What's new

Voskhod blades ---- "teflon" coating just marketing or a genuine feature ?

Is the teflon coating on Voskhod blades, so prominently noted in large letters on the wrapper , a special feature compared to other brands of blades ?

Nearly all brands of blades have a teflon coating. Is Voskhod just stating the obvious --- like a seller of vegetables saying his product has no fat ---- or is there something unique about the Voskhod blades compared to other brands of blades ?

I expect some of you are also members of the other shave forum where a group buy for tens of thousands of these were bought. Any feedback from any of you that bought them and has now had a chance to use them for a while?

I was PIF'ed several Voskhod blades back in September and they are now one of my top blades. I have received great shaves from these blades everytime. They are very sharp and smooth and I will be ordering more when the need for blades arises.

I've been using them for a while.

They are part of my "top shelf" crew (Feather, Voskhod, Supermax Titanium, Personna super blues)

See my new thread on 13 days of razor blades - the Voshkod was the surprise winner of that PIF...whatever they are doing to the blade works, because I got fantastic shaves from the Voshkod. I will 100% be adding them to my rotation, I thought they were fantastic.

I was also surprised by these, since many compared them to Permasharps, which for me are extremely overrated. Voshkods, on the other hand, offer a very nice combination of sharpness and smoothness, comparable to Gillette Yellows. They also work extremely well in an R41, which for me is the litmus test of quality for any DE blade.

I expect some of you are also members of the other shave forum where a group buy for tens of thousands of these were bought. Any feedback from any of you that bought them and has now had a chance to use them for a while?
I was in on that 20,000 blades in 6 days craziness . Yes they are sharp and smooth and in my opinion last a little longer than some other blades ( astra plats , feathers,7 o clocks ect all well regaurded blades ) I bought 1000 after Id already had 200 from prior order. And most all the feedback from others on the other forum is also very very positive . Alot of those buying were vertran wet shaver hoarders with a goodly amount of other blades tried and multiable razors tried the blade and fell in love . I personally have tried 25 brands of blades if that helps

Last edited:
I tried one for the first time this morning and was sorely disappointed. Mid-shave I switched to a Feather. Lots of tugging and pulling. Almost felt like a Dorco to me.

i bought several cards of the voskhods and i've been quite happy with them. usually they can last a week for me and i've tried them in several different shavers. i'd compare them to the balzanos better than yellows and much better than many of the other 20+/- razors i've tried. a friend pointed out that he does have some hit-n-miss shaves but so far i've been lucky. it was the first blade i used in my r41 and wasn't dissappointed at all

Almost all blades are coated with Teflon. Some with additional of platinum or chrome. It must be the sharpness that works for you guys. If the blade wasn't sharp enough for your tough bead, you will get tugging. As usual, YMMV.

Used one today for the first time in my Superspeed. Felt very smooth but they weren't the most efficient blades I've used. I did 4.5 passes and got a BBS with no irritation and 1 small weeper on my mustache area. I could probably have gotten the same quality shave in 2.5 passes with a Gillette Yellow or a Super Iridium - not that I mind taking a little extra time shaving.

Almost all blades are coated with Teflon. Some with additional of platinum or chrome. It must be the sharpness that works for you guys. If the blade wasn't sharp enough for your tough bead, you will get tugging. As usual, YMMV.

Did you ever try cutting a piece of soft cheese with your sharpest knife? How much "drag" there is on the blade is very much a factor in how easily something cuts. Not saying the Voskhods teflon coating is special - I don't know, just that coating can very well make a difference.

Voskhods are nice.. I have 100. I have only used a couple blades tho because I am addicted to trying new blades. They were smooth, maybe didn't last as long as one of my favorites (Sputnik teflon). I just noticed that I cannot get Voskhods from my supplier now.. I know the famous Gillette plant just closed, but I'm pretty sure these are made by Rapira.. but who knows.. maybe Rapira was owned by Gillette. I think Gillette is evil and is now trying to stop DE blade use all together to keep people on the inferior cartridge system.

Voskhods are nice.. I have 100. I have only used a couple blades tho because I am addicted to trying new blades. They were smooth, maybe didn't last as long as one of my favorites (Sputnik teflon). I just noticed that I cannot get Voskhods from my supplier now.. I know the famous Gillette plant just closed, but I'm pretty sure these are made by Rapira.. but who knows.. maybe Rapira was owned by Gillette. I think Gillette is evil and is now trying to stop DE blade use all together to keep people on the inferior cartridge system.

I just ordered 100 from Phil at Bullgoose, these have to be one of my favorite blades. :)

Chris

Used one today for the first time in my Superspeed. Felt very smooth but they weren't the most efficient blades I've used. I did 4.5 passes and got a BBS with no irritation and 1 small weeper on my mustache area. I could probably have gotten the same quality shave in 2.5 passes with a Gillette Yellow or a Super Iridium - not that I mind taking a little extra time shaving.

Update:

24 hours later and I am only now starting to get stubble. Most shaves only last about 8 hours for me so count me as impressed. Not the be all end all of blades but great performance none the less.

Used one today for the first time in my YUMA wich is a very aggressive razor to me - no cuts or irritation, BBS.. very happy and impressed.... if the next shaves are just as good, i am not gonna try any more blades...

Top Bottom