What's new

When did Williams soap offer the "shaving mug" for 4.95?

I just picked up 2 pucks of Williams soap that had Tallow as the first ingredient for 2 dollars each.

Inside is an offer for a Williams shaving mug for 4.95. anyone know when this soap was made? The soap is marked at 39 cents.

Can't help you with when it was made, but I'd love to see a Williams Mug. Never seen one before. Guess I'll check out Ebay to see what one looks like.

I just picked up 2 pucks of Williams soap that had Tallow as the first ingredient for 2 dollars each.

Inside is an offer for a Williams shaving mug for 4.95. anyone know when this soap was made? The soap is marked at 39 cents.

Does the box look like this:

proxy.php

If so, that was a particular promo celebrating the Nation's Bicentennial. So this would have been released in 1975-1976.

One would think those Pewter Mugs would be super plentiful, but I have only ever seen one for sale on Ebay, and it went for much more than I would be willing to spend on it ($40+ if memory serves correctly).

Lots of information about Vintage Williams can be found here:

Identifying Vintage Williams

Does the box look like this:

proxy.php

If so, that was a particular promo celebrating the Nation's Bicentennial. So this would have been released in 1975-1976.

One would think those Pewter Mugs would be super plentiful, but I have only ever seen one for sale on Ebay, and it went for much more than I would be willing to spend on it ($40+ if memory serves correctly).

Lots of information about Vintage Williams can be found here:

Identifying Vintage Williams

Yep, thats exactly what they are, the image on the left is the one i have. 2 of them.

I'm debating whether to use them or to save them as trade material on the B/S/T forum.

Yep, thats exactly what they are, the image on the left is the one i have. 2 of them.

I'm debating whether to use them or to save them as trade material on the B/S/T forum.

Use it, it's a fantastic soap, I have some of the same and some a little earlier, thick rich lather.

Use it, it's a fantastic soap, I have some of the same and some a little earlier, thick rich lather.

+1

Vintage Williams is really awesome stuff!

You owe it to yourself to try one of the pucks at least a handful of times, just so you can fully understand how crapified the product has become in it's most recent incarnation.

+1

Vintage Williams is really awesome stuff!

You owe it to yourself to try one of the pucks at least a handful of times, just so you can fully understand how crapified the product has become in it's most recent incarnation.

>_>

I get wonderful shaves from the current Williams soap. The lather might not look the best, but i can move my razor around my face like an Olympic skater when i use Williams, something i cannot do with other soaps/creams.

>_>

I get wonderful shaves from the current Williams soap. The lather might not look the best, but i can move my razor around my face like an Olympic skater when i use Williams, something i cannot do with other soaps/creams.

Yeah, you really should try the vintage stuff. I also like the modern version a lot, but the vintage is definitely better.

If someone answered your question I didn't see it. I am not sure but for Williams to have been that price I am thinking 60's early 70's. To be sure if you do a search on williams there is a thread identifying all of the boxes and there years and it also is narrowed down by place of Manufacture. Sorry I am not of more help.

If someone answered your question I didn't see it. I am not sure but for Williams to have been that price I am thinking 60's early 70's. To be sure if you do a search on williams there is a thread identifying all of the boxes and there years and it also is narrowed down by place of Manufacture. Sorry I am not of more help.

Michiganlover did in post #3. I knew of the ones for $4 but the OP said his showed the mug's price was $4.95 and that's what I looked for.

Michiganlover did in post #3. I knew of the ones for $4 but the OP said his showed the mug's price was $4.95 and that's what I looked for.

He indicated that the mug's cost was $4.95, and this was indicated on the internal wrapping of the soap. He then went on to say his is the save $4 box I linked too above. I don't believe the mug was an entirely free item; the promo was simply alluding to the fact that the mug was valued at more than they were selling it for.

In addition to the two save $4 boxes shown above (which exist in the left, and right configurations as shown above, that is not a photo trick) there was also a save $3 box as well, which leads me to believe the promo may have run for more than one year. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Somewhere on here there is a pic of a block of 1969 era Williams. That had 19 cents pre-printed as the suggested retail price. Since we had hyperinflation in 1973-1974 (prices went up about 35 per cent in those two years alone even though Tricky Dick attempted to fix prices at 1973 levels permanently and eliminate inflation altogether, which is not economically feasable), 39 cents is about right for a 1976 price in my estimation.

Top Bottom