What's new

Hypothetical Restore question (or is it?)

Ok, so let's say a guy ends up with a Le Grelot Hospital that he picked up for a great deal.
Let's also say that the pictures were kinda small and you can't really tell if the blade is in the best of shape.
Let's go a little further and say that it might have an issue near the tang, but you can't tell (and you don't have it yet).

Since we're just pretending, let's also say that the scales look pretty beat up. But again, you got it for $22 shipped to your door.

So, if the blade is workable and I... uh.. whoever, doesn't destroy it trying to clean it up, would you suggest that I....uh... I mean this guy (..yes.. that'll do) should attempt to re-scale it or should he just try to restore it as best as he can.

I'm not even sure why I'm asking this.... It's purely a hypothetical situation...nothing like this is happening to me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, ask that other guy how bad the scales really are. If he had some decent motor skills he should unpin the razor, clean up everything really nice, and then repin with those TI nail and washer sets they sell to keep things historically similar.

If he utterly destroys the scales...

he may like some scales made out of ghost jade G10.

The thing was only 22.00 after all.

Pics?

Well, ask that other guy how bad the scales really are. If he had some decent motor skills he should unpin the razor, clean up everything really nice, and then repin with those TI nail and washer sets they sell to keep things historically similar.

If he utterly destroys the scales...

he may like some scales made out of ghost jade G10.

The thing was only 22.00 after all.

Pics?

I'll get some up as soon as I get it.
It's coming from France.
Where else to find French razors? It's almost too easy. :tongue_sm

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'll get some up as soon as I get it.
It's coming from France.
Where else to find French razors? It's almost too easy. :tongue_sm

Hmmmmmmm......need you, errr that guy, understand French to do this??

Nope, I only speak cereal-box French.
That's what you get when you're my age and live in Canada.
I know some key words in the description, but anything complex I have to translate.

Nope, I only speak cereal-box French.
That's what you get when you're my age and live in Canada.
I know some key words in the description, but anything complex I have to translate.

If you use the Chrome browser, it can translate pages for you. It's very handy for browsing international ebay sites.

BTW, if you do end up translating, the common word for Straight razor in french translates to cabbage cutter, just so it doesn't throw you off. Pretty funny though.

If you use the Chrome browser, it can translate pages for you. It's very handy for browsing international ebay sites.

BTW, if you do end up translating, the common word for Straight razor in french translates to cabbage cutter, just so it doesn't throw you off. Pretty funny though.

Yeah, I use Chrome on my home PC.
I've seen the cabbage thing. It makes me laugh every time.

Totally off topic, but on any chinese websites like Taobao, the word "item" or "product" is translated into "baby". Obviously they use the character for "precious something" for both babies and to illustrate ow exclusive the goods they sell are...

Now - soeey for the interruption - back on track.

Good luck with the restore! I have one I´m going to try as well.

Top Bottom