What's new

A Beautiful New 56

I recently went on a search for a smaller brush (most of mine are 24mm knot diameter or larger) and decided upon a Simpson 57. This decision was based primarily on the specs listed on many vendors' websites. For instance, WCS lists the 57 as having a 22mm knot diameter and 45mm loft. Sounds darn near perfect, right? Well, when Jarrod posted photos of his new stock of 57s at Superiorshave, I noticed that all except one had lofts of 52mm or more, and the one exception was listed at 49.5mm. Hmmmm. I contacted John at WCS about his 57s, and he informed me that by and large, they were coming with lofts in the low 50s. He said the specs listed on his website were from actual measurements of brushes, but not the current stock. The thought may be that Progress-Vulfix has been adjusting how they make the brushes to bring them more in line with their original specs (as originally manufactured by AE Simpson I suppose?). One other thing about the newer batches of the Fifty Series - the brushes are more fan shaped.

While browsing the 57s on Jarrod's website, I scrolled up to the 56s and found a beauty that I had to have. I measure the brush at 21mm x 48mm. Here are some pre-use pics. I'll post more thoughts on the brush and some post-bloom shots once I've had a chance to put it to more use.

View attachment 161753
View attachment 161754
View attachment 161755
Clockwise from top left: Wee Scot, 56, Colonel 2XL "Ehsan," CH2 Best
View attachment 161756

I love the Fifty Series. They look like the Emperor but come in Best, just what I've been wanting.

I don't have one yet, but I definitely have my sights set on the 55.

That 56 is a beauty. I almost ordered one late last year, but was lead to believe it was a lather hog. I'm interested in hearing your comments after use.

I received a 56 as a groomsman gift last year and it's become one of my top favorite brushes. The knot is moderately dense, feels great on the face and whips up a lather bigger and nicer than you'd expect. Definite winner. Congrats!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Lovely 56!

Brianw and johnniegold should be along shortly....

I get there eventually. :biggrin:

The Fifty Series is the best kept secret in the Simpson arsenal. It even deserved mention in my sig line.

I remember that I had purchased this brush while I was awaiting the now fabled Eagle G3 Best from the Group Buy. I figured that I would need a new brush to keep my mind off of the anticipation of waiting for the Eagle G3.

Well, The "56" did just that. Quite frankly, even when the G3 arrived, I had a difficulty putting The "56" away.

It is one of my favorite brushes. A great performer on soap, fantastic balance, comfortable handle. It is a wonderful brush.

This is my "56" next to the Harvard 4 (The Beast).

full

Last edited by a moderator:
To any of you guys who have both:

How do the Fifty Series guys compare to, say, the Berkeley/Special/Case?

Ahhh, the other Bob enabler. Thanks for chiming in and posting another picture of one of these fantastic brushes. When I also eventually order a Classic 2 it will be thanks to you, Mr. Gold.

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I've had my eyes on a "55" for a while. Must resist a little longer......

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Ahhh, the other Bob enabler. Thanks for chiming in and posting another picture of one of these fantastic brushes. When I also eventually order a Classic 2 it will be thanks to you, Mr. Gold.

Please Andrew, take a lesson from me and exhibit some self-control. :whistling:

And now, some more "56" shots for your viewing pleasure. :biggrin:

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom