What's new

Help Me Decide

I am torn between the following:

-D.R. Harris Marlborough
-Col. Conk Amber
-Czech + Speake No.88
-Tabac
-T+H Luxury

PLEASE recommend me one of these, not something else entirely, as some of you are prone to do.:glare:I appreciate your expert advice!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am torn between the following:

-D.R. Harris Marlborough
-Col. Conk Amber
-Czech + Speake No.88
-Tabac
-T+H Luxury

PLEASE recommend me one of these, not something else entirely, as some of you are prone to do.:glare:I appreciate your expert advice!

I like the performance of Harris Arlington (although I cannot speak about the C&Z yet). The Marlborough performs equally, by all accounts.

If you care performance over scent you can take Tabac.
If you care scent with performance you can take DR Harris.(I used Arlington)
If you care both with individuality(and want to pay more) you can take C&S.

Based on the ones you listed, and the fact that I have the Col. Conk amber, I would take it off your list. It smells nice, but is far from an average performer IMO. I don't like the smell of Tabac, but you might love it. It is a great soap.

Last edited:
Instead of C&S, get two DRH: Marlborough and Arlington.

Tabac is a great soap but soooo many people either don't like the scent or it causes some sort of reaction (hayfever type, coughing etc).

IMO Col Conk doesn't even belong on the list LOL
T&H is great too but I would choose DRH over it any day.

Marlborough and T&H would be my picks.

As far as scent goes, I consider all of your choices to be cold weather scents except for T&H which is a nice, fresh, soapy lavender. So if you want something for immediate use and you are not in the southern hemisphere, I would suggest T&H. Fantastic soap, perfect for spring and summer.

Last edited:
For a low price point Colonel Conk Amber is a fine shaving soap... It was one of the first I tried. It lathers great in a bowl. The glycerin provides good lubrication and it has a nice scent... I still keep it in my rotation. Cannot speak to the others as most of them are on my very long "want to try" list...

I suggest you follow my simple plan... Try to get them all...

I have picked up 12-13 shaving soaps/creams in the last 6 weeks... and I just ordered another 18 samples from Mama Bear...

UPS and Fedex are happy... My family is planning an intervention...

I'd suggest Tabac. Although it's not in the same league, I'd consider picking up a puck of Col. Conk too if you have the room. They are only a couple of $s and it's a nice value option (both Amber and Almond have great scents).

From those options, I recommend the Harris. I personally prefer Tabac's performance, but the scent is a point of contention.

My experience with these:

Marlboro - no, not a typo, I think this stuff smelled like a bag of ashtrays. Truly foul, I'm not picky at all about scents - if the soap's good, I'll use it, but this knocked me over. Performance was good, but couldn't get past the stench. PIFd it.

Conk Amber - pleasant enough scent, reasonable soap for the price, but there's better for not much more.

C&S - never tried it, won't either at that price.

Tabac - like the scent, love the lather. Wouldn't be without it. Dense, creamy, protective and slick.

T&H - Very nice lavender scented soap, good lather for a hard veggie soap, not exceptional shaver, but a good soap. Irritates my skin a tad, so don't use it anymore.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters. Pick one, try it out. Next time, pick another. You'll want to experience them first hand to determine how suitable they are for you anyway.

Keep in mind that scent is a highly subjective matter. Whether or not someone else likes or dislikes a scent really doesn't tell you anything unless you're really familiar with that person's preferences and how they relate to your own.

I have only used Harris out of that list and can't really recommend anything. Currently working through some Cella.

Last edited:
Top Bottom