What's new

Bay Rum

Can anyone tell me who makes the best Bay Rum After-shave? I would love to try some but don't want to purchase the wrong one, Thanks Ian

That is a tough call, indeed. While I'm willing to wager that nearly every reply to this will vary, here's my contribution:

Pinaud Bay Rum - I like this stuff, and my wife loves it. It is a fairly potent and lasting cologne. It is also priced very competitively.

Dominica Bay Rum Lime - I absolutely love the smell of this version. As a splash, however, I find the staying power to be relatively short lived (around 3 hours). I am waiting on the arrival of an atomizer (should be here tomorrow) to see if a different mode of application will increase this item's durability. Either way, the smell is so good, I would be perfectly willing to carry the atomizer on my person for frequent reapplication if it proves necessary.

My recommendation would be to order both. Total cost should only set you back about $25 and will give you the ability to make a good judgment on which one fits you best, or for that matter, if you like bay rum at all.

I'll go with Kyle on this one, however add some Lucky Tiger Bay Rum to it. It's cheap (I think 16oz is about $7.00) but on the downside-doesn't last that long. I think that the Pinaud lasts longer. Number one favorite is still the Dominica-hands down a winner and very addictive stuff.

On a side note for whoever is into it: about a month ago as an experiment I recently mixed some Dickenson's Blue Label Witch Hazel with some Dominica Original Double Distilled A/S. I had been using the Witch Hazel but, like others the woody scent was starting to get to me. At a 50/50 mix ratio in a 2 oz., cheapy spray bottle I find that the Bay Rum complments the woody smell and is quickly becoming one of my new obsessions. Smells great, feels great and a 2 oz. bottle lasts quite some time. I recently just added a couple of drops of Vitamin E to the mix but it sort of fouled up the scent and I don't think that I'll add it again.

Anyways, recap: go with the Pinaud and Dominica, make sure that you even like Bay Rum first. Then branch out and add the others to it.

-Pary

for me, Pinaud Bay Rum's the bomb! I also have DR Harris' version, which is nice as well, but rather weak in staying power. Pinaud stays on me for hours.

Jeff

Hello-I use about 3-4 types of Bay Rum aftershave/colognes. I had a small bottle of Pinaud Bay Rum which I mixed with some remnant Michelson"s Bay Rum from Caswell-Massey, and it lasted quite long. I use GFT Bay Rum cologne which I obtained from Sephora a few years back for $10 when the line didn't sell and they couldn't give it away. To me it has more of a clove scent than Bay Rum, and is very light.
I use DH Harris Bay Rum aftershave which is light. I also use the SOap Opera aftershave with Bay rum fragrance. My favorite however, is Burt's Bees Bay RUm cologne and aftershave balm. The balm has alcohol and burns, while the cologne is long-lasting. Unfortunately, it is no longer manufactured.

Bay Rum is one of my favorite scents. I have tried and been unhappy with about twenty to thirty different brands....at times it felt like I've tried every bay rum known to man. Then I discovered....the holy grail of Bay Rums, Meehans.
proxy.php

It's a small batch microbrewed Bay Rhum and it's fantastic. Great scent and lasts a looong time. You can get it and Bay Rum soap which is also great, at :
http://www.bonnydoonfarm.com/

Enjoy, Cliff

Hey Cliff,

I'm with you on the Meehan's Bay Rhum...I just received a bottle a few weeks ago as a present. I love the smell (sort of the spicey varity) and it has some great lasting power. I wanted to ask you though, do you find your batch to leave a sticky residue after you apply it? For some reason I've had some major problems getting the stuff out of the bottle without making a complete mess and wasting who-knows-how-much of the stuff and then I find that I have sticky patches where ever I applied it. I'm thinking of putting it into a little spray bottle for easier application but, I don't know what is with the residue problem. Just wondering if you have found some of the same problems.

-Pary

Rusty Shackleford said:
Hey Cliff,

I'm with you on the Meehan's Bay Rhum...I just received a bottle a few weeks ago as a present. I love the smell (sort of the spicey varity) and it has some great lasting power. I wanted to ask you though, do you find your batch to leave a sticky residue after you apply it? For some reason I've had some major problems getting the stuff out of the bottle without making a complete mess and wasting who-knows-how-much of the stuff and then I find that I have sticky patches where ever I applied it. I'm thinking of putting it into a little spray bottle for easier application but, I don't know what is with the residue problem. Just wondering if you have found some of the same problems.

-Pary
Pary,

When I first got mine I immediately decanted into a small cobalt blue spray bottle 1 oz size - no problems. I keep the large bottle and refill as neccessary. I have noticed that there is a large concentration of essential oils which is why it smells so good and lasts so long. This causes it to be, for lack of a better word, oily ?? But only a little bit. When you spray, it's not so much and real easy to live with.

Cliff

Thanks for the info Cliff,

Soon as I get around to it, I plan on putting it into a small spray bottle. Right now I don't use it that much in my rotation however; once it is in a spray bottle it will most likely become a regular.

-Pary

I can only recommend one at the moment (Captain's Choice, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum and others mentioned above are on my to-try list), which is Ogallala. Their normal Bay Rum is very nice, provides a good burn and then it continues to sooth throughout the day. My face always feels soft and moisturized. If you want a nice spinoff, I would also recommend their Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns. I've mentioned it in other threads, but you really can't go wrong in buying the Bonanza sampler pack.

Ive tried and enjoyed...

HBG - Bay Rum, not your traditional Bay Rum but very very nice, my wifes fav of all my aftershaves, and my FIRST aftershave i actually finished - i need more.
Pinaud Bay Rum - Very sweet and quite clovey, i really enjoy it though.
Captains Choice - this is a very strong pungent traditional bay rum scent, it burns like the dickens but leaves the face feeling amazing.
Ogallala Sample pack - i tried these and enjoyed them though i found them to be weak and not lasting well

Ive tried and enjoyed...

HBG - Bay Rum, not your traditional Bay Rum but very very nice, my wifes fav of all my aftershaves, and my FIRST aftershave i actually finished - i need more.
Pinaud Bay Rum - Very sweet and quite clovey, i really enjoy it though.
Captains Choice - this is a very strong pungent traditional bay rum scent, it burns like the dickens but leaves the face feeling amazing.
Ogallala Sample pack - i tried these and enjoyed them though i found them to be weak and not lasting well

I've been thinking about HBG's Bay Rum for a while, but always pass it over. Maybe I'll roll the dice on it. I did really like their Key Lime.

Today I went full bay rum with OSP Bay Rum soap (Obsessive Soap Perfectionist-recommended) and Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum aftershave. Scent of cinnamon is too dominant in the Pinaud in my opinion, but it has an excellent feel and skin looks great afterwards (although it burns like a ....)

Top Bottom