What's new

Shaving with an Open Comb razor

I shaved with a vintage Gillette Tuckaway for the first time last night and man did it shred my neck! I used a fresh Astra (don't ask me why, it's not my favorite blade) and lathered up with some Acca Kappa almond shave cream and a TGN best badger restored Fuller.

I've been shaving with a rotation of a Merkur 33c, a Jagger de89L, and a Gillette Fat handle tech, all three doing really well, and my blade of choice is a perrsonna red, regardless of razor. Usually I prefer to shave with a tub of P160 but I often rotate my cream so I don't run out of it. Regardless, I've been getting great shaves for the past couple of months (I'm a fairly new DE shaver) and very pleased with my progress. The Tuckaway is my first and only (so far) OC.

However, last night was like starting over. Today I've read lots of threads about shaving with an OC and I've realized I might have applied to much pressure or gotten the angle wrong. Does anyone have any comments on the Tuckaway in particular? Is it more aggressive than the "beginner" razors I'm using or are OC razors more aggressive in general? Is there a technique difference? I noticed that I choked up on the handle so that my fingers and thumb held it at the base near the head, which is odd because my 33c handle is the same size (perhaps a weight difference?).

The one main difference I see is the open comb of the Tuckaway vs. the others. Does this make a difference? I chalked it up to aesthetics but perhaps that makes a difference? Or it could just be that Astra, which if I remember correctly wasn't such a great shave the last time I tried it in my Jagger, either.

I think the tuckaway is a very aggressive razor. I use Astra blades in aggressive razors like old head muhle open comb with no problems.

I've found that any open comb is a more aggressive razor than any safety bar DE. However with practice, a light touch, and some practice, the OC razor gives a much better shave than the safety bar DE.

Just be sure to use a very light touch, and watch how fast the OC will become your go to DE. :thumbup1:

Yep, that about sums it up, doesn't it. In fact, that description is about identical to the way my face and neck felt as well as the way the razor felt and shaved. Funny, though, I looked up the Tuckaway in the reviews and somehow missed it.

Just be sure to use a very light touch, and watch how fast the OC will become your go to DE. :thumbup1:

Great, here comes the OCAD...

thanks all, now I know why I burn. I'll try to lighten up next time.

Chris, the Gillette NEW (with the long comb) is a more forgiving razor, and one of my favs.

however, those Astra blades would rip me up regardless of razors.

Chris, the Gillette NEW (with the long comb) is a more forgiving razor, and one of my favs.

however, those Astra blades would rip me up regardless of razors.

I was only seconds away from getting a NEW just today on the BST board. I sent the PM and returned to the thread only to find I was JUST beaten to it. Ah, well, they will come around again.

And yeah, what was I thinking about the Astras? Just not for me. The next time I'll load a Personna Red, they're much more forgiving.

Top Bottom