What's new

I'm finally getting it

After getting off to a rather difficult start over the last month--mostly concerning cream and lather--my DE shaving technique is finally improving to the point that I'm in full control, and it's a wonderful pleasure.

Today I used soap for the first time. I'm not even sure of the brand, as I received a soap-laden mug via a PIF. I am pretty sure that I screwed up the lather, using way too much water, but what amazed me was that it didn't turn out to matter nearly as much as it has with creams; the soap was way more forgiving, and I got perhaps the best shave yet using a too-runny lather.

If I'm counting correctly, today was my fifteenth DE shave. Only around my twelfth time did I finally feel confident in some of the discoveries, graduating from hypotheses to truths.

I am still not very good with making lather, and my shaving speed is slow enough that I can't lather my entire face and do a whole pass. Instead, I can do both sides, including cheeks and chin, but by then anything on my neck has dried too much to trust it. When it's time for each side of the neck, I lather from below the ear inward over the Adam's apple, shave one side, then lather the other side and shave that. This is working out for me in terms of safety and comfort, but it may be a sign of how far my lathering technique needs to come, and how much my shaving speed needs to increase.

One peculiarity is that I notice that the lather on my second and third passes is better than the first. It paints on better, smearing into a glaze when I use the sides of the brush. My theory is that by then the brush has dried out more, and that during my first pass the brush is still laden with too much water to allow the lather to build up on and stick to my face like it does in the later passes. I intend to squeeze the brush out more before starting next time.

Another thing that's hard to explain is how my control of the razor has improved. Rather than it seeming like a heavy, awkward thing to knock around slicing my face, I now concentrate more on controlling the blade edge itself, with the whole razor body just an elaborate shell around that locus. In other words, I can move my hand around on the razor and adjust the angles and pressure induced, all in the service of putting the blade where I want it. It's almost like imagining holding the blade itself at its edges, and not being distracted by the guards and lever arms attached to it. I don't know that this idea can be taught forcibly, but it has been very useful to learn.

I'm also learning that my hair growth on my neck is not well suited for the commonly prescribed WTG-XTG-XTG regimen. The first two passes are useful, but, at least for everything below the jaw, the third pass is usually just irritating without actually getting the most stubborn growth along the center of my neck and in the cavities below the jawline. For that, I can do some very careful touch-up passes that mix XTG and even a little ATG. Of course, I could not have pulled that off when first starting, but now I can do it without bleeding, and can sense when the lather and angle aren't right to preclude irritation. Being able to feel the irritation coming before committing to the problematic pass allows one to stop, study the hair, plan a better angle, apply more lather, and go at it safely.

Many people ask how many shaves one can get from a DE blade. I've only been through four blades so far, but for me four shaves per blade is the maximum. (I shave every other day, so that's two days of growth per shave.) Unlike my experience with cartridge and disposable multi-blade razors, where a new razor would always bring bleeding and irritation, a new DE blade is an absolute pleasure, and by the fourth shave the difference in cutting effectiveness is apparent--and just shy of painfully apparent.

I was starting to doubt all the glowing recommendations of this whole hobby (it is a hobby, right?), but there's a hump there that must be overcome. Some report on surmounting it on their first try. That has not been my experience, but I have gotten over something recently, and now I finally have what I was seeking--being able to look forward to shaving, rather than dreading it. Every other day is another chance to get better.

Bravo! It is nice to reach this plateau when things become much easier! Yes, it is a hobby, and a very fun hobby at that!

That was a good read!

Is it a hobby !? Hell NO! It becomes an addiction! :thumbup: That's why lots of times the first stuff is free and you have to pay after that!

About lather? Practice. Just becasue you make lather, that doesn't mean you need to shave with it. Lather makes a huge difference.

You'll get it (you already are by the sound of it), billions of shavers before you have, and our gear is better and there's way more help.

It took me far longer to get the hang of making good lather than it did to having a good shave with the DE razor. Keep at it and practice making lather everyday in the evening and it will all come together.

Good for you!! I am new also, and after some horrendous shaves, I'm getting better, results wise. Keep at it....It does get easier...

Well done to the OP. Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. I know there are stories of first time DE shavers nailing it but I have a bit of a...difficult time buying it. I started out with a DE when I was fifteen years of age. I dropped it within a year or two for cartridges and returned to the proper way about eight years ago. I had just as much learning curve the second time around. Really it boils down to motor memory.

Once your hand automagically starts doing what your brain envisions, then it becomes much easier. I have tried to approach razor technique by mentally picturing the blade just in contact with the skin across its width. This usually gives the proper pressure. And do NOT hurry the strokes. You will get into more trouble by hurrying things.

Now since we/me/you/everyone who starts this endeavour always jumps to the razor straight away, lets go where we should have started in the first place; prep. I would encourage you to focus almost ENTIRELY upon your preparation technique. And remember, lathering IS prep when you get down to it. You are literally finishing the preparation of your beard to commence the shaving. Work on your initial wetting and softening of the beard with warm water, and then the quality of your lather and how you apply it. I would also urge you to try working your beard with the initial lathering for a good two minutes solid. Does that sound like a short time? Grab a cheap kitchen timer or set a timer on the microwave or anything you can hear readily and then start lathering. You would be surprised how long two minutes is. Sometimes I will work the brush for three or four minutes on the first pass. Now mind you, these are great quality badger silvertips that have very soft tips and make dense lathers. Boar bristle or best badger may be a bit harsh for such lengthy lathering.

Another thing to consider trying if you are having trouble with lather stability is letting the brush stand for a good minute whilst you let the lather hydrate a bit more. Sometimes this helps with slightly sudsy lather. If this does not help, load more soap or cream and keep mixing it. You will waste a bit of product at first but it will teach you about water to soap ratios. And do not worry, ALL of us started out using too much water in our lathers. Consider it your initiation.

Sounds like you are off to a great start lads. Give a solid two months and you will lathering and shaving like old hands.

Regards, Todd

My lathering was poor for my first 8 months or so. I eventually watched all the bids to find out what the heck I was doing wrong because pretty much every shave was poor. Turned out it was my lather. It's great you're tackling it so early.

I'm just starting to get a good lather now, after 2 months of DE shaving. Turns out I just hadn't spent enough time prepping. I'd been so used to just scooshing gel from a can onto my face and dragging a 'razor' over my face. Glad I've finally got it. :)

I would also urge you to try working your beard with the initial lathering for a good two minutes solid. Does that sound like a short time? Grab a cheap kitchen timer or set a timer on the microwave or anything you can hear readily and then start lathering. You would be surprised how long two minutes is.

This is a great point. Yesterday, I just forced myself to face lather for a full two minutes. The result was so much better than what I had been getting previously. Consequently, during my shave I ended up with just one little nick along the jaw line.

Chris

My lathering was poor for my first 8 months or so. I eventually watched all the bids to find out what the heck I was doing wrong because pretty much every shave was poor. Turned out it was my lather. It's great you're tackling it so early.

Comments like this make me wonder if I shouldn't go back to the drawing board! Just when I thought I was getting somewhere...

Perhaps it's time to get some feedback!

Nice read, good stuff. I've taken to making some practice lather whenever I have a few minutes and it's quite helpful. Taking it from "too dry" to "waaay too much water" is helpful to see how adding a little at a time makes a difference (and also to be able to tell what "too much" looks like, without then trying to shave with it).

And hi from a fellow 'Burgh-er. :001_cool:

SEH, That's Charismata Cherry Tobacco Soap, put a tablespoon of Warm Water on the puck ~5 minutes before loading your brush. Your brush should load easier and after ~45 seconds you should have a good cream in your brush. I'd go an extra 30 seconds it wouldn't hurt and you can always add water.

Top Bottom