What's new

We covered the overrated shaving stuff. How about the underrated??

There it is gents. I was quite pleased and enlightened on what you guys think or view as over-rated shaving products.

What are the true "bargains" in the shaving world? Are there products out there that don't get the recognition they deserve?

I think shave sticks in general are fairly underrated. It seems like some guys are either afraid of or completely against using them, but they're really easy to use. They take all of the guesswork out of water/soap ratios and they're perfect for tossing in a Dopp kit for travel.

As a new wet shaver, I'm very interested in the replies to come.

As helpful as the other thread is in keeping a skeptical outlook (it's easy to get suckered when you're new) the 'bang for your buck' factor is critical in getting into something new.

I'm also going to start the pie-flinging by saying WILLIAMS!

I've gone through only one puck, and it's the only puck I've ever gone through. All I have to compare it to is VDH Deluxe and the VDH Luxury. It took a lot of work to get to where I could consistently get Williams to lather, and the lather isn't super fluffy and luxurious, but the shave is smooth and it doesn't dry my skin.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Let say, what did I use that was underrated IMO....

-Obscure brand name straight razor found on eBay for very very cheap
-Re-knotted vintage shaving brush.
-Japanese Aftershaves. I won't say it often enough, those are Gems. Shaving cream and shaving soap might not be the big hip thing but those AS, they are worth it!

Just about ALL imported DE blades. Ridiculously cheap and MOST of them are terrific.

Arko Stick .... one of the best lathering shave soaps for about the price of a candy-bar. The smell is just because they want to give the other guys a chance!

-VDH Deluxe, and VDH Luxury (good solid soaps for little coin).
-Boar Brushes: every bit as good as badger.
-The Lord LP1822 with the Merkur like head: An incredible razor, and a total steal at it's $10 price.
-The Trac II: yes it's a cartridge razor, but it also gives a close, comfortable shave with no fuss.
-Drug Store Classic Aftershaves (Clubman, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Brut, Old Spice, Avon Wild Country).
-Schick Injector razors: so easy to use, it feels like cheating.

Last edited:
I think shave sticks in general are fairly underrated. It seems like some guys are either afraid of or completely against using them, but they're really easy to use. They take all of the guesswork out of water/soap ratios and they're perfect for tossing in a Dopp kit for travel.

I knew someone would mention the plethora of shaving sticks. I have yet to try them

Gillette Fatboys

Tallow soaps

BIG brushes

Most of that other thread is bovine excrement (except what I wrote :tongue_sm)

Top Bottom