What's new

Adding menthol to favorite aftershaves

I have always liked to cooling effect of AV Ice Blue so I purchased a small bottle of some quality menthol from Mama Bears. I am going to try a couple drops in something like a cheap Superior 70 to see how it feels.
I'm sure others have tried this, any thoughts?

I haven't tried Mama Bear's version, but I have made my own (vodka and menthol crystals) and have used M-Bomb from TSD. Both are very very nice.

I would recommend putting a normal (one use worth) of aftershave in your hand, then add 1 (maybe 2, not sure how strong the mama bear's is) drops to the small amount in your hand. Mix together and apply.

Be warned, menthol is great stuff, but it can go from nice to painfully strong in a hurry. Unless you have an allergy of some type, it shouldn't hurt you, but it can be darn uncomfortable for about an hour, and won't wash off. Bottom line, start small and work your way up.

Also if you like the added menthol cool, get a sample of Osage rub or Alcolado Glacial. Just about the coldest aftershaves on the planet (and wonderful)

I've been adding menthol to Superior 70 for years - but I don't know anything about your liquid...

Menthol occurs as an irregular sized crystal that dissolves in alcohol at about 110 degrees F.

I've found that 3 grams of menthol to each bottle of Superior 70 give a nice Proraso like chill; put the bottle in a sink of very hot tap water, loosen the cap and you'll see the crystals melt. Shake and re-cap.

My experience is that the crystals are so irregular that the only way to control the proportion is by weight, and never by volume - and if you add too much, I can assure you that your face will NOT appreciate it!

And other products for true menth-heads to try (just a few I have personally used)

Shave Creams:
Any of TSD's Iced Products
Mama Bears Iced Products
Ingrams
Kiss My Face Mint (Very light menthol, but nice)

Aftershaves:
SCS Blue Line Menth Aftershave (Strong!)
Osage Rub
Alcolado Glacial

FYI Ebay is a great source for menthol crystals if you want to experiment. A small pack will go a long way (I got 4 ounces for about $7 or $8 shipped) These crystals dissolve readily in alcohol or oils. I got a small eyedropper bottle, filled it about halfway with crystals, and the rest of the way with vodka. Let it sit overnight and the menthol was dissolved. Works awesome, and you can mentholate ANYTHING as you wish (shampoo, shave soaps, aftershaves, etc). It also works well to put a few drops in a humidifier if you have a cold (think Vicks Vapo-Rub) and a few drops on the shower walls before you get in when you have a cold.

Yes, I am addicted to Crystal Menth. :tongue_sm

I am playing it somewhat safe and using a diluted liquid form.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I am also a menth-head. I usually dab on a little 444 balm when using a non-mentholated AS to achieve the same menthol kick.

Top Bottom