it's almost as if they understand they have a product that quite literally has a dying customer base. :biggrin1:

Well I'm not going crazy then!

I'm still going to order Tabac just to see how it stacks up. That is likely to be the last soap purchase for me though. I could be perfectly happy with just the Williams and VDH, but I want to try a good modern soap to see what it has going for it. The things I've read about it make me think it will be right up my alley. Those three pucks will likely last me for an extremely long time.

D

STOP BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!! I said the same thing...Proraso is fine I don't need anything else. Now I have about 4 different creams and five different soaps.

Too many people buy it thinking "Hey, it's less than $2. How bad could it be?"

This is also how they stay in business. Many high end soaps cost the same if not less per gram. Williams at $1 is still a rip off. It's by far the poorest performing soap I've used.

HaHa, With that logic the Yugo would not only still be being sold but one of the top 5 selling cars in the U.S.

Old Timers who have always used a shaving brush, and continue to use it as they are oblivious that any other shaving soap actually exists.

As near as I can tell, the company spends zero dollars promoting their product; it's almost as if they understand they have a product that quite literally has a dying customer base. :biggrin1:

Well with sales over $350 million a year they aren't diying very fast.:001_tt2:

Oh boy.

Try any other soap, then try Williams. It's not like $1.39 is going to break you. I had to try it - I don't like it. I like Col Conk Almond best of the ones I've tried. Still have not tried Proraso, AoS or MWF yet tho.

I will try it again when I feel I've gotten better. I didn't toss the puck... yet.

Top Bottom