What's new

Handmade shave soaps.

Has anyone tried any of the handmade soaps from ebay sellers?

There are literally dozens on ebay. If you mention specific names you will probably get more replies.

IMO, if they aren't mentioned here they probably aren't worth risking your money on. There are several "handmade" shaving soap makers that are well respected and they can all be found here on Badger & Blade in the vendor section. Mama Bear, Saint Charles Shave, Queen Charlotte Soaps, just to name a few.

Like everything in the world, there are good ones and crappy ones.
Any in particular you're interested in?

Not really. I just didn't know in general if the handmade soaps were any good. I'm just getting into soaps. I guess my best bet is to stick with the manufacturers at first and then branch off later on or even try making my own. I have a cousin who makes candles and soaps. Like with my RAD, I enjoy finding diamonds in the rough.

Last edited:
I just tried Malaspina Triple Delight Cream Shaving Soap in Cherry Tobacco...WOWZA GOOD!

Also samples in Salish Sunshine (sweet orange, bergamot and rosewood EOs) and Iced Lime (lime EO and menthol, IIRC)... both fantastic!

I just ordered some Lemongrass from evanest off ebay this weekend. I'll post back once I get a chance to try it out... had some 'free' money in my paypal account so it didn't really cost me anything. I really want to try the QC cedar lemongrass but haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet...

Has anyone tried any of the handmade soaps from ebay sellers?

Yeah I have. I don't remember the sellers name, or store. The soap shouldn't be too hard to find though. It's called manly,man. I don't remember how many offerings he has, or doesn't have, as vetiver is my favorite note, so thats what I ordered, and will be ordering it again. A quality well made soap. To my surprise it does have a strong vetiver scent. Lathers great, and is long lasting.

If you are just getting started I would suggest that you stick to the tried and true brands. If you are looking for something artisinal I would recommend Mama Bear.

Many artisinal soap makers sell shaving soaps, but many have no idea of what they are doing.

Does anybody know which of the modern artisans are going the extra mile and making a tallow soap? I am not a big fan of the "jelly" soaps. I can't get them to lather right.

I just ordered some Lemongrass from evanest off ebay this weekend. I'll post back once I get a chance to try it out... had some 'free' money in my paypal account so it didn't really cost me anything. I really want to try the QC cedar lemongrass but haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet...

Assuming you mean QCS, the Provence are Fantastic in Scent & Lather

Last edited:
If you are just getting started I would suggest that you stick to the tried and true brands. If you are looking for something artisinal I would recommend Mama Bear.

Many artisinal soap makers sell shaving soaps, but many have no idea of what they are doing.

+1
I once bought a "shaving soap" bar from a vendor at a craft show and wound up with the worst shave I have ever had. I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they were doing with the shave soap. I will not make that mistake again!!

+1
I once bought a "shaving soap" bar from a vendor at a craft show and wound up with the worst shave I have ever had. I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they were doing with the shave soap. I will not make that mistake again!!

This happened to me too. A local soap maker had a puck of soap they advertised as shaving soap that smelled wonderful. I offered to test it out for them so they gave me a free sample. There wasn't any lather to speak of! I haven't confirmed it, but I suspect some kind of lather killing oil they are using in it.

Top Bottom