What's new

Michiganlover's Straight Razor Journal Take 2!

So, I am not entirely new to straights. There was a time period last year, where I shaved with straights everyday for at least three months. My original adventures with straights are detailed here:

Michiganlover's Straight Adventures

However, I didn't feel I was making very strong forward progress, and would frequently cut myself. Eventually I sold off everything, and went back to using a DE/SE/Injector/Trac II razor.

I then stumbled into 9 vintage straights for a mere $30, a deal I couldn't pass up, so I was quickly back into straights. :lol::lol:

Of the nine, I kept the best four (a King Razor with a mother of pearl tang, a Geneva, a Columbia, and a Worchester).

I sent the Columbia, and Worchester to Larry Andro for honing, trading four of the remaining razors from the nine to him for the cost of honing, and a barber's hone.

"DanJared" graciously offered to hone the King, and Geneva for me at no charge! Thanks Dan!

I have also acquired a 3" Black Latigo strop from Straight Razor Designs via the B/S/T for $58 shipped, and a 2" double English Bridle strop from Larry Andro (along with the balsa strop).

In addition, I also have a Parker Shavette.

Since all of my gear is now in my possession, tomorrow will be the maiden voyage for the beautiful King Razor. :w00t::w00t:

Here is the King Razor in all of it's glory (before honing):

proxy.php

Last edited:
You do not have to stick exclusively to straight shaving! In the last few months, I have shaved with an SE on every third shave. Not only does it provide variety, it also provides a sort of reference on what to aim for in terms of closeness and comfort. Welcome back and good luck!

Thursday May 12th, 2011

-5/8" King Razor
-3" SRD Black Latigo Strop
-Vintage Seafroth Soap
-VDH Premium Badger Brush
-Dickenson's Witch Hazel
-Brut AS

My first straight shave in at least 6 months turned out excellent!!

I did two WTG passes, and only felt the need to do cleanup with a safety razor on my upper lip.

My upper lip has always been a problem area (for any razor) as I have some bumps there from a childhood scar.

No major nicks/cuts, just some very mild weepers.

No serious irritation, and the shave even feels moderately close.

This is going to be a fun journey!! :thumbup1::w00t::thumbup1:

Congratulations on this first one of hopefully many successes. For me it really helps to massage shaving cream thoroughly into the difficult to shave areas such as the moustache area and the chin and then let it sit there for a while. I then apply a hot towel to my face followed by lathering up with soap.

Sometimes you just have to walk away from a problem and take a break. Taking a break from straights might have been what you needed. Good luck!

Welcome back to the land of straights.. hopefully Take 2 is better than the first try as it sounds like it so far. :thumbup:

sounds like a very soft reentry , BTW i really like that covered tang and feel sure one is in the cards for me, It just has yet to find me. the best of luck with this go around!!!

Ian

Glad to have you back! I've noticed I can get some great precision with a square point and a little care. I have a mole on mine that I was always tearing up, but no can effortlessly maneuver around it.

sounds like a very soft reentry , BTW i really like that covered tang and feel sure one is in the cards for me, It just has yet to find me. the best of luck with this go around!!!

Ian

Yeah, it really is a beautiful razor with a nice balance (although it was smaller than 5/8", I think 4/8"). I had a hard time parting with it when I finished honing and testing it! That MOP tang with the faux tortoise shell scales... killer combination. John, hold onto that one.

Sunday May 15th, 2011

-5/8" King Razor
-3" SRD Black Latigo Strop
-Queen Charlotte Celestial Woods SC
-VDH Premium Badger Brush
-Dickenson's Witch Hazel
-Avon Wild Country AS
-Avon Wild Country Cologne

Another great straight shave today. I escaped with a couple minor nicks, a vast improvement over the damage I have caused to my face in my past adventures. :lol::lol:

Did 3 passes today: WTG, WTG, and WTG @ 45 degrees. Probably classified as a SAS, but as I am going to church so I did do some touch up with a safety razor. :thumbup1:

Take care everyone!!

John,

Welcome back! I, like you, have been on again, off again over my sojourn. Every time I come back, it seems the shaves were better than my previous attempts.

Why is that?

Welcome back!

I have been lazy b/c of a shift change at work and haven't been shaving much lately. When I do it has been a quick 2 pass with the 1912 just to remove the major growth.

I think I'll break out the straights for my shave this evening. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom