What's new

Tallow Based Soaps

I'm new to soaps. I generally have found I like creams because I am lazy and haven't wanted to spend a lot of time lathering.

Then something happened. I bought some MWF just for kicks and found that lathering with a soap is actually fun, albeit a bit challenging. Definitely requires more work, but can be more rewarding. I find myself reaching for it more than I thought I ever would.

I've decide to start exploring and experimenting with soaps. I will get around to trying them all at some point, but I want to start with tallow based soaps. I know they can be good without tallow, but I want to start somewhere and move around sampling different types and brands.

That said, here is the question: Which soaps, in their current and latest formulation, are tallow based? I don't really like chasing around vintage or discontinued recipes (although I don't doubt that many of them are superior to today's offerings as seems to be the case with Pens soaps, etc.).

Art of Shaving
Czech and Speake
Valobra Stick (all three made by Valobra)
DR Harris
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Palmolive Stick
Wilkinson's Sword Stick
Speick Stick
Tabac
Irisch Moos
Cella
Queen Charlotte
Williams
Arko
Erasmic

Last edited:
Art of Shaving
Czech and Speake
Valobra Stick (all three made by Valobra)
DR Harris
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Palmolive Stick
Wilkinson's Sword Stick
Speick Stick
Tabac
Irisch Moos

Thanks for the list. I thought AoS was no longer tallow based now that P&G took over? Can anyone confirm?

Don't even joke about that.

No, it is still tallow. Which now I will order a few pucks, just in case.:blushing:

I have a hair trigger for notice of a reformulation or discontinuation of the product. As soon as I get a whiff of that, I will hop in a cab to go downtown and get like 20 pucks.

I have a hair trigger for notice of a reformulation or discontinuation of the product. As soon as I get a whiff of that, I will hop in a cab to go downtown and get like 20 pucks.

You stay on your side of the Mississippi and I'll stay on my side.:thumbup1:

Lets not forget Cella. Its a soft soap, but is heavy on the tallow.

The absolute best latherer is likely Tabac. If you can get along with the scent you will love it and force it upon friends, loved ones, co-workers, strangers on the commute etc.

~Adam

Thanks. Not sure where I got that from... Maybe something reformulated in their creams. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. :thumbup:

I think the cream underwent a reformulation, but that was a while back. And if I remember correctly (probably not), it was just to remove parabens.

Thanks. Not sure where I got that from... Maybe something reformulated in their creams. Sorry for the confusion.
The creams are as good as ever as well. Perhaps its the blurb on their site that boasts of it being 'glycerin based'? That inaccuracy has caused many a panic inducing thread :thumbup1:

~Adam

Lets not forget Cella. Its a soft soap, but is heavy on the tallow.

The absolute best latherer is likely Tabac. If you can get along with the scent you will love it and force it upon friends, loved ones, co-workers, strangers on the commute etc.

~Adam

I just ordered some Cella to see what the fuss is about. I haven't tried it yet. Just came in today.

Tabac? I have tried their cream. I don't really care for the scent, but I can tolerate it. I assume the soap has the same scent.

The creams are as good as ever as well. Perhaps its the blurb on their site that boasts of it being 'glycerin based'? That inaccuracy has caused many a panic inducing thread :thumbup1:

~Adam

Yeah I've been through 2 tubs of AoS creams. Great creams. Not in my top 3, but maybe top 5.

P&G has been in charge of AoS for quite a while, so it doesn't seem like the formula will change any time soon.

Oh I don't know, don't hold your breath! Tallow is becoming one of those things that is not "politically correct." I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tossed it.

Oh I don't know, don't hold your breath! Tallow is becoming one of those things that is not "politically correct." I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tossed it.

Think what you will, but I don't see it happening for a while if at all. No sense in speculation if it's fine now.

Top Bottom