Thread: Using Shaving Sticks in a More Conventional Way

Images

Default Using Shaving Sticks in a More Conventional Way

Greetings,
    I must admit up front that I'm primarily a shaving cream guy - the only soaps I use regularly are in a tub. This allows me to grab the correct amount of soap and use my regular shaving bowl Ė which sits in another bowl of scalding hot water.

I wasn't real thrilled with the shave stick form factor because I like all of my applications with the brush to be very warm and I was only able to achieve this with the first application. It usually takes me 3-4 passes for a superior shave.

Charles is offering such a wonderful assortment of fragrances that I want to try, but donít want to have to melt each into itís own container.

Yesterday I came up with a way to have my soap and use it too Ė I melt it right in my daily shaving bowl. Because I preheat my brush in the bowl which sits in a hot water bath, it is warm enough to melt just the right amount of soap and provide enough hot lather for the entire shave. When Iím done I rinse everything out and am ready for another day!

Preheating Bowls

Preheating Brush

Melting Soap In Bowl

Surface of Soap Still In Liquid State

After 15 - 20 Swirls.

Take care,
    Rik
    Last edited by Rik; 08-20-2005 at 08:19 PM.

2. Default

Superb idea my friend! I will surely have to give it a go, and see how it works for me! Love the "outside the box" thinking.
    - Joel
    joel (at) badgerandblade.com

Images

Outstanding job Rik! If a picture paints a thousand words...

Randy
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
    Shazam!
    Another memorable quote!
    Hall of Fame
    Remember Alex Brown

Images

Thanks guys. Charles' products deserve nothing less.

Take care,
    Rik

Images

Rik,

I tried your method this morning with a QED Eucalyptus shave stick, and it worked nicely. I don't use a hot pot, so I didn't get quite as much lather as I would have liked, so I went back to my face with the stick for the second and third pass. I think if my bowl had been hotter it would have worked flawlessly. i will play around a bit and see how it goes. Really clever idea!

My normal method with these sticks is to run them around my wet face, then work it with a sopping wet brush for a bit, and then hit my bowl. This usually generates tons of lather.
    -Scotto

Support B&B!

Images

Images

Thanks Scott!

Scott and Sean,
    The water bath does make a difference. Initially I tried using the hottest water from our tap, including changing the water twice while preheating my shave bowl, with unremarkable results.

Using the water bath, I'm able to apply extremely hot lather (about as hot as I can tolerate) which I find invigorating. Like any other setup it took some experimenting to create the perfect combination of lather and lubrication. Iím now able to acquire both equal to the 3 Ts.

This is the ingenious thing about the shave stick format. Theyíre portable, affordable, can be used both traditionally and applied directly to your face and come in an overwhelming variety of fragrances Ė I just placed another order today! For the individual who likes variety, what more could one ask for!
    Take care,
    Rik

A good lather is half the shave.
    William Hone