What's new

Guess that book quote

This is like the other "guess" threads, except here we present famous quotes from well known books. Usually (but not always) the quote will be the opening or closing line of the book.

The person who guesses correctly gets to post the next challenge.

I'll start the thread with an an easy one:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

This is like the other "guess" threads, except here we present famous quotes from well known books. Usually (but not always) the quote will be the opening or closing line of the book.

The person who guesses correctly gets to post the next challenge.

I'll start the thread with an an easy one:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

A Tale of Two Cities.

Another easy-ish one, though markedly not an opening or closing line.

"Fear is the mind-killer/Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration."

...ok I'm 99% sure I'm right so I'm gonna go ahead and post mine :) it's also pretty mainstream

"But the empty high-ceilinged room in which he was forced to lie flat on the floor made him nervous, without his being able to tell why – since it was, after all, the room in which he had lived for the past five years – and turning half unconsciously and not without a slight feeling of shame, he scuttled under the couch."

Alright, I guess it's just us playing for now, heh.

That's Fahrenheit 451.

Here's one.

"The Guide and I into that hidden road
Now entered, to return to the bright world;
And without care of having any rest

We mounted up, he first and I the second,
Till I beheld through a round aperture
Some of the beauteous things that Heaven doth bear;

Thence we came forth the rebehold the stars."

cripes it's inferno? man it's been a long time since I read that, the translation is irritating and I haven't gotten around to learning Italian yet :tongue_sm

Last edited:
cripe it's inferno? man it's been a long time since I read that, the translation is irritating and I haven't gotten around to learning Italian yet

That's the one! He and Virgil (the Guide) emerge from the final level of Hell back to the surface. This happens to be Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's translation.

hmmm, I believe I read the "dorothy sayers" flavor... either way it almost took the fun out of the story, but that might just be the way it's written :lol:

OK here's a change of pace, from one of my all time favorites

"What's your road, man?--holyboy road, madman road, rainbow road, guppy road, any road. It's an anywhere road for anybody anyhow."

Top Bottom