What's new

First Shave with Slim Adjustable

So, I was lucky enough to get a Slim Adjustable in a PIF. I put a Derby in it, set it to #2 and started!

Niiiice! Fantastic shave. Much closer than my Tech. WAY better than my SS. Only problem I had -- I didn't tighten down the doors. So, it started coming loose. I fixed it and had a nearly perfect shave!

Thank you to my mystery PIF'er!!

So, I was lucky enough to get a Slim Adjustable in a PIF. I put a Derby in it, set it to #2 and started!

Niiiice! Fantastic shave. Much closer than my Tech. WAY better than my SS. Only problem I had -- I didn't tighten down the doors. So, it started coming loose. I fixed it and had a nearly perfect shave!

Thank you to my mystery PIF'er!!

Don't be afraid to try the higher settings. It really isn't that scary!

The slim is a phenomenal razor. Truly one of gillette's bests. You can just feel the quality and precision that went into it every time you use it. Enjoy the great shaves :thumbup:

You know to give it a little more of a turn after the doors close right? You'll feel resistance, but do it, just don't force it much. It's about 1/4 turn.

I love the Slim.

When your confidence and ability grows, your selection of higher settings will make the BBS shave we all crave easier to obtain. You'll get there. Some folks insist "9" is the only way to go. Some adjust for WTG, XTG, ATG. Some find a setting and keep it there. Yesterday I had it on 6 for all passes. Today I turned it back to 5 with no loss of shave quality or ease in achieving it. It might be the blade, I don't know. I'll play it by ear, next blade might see it get set up again. What I'm saying is it's your Slim use it as you want.

Yes the slim is nice, gives great shaves, you can raise it up to a 5 and still get a comfortable shave, some guys on here raise it to a 7. I haven't made it that far yet, but i will get there. :001_smile

Yes the slim is nice, gives great shaves, you can raise it up to a 5 and still get a comfortable shave, some guys on here raise it to a 7. I haven't made it that far yet, but i will get there. :001_smile

i dialed mine up to 6 yesterday and after my shave i couldn't figure out why my face was so red :blushing: i had a feather in it, not realizing it while i was shaving and i guess my face couldn't handle it.

oops, i guess i should check the blade before starting. that shave aside...it's a great razor and in my rotation more then most.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Having both a Slim and Fatboy and loving both, I like the Slim the best, running it on 4 or 5 depending on the blade.

Great razor! I tried it on 9 with a shark and it was beautiful. I tried it with an Astra on 9 and it was interesting. Maybe my prep was wrong or I was confident, I don't know. One of my favorite razors. I also use it to shave my head, on a much lower setting of course. Enjoy and experiment.

I started shaving with my Slim yesterday. I put a drugstore branded Personna in it and started at 4. I got a very smooth SAS after two passes and some touch up. Today I opened it up to 5 and got a near BBS, still very smooth. Tomorrow I'll open it to 6. Clearly, the Slim is one of Gillette's best razors. It shaves better than my Tech or my Superspeed.

The slim is my first and last adjustable. I pondered on a progress, but I settled for my gillette. Great shaves ahead!

The slim is great, nice razor. My face cringes at Derbys though

I used to cringe at them, actually. But I 'hand strop' them or cork them before my first use.

I know that it's not supposed to make a difference. But I will say this...If I DON'T do that, the first shave with a Derby is painful. The subsequent shaves are okay, though. If I DO strop/cork them, it's a pleasant shave every time.

Top Bottom