What's new

I'm new to the site and I love what I see here: A community of people who are friendly and helpful to newbies and pros alike. Thanks in advance for the welcome.

I've used a badger brush to apply shaving cream for about a year now and loved the results from that change alone. Now, I've purchased a safety handle, some blades and some nice soap to get started. I'd like some feedback on anything you see in my setup.

Merkur 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
7 a.m. blades
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream bowl
The brush came from a gift set by The Art of Shaving

I'm shopping around for a better brush, but I'm not sure where to start. I've reviewed the differences between 100 percent pure badger, super badger and silvertip, but I'd rather not spend more than $40 for now.

Either way, I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B!

Great set up you got there, the razor and cream you choose are excellent and the brush should be more than sufficient at whipping up a great lather

If you find yourself having a hard time with those 7am blades I might suggest getting a sample pack of blades from westcoastshaving.com or razorbladesandmore.com

Otherwise, enjoy the process, take your time and ask lots of questions along the way.

Thanks, gaj. I'll check those out. The Merkur is still coming in the mail, so we'll see how the blades perform. Unfortunately, I confused these with Gilette's 7 O'Clock blades. Maybe it'll be OK.

Welcome to the B! Ditto on a sample pack. You can learn a lot about technic simply trying out different blades.

Look on the BST forum for a brush ... on occasion there are some great handmade badgers in your price range. I had one of those AOS brushes for quite a while. I'm glad to have expanded my horizons.

Welcome to the B! Ditto on a sample pack. You can learn a lot about technic simply trying out different blades.

Look on the BST forum for a brush ... on occasion there are some great handmade badgers in your price range. I had one of those AOS brushes for quite a while. I'm glad to have expanded my horizons.
I'll dig around and see what they have on there. I looked around eBay, but sometimes I wonder about used brushes. Should I?

Welcome!
I have two of the same items, the Mercur 23C or 180 and the TOBS Sandalwood (both good choices, if I do say so myself), and I completely agree: go for the blade sampler. Totally worth it, you get to try out different blades - and they really ARE different - and you'll find a great fit for your razor.

Good luck!

I also went through some of the other threads and learned a little about corking. Should that only be done before you shave, or anytime when you get the blades?

Welcome aboard! You might look at the Vulvix line of brushes. Reasonably priced and a decent enough brush.

Mike

Top Bottom