What's new

side by side tests Semogue 1438, Special Pure and Best- actually bristle tests

OK, nothing scientific here, don't know how a scientific test could be conducted. These are my impressions only. It may read like a hatchet job, but I assure you that was not my intent. My intent was to get some "feel" for what folks on this forum refer to when discussing Badger quality and grading and to compare those to a decent Boar brush. After the test concluded I realized that this was actually more about bristle quality and comparison in the brushes than anything else.

VDH Deluxe was used for all the lathers, and I face lather so the test face was my own. I didn't test these brushes for bowl lathering- I don't do it and I wasn't interested in that. It takes me a few minutes to build face lather, and that's exactly what I want, I didn't scrimp on the time required to face lather for these tests, each brush got a fair shake.

These are the brushes.

From right to left, Simpson Special Best badger, Special Pure, and Semogue 1438 boar, forget the VDH to the left for now (we'll come back to it).
proxy.php
[/IMG]

So tonight I built lather with all 3 brushes side by side, one after the other. I've used both the 1438 and Pure badger previously, the 1438 once and the Pure a number of times. For the Best badger, this was the first time on the face. Previously I built a test hand lather to clean it (and do a sniff test- this too was another badger that showered regularly it seems) earlier in the day.

First up was the Simpson Special Best badger - the new today brush and the most expensive of the lot. It held water great, but as is my method I got rid of most of it, just what the bristles could hold after a heavy shake. Loaded the brush, then began building the lather. Dipped brush tips as I always do to hydrate the lather as required. Very soft brush, great lather. I could have developed the lather and gotten more, but I had enough for my normal shaving routine as it was, so I stopped. Very comfortable brush, soft to my skin, great quality lather, and plenty of it, could have gotten more, but I didn't since I saw what the brush could do. This brush is easily a keeper. I like it a lot. I'd easily buy another.

Next was the Special Pure. Same routine with a wiped off face. The brush was noticeably scratchy. Built lather great though, no noticeable difference in lather quantity or quality to the Best badger. But my face definitely felt the scatchyness, and it's like leather. My lower face was definitely exfoliated after using this brush. At the end of all the tests I used this brush to exfoliate and wash my forehead, nose, etc. . It was great for that and plenty of lather remained in the brush for it. OK, now a bowl latherer might find this brush great since the brush is in the bowl for most of the time and the brush is used to spread the lather. Much less face time for a bowl latherer with this brush. I'm a face latherer, and I will never need another Pure badger.

Next up was the 1438 boar. Same procedure for building the lather. This brush was noticeably easier on the skin than the Pure Badger. Just as easy to build lather as either of the badgers, and the lather quality was there as well. I saw no difference in quality or quantity of lather. This brush is new, I can't imagine what it'll be like in a month. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I don't plan on getting rid of any of these brushes, maybe I'll revisit this post in a month or 2 and update it after the boar breaks in, if it does break in (frankly I don't know if it needs it). It's a pretty nice brush right now, as is.

With my method of building lather all of the brushes work the same... relatively dry brush and dip tips to hydrate the lather as it's built on the skin, so for that it really makes no difference if the lather comes from Boar bristles or Badger. But I'll still be keeping and using the 2 brushes I rate top for me, and I'll use them both, frequently.

BTW, time to get back to the VDH Boar. It's softer than the Special Pure brush. I kid you not. I'm 3 full months into using that brush so maybe that makes a difference, but I don't remember any scratchy quality to the brush ever. The Pure Badger is just plain scratchy and my face is like leather. There are times when I'm going to want that, but not every day. BTW, right now, an hour later, my cheeks are still feeling the effects of the Pure brush.

Of the four brushes, the lowest quality as felt by my skin, is the Simpson Special Pure. I know this is heresy, but it's just plain scratchy and I'm not terribly sensitive to that. Can the Pure be used? Of course. It does make a great lather, but it won't be my everyday brush. Would I buy another? No, I face lather. The 1438 is a better brush for much less $ and does the same job while being easier on the skin. Would Pure Badger work for a bowl latherer? Absolutely.

I'll probably retire the VDH and keep the 3 new brushes out, using the Simpson Special Best Badger and the Semogue 1438 most often, maybe using the Best badger once a week or so to invigorate the skin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Brian! Just think--that Semogue is going to get even nicer with time. I still dig that wooden handle.

Yeah, I don't think I'd like Pure. I have two Simmo's in Best, a Chubby and Berk. The Chub just feels furry and thick, great feel, and the much less dense Berk has some pleasant soft scrub to it. Any more as in a Pure grade, and I'd find it too rough. All my boars have a softer feel than the Berkeley.

You can't really make such a comparison scientific, so don't worry about that. It'll come down to what you like best and what you keep reaching for most often. I'm betting it won't be the Pure.

Thanks for this comparison.

I considered getting a Simpsons Special in pure. Mostly because is was curious about the pure grade. Not because I need another shaving brush. :001_tongu Your tread convinced me to restrain my curiosity. :thumbup:

I don't think it's at all heretical to suggest that Simpson Pure is scritchier than at least some boars. There are plenty of boar brushes out there with soft tips. I'm a face latherer with sensitive skin and my Omega 10810 does right by me. I'll be picking up a Semogue to pair it with sometime soon.

Nice write-up.

great comparison, enjoyed reading it. I like the sound of the semogue. Im using a cheap synthtic one at the moment and my face does be in bits after ha. Pozzska is sending me out a silvertip. couldn't be more excited.
Just wondering do you ever gget bad irritation from face lathering??

great comparison, enjoyed reading it. I like the sound of the semogue. Im using a cheap synthtic one at the moment and my face does be in bits after ha. Pozzska is sending me out a silvertip. couldn't be more excited.
Just wondering do you ever gget bad irritation from face lathering??

Yes, in this case from Pure badger. My face burned.

Never from any other brush ever. I love the Special in Best, small, but fantastic brush, plenty of lather for 3+ passes despite it's size. (am I repeating myself?)

Heck, I just bought and disseminated to the forum 134 chinese boar brushes and after cleaning even THEY are softer than the Pure badger. Even the wife picked out the $.50 chinese boar as softer. Again Pure might be good for a bowl or handlatherer, just not for building lather on the face for 3-4 minutes. (I don't hurry lather/prep one bit) 100% my opinion.

OK, here's the pic of the $.50 Chinese boar compared to other brushes, a scale and a slim adjustable.

The cheap brush is to the left. It's a heck of a face latherer. My point? Price doesn't always reflect the worth of a brush.

proxy.php

I've tried brushes in pure from several brands and have been pleased with them. I recently got a Simpson Eagle pure and it's scritch level is nearing the point of being painful to face lather with in a circular motion, easily the harshest brush on the skin that I've tried. It lathers up soaps super fast and easy, I'm hoping that with some break in the tips will soften enough to be tolerable.

Is the Semogue breaking in nicely, Brian?

You know, my pure badger used to really irritate me. I would leave it lathered on the countertop overnight (I got the idea from a thread on how to break in boar brushes) and after repeating that for about a week, the tips became tolerable. I don't know if that will work for the Simpson but it worked for me.

Now, my badger brush is fine, but the Omega 49 and Semogue 620 still win.

Is the Semogue breaking in nicely, Brian?

You know, my pure badger used to really irritate me. I would leave it lathered on the countertop overnight (I got the idea from a thread on how to break in boar brushes) and after repeating that for about a week, the tips became tolerable. I don't know if that will work for the Simpson but it worked for me.

Now, my badger brush is fine, but the Omega 49 and Semogue 620 still win.

The 1438 almost doesn't even require a break in. I love the brush.

I'll try the overnight lathers to see if it helps. It can't hurt. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom