What's new

Grill

Well our old grill died last week so we picked up a Charbroil infra red replacement. Most of Saturday was spent looking at grills. I'm sorry I just can't see spending the kind of money they want for Weber gas grills - besides that my brother in law had one that only lasted 3 years before the burners rusted out...Weber wanted $200 for replacements. We're using the new one for the first time tonight - just burgers but I can't wait to see how it does.

We keep a cheap $100 gaser around for quick weeknight dinners and hot dogs, but the money is in the Chargriller and accessories.

If it would have been up to me I would have gotten a good old charcoal Weber. But they have a stupid rule here in out townhouse community - no charcoal grills. Why I don't know and when I inquired I really did not get an answer that made sense. They told be it's because they stay hot to long and someone could get hurt or a fire could be started. I told them that if a person has a real Weber the air holes can be shut off and they go out by themselves and do not stay hotter any longer than a gas grill....no reply. I think it more snobishness than anything else. They are for "common" people. Many of the board members are pretty impressed with themselves. As a side note the Charbroil infra red we bought worked as advertised. I made burgers - very juicy and evenly cooked, much easier to control the temp and no flare ups. I guess it makes up for the assembly nightmare we had.

But they have a stupid rule here in out townhouse community - no charcoal grills. Why I don't know and when I inquired I really did not get an answer that made sense. They told be it's because they stay hot to long and someone could get hurt or a fire could be started. .

I've seen first hand a gas grill shooting flames from a propane tank before my friend could wrap his hand and manage to turn it off.

I can make some pretty hot fires w/ charcoal but nothing like what that tank was shooting off.

Maybe they just need to see a propane "show" to change their mind.

I switched from propane to lump coal after too many times the squirrels chewed my gas hoses.

If it would have been up to me I would have gotten a good old charcoal Weber. But they have a stupid rule here in out townhouse community - no charcoal grills. Why I don't know and when I inquired I really did not get an answer that made sense. They told be it's because they stay hot to long and someone could get hurt or a fire could be started. I told them that if a person has a real Weber the air holes can be shut off and they go out by themselves and do not stay hotter any longer than a gas grill....no reply. I think it more snobishness than anything else. They are for "common" people. Many of the board members are pretty impressed with themselves. As a side note the Charbroil infra red we bought worked as advertised. I made burgers - very juicy and evenly cooked, much easier to control the temp and no flare ups. I guess it makes up for the assembly nightmare we had.

That's the main reason why I bought a single house, I heard so many terrible stories about condos and closed communities. I'm lucky though, we could afford one before the prices skyrocketed.

Just curious if they'd be interested in allowing a BGE since this thing is expensive, they might want those to be seen in the neighbourhood.

That's the main reason why I bought a single house, I heard so many terrible stories about condos and closed communities. I'm lucky though, we could afford one before the prices skyrocketed.

Just curious if they'd be interested in allowing a BGE since this thing is expensive, they might want those to be seen in the neighbourhood.

I <3 my bge!

Weber burners rusted out in less then 3 years and they wanted money for replacements? You do realize they are warranted for ten years not to mention replacements are $50 for three burners. I have a biased opinion about webers as I have one after replacing junk grills. Now that I have one will never go back as in the price range nothing will come close in the premium gas grill at the same price. Not to mention made in America atlest mine was :biggrin1: but some will disagree with this statement and to each there own. I just wanted to throw my opinion in having owned both type of grills and can say there is a difference between a Mercedes and a Kia.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Many of the board members are pretty impressed with themselves.

My son-in-law lives where there's a homeowners association; he breaks the rules sometimes. :biggrin1:

I live in the country, not many regulations. Wouldn't want to live in town again because of the city ordinances...some of that stuff is just stupid. The city council members aren't quite as bad as a homeowner's association; the council members are elected. :001_smile I can build a campfire in my back yard if I want to. :thumbup1:

We ended up replacing an old gas Calphalon grill with a dual charcoal and gas grill combo with an attached smoker and just love it.

And I do have a campfire in my back yard - along with a 30' bar :w00t: I do not live in a subdivision, but back up to one. The neighbors to stare in envy :biggrin:

Not my pic but just like it
proxy.php

We ended up replacing an old gas Calphalon grill with a dual charcoal and gas grill combo with an attached smoker and just love it.

And I do have a campfire in my back yard - along with a 30' bar :w00t: I do not live in a subdivision, but back up to one. The neighbors to stare in envy :biggrin:

Not my pic but just like it
proxy.php

My dad just got one of those very well built.He hasn't purchased the firebox just yet.:sneaky2:

I recently replaced my 3 year old Kenmore grill with a Char Broil grill.

full

full

full

full

I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it would have been up to me I would have gotten a good old charcoal Weber.

For my money, you can't beat a charcoal-burning Weber kettle grill. I got one as a wedding present 20 years ago and ended up replacing it about three years ago. It was still serviceable but just had cosmetic issues...it was starting to look pretty worn and ugly. I guess I would look the same after sitting outdoors, unprotected for 17 years through rain, snow, and whatever else mother nature threw at it. :001_rolle

I was feeling cheap last year - but had fallen in love with my father in laws Weber gas grill. So I was on a mission. With the new grills all being made in China with thin metal - I was looking for a 5+ year old grill.

Found the perfect Weber gas grill on crgslist for $50.00 - spent another $50 on new grates and was in business. Best cooking grill I have owned and I'm sure it'll last another 10+ years.

Weber burners rusted out in less then 3 years and they wanted money for replacements? You do realize they are warranted for ten years not to mention replacements are $50 for three burners. I have a biased opinion about webers as I have one after replacing junk grills. Now that I have one will never go back as in the price range nothing will come close in the premium gas grill at the same price. Not to mention made in America atlest mine was :biggrin1: but some will disagree with this statement and to each there own. I just wanted to throw my opinion in having owned both type of grills and can say there is a difference between a Mercedes and a Kia.

+1 :thumbup1: I have a Weber that is over 4 years old and still looks and works like new. I'm not saying that anything other than a Weber is junk, but to the OP's statement regarding the perceived quality & value of Weber grills, a. Weber burners are stainless steel, b. if they did manage to somehow rust out in 3 years, they should have been under warranty, and c. the most expensive replacement set of burners on Weber's parts page sells for $54.99.

The grill in question is shown here, in an unrelated thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2993721&postcount=152

If I ever decide that I need a gasser to go along with my Ceramic, I will buy a kalamazoo grill.

Michael

Last edited:
+1 :thumbup1: I have a Weber that is over 4 years old and still looks and works like new. I'm not saying that anything other than a Weber is junk, but to the OP's statement regarding the perceived quality & value of Weber grills, a. Weber burners are stainless steel, b. if they did manage to somehow rust out in 3 years, they should have been under warranty, and c. the most expensive replacement set of burners on Weber's parts page sells for $54.99.

The grill in question is shown here, in an unrelated thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2993721&postcount=152

All I can go by is what my wifes brother in law told me.....could be he didn't like the grill much after that period time and it was a smoke screen to get his wife to let him get a new one. As for Weber's prices there is indeed a difference between a Mercedes and a Kia - however both do what their basic function is - get you from point A to point B. It's just my opinion that Weber's ar over priced.

Well, I have used my new grill pretty much daily since we got it. I have to say it works as advertised - nice even cooking, no flare ups. So far we done burgers, T-bones, Chicken, Brats, corn on the cob, veggies to name a few. It has a seer feature which is nice for steaks etc. It might be a little small for large group entertaining but it works well for us. We never have more than a couple or two besides my wife and I so it's fine. Picture below- on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 9.

Last edited:
Well, I have used my new grill pretty much daily since we got it. I have to say it works as advertised - nice even cooking, no flare ups. So far we done burgers, T-bones, Chicken, Brats, corn on the cob, veggies to name a few. It has a seer feature which is nice for steaks etc. It might be a little small for large group entertaining but it works well for us. We never have more than a couple or two besides my wife and I so it's fine. Picture below- on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 9.

Nice! :thumbup1:

It's a perfect size. I tend to overbuy but I mainly cook for myself and a friend.

here are my go-to grills:

Vermont Castings VM448N Natrual Gas 3 burners with side and Blue Mica Lid. the lid weight about 100lbs, it's a very well made bbq. $285 at HD in canada when they were clearing out the VC line. they made fantastic BBQ's, even better then Weber if you ask me. this thing is built like a TANK

attachment.php

Weber Bar-B Kettle 22-1/2" Charcoal, a fantastic charcoal grill that i have even used to smoke a delicious turkey. picked it up for $10 on a local used site, then Weber warrantied it and gave me a new top and bottom kettle ,

attachment.php

Weber Baby-Q (Q100) used for camping. great little grill that turns out some fantastic meals. picked it up New in Box for $50 on a local used site.

attachment.php

Top Bottom