What's new

Water only Hair Washing

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was curious if anyone uses only water to wash their hair. And their experience.

I'm on about the 5th or 6th day of using water only (Lukewarm to cool). I did some research on the internet and thought it worth a try. I would wash my hair once every three or four days in my early 20's when I had an unbelievable thick head of hair. Over the years, I started (for some reason) to wash my hair daily (using all types of store bought Shampoo's). Recently, I switched to Chagrin Valley shampoo bars which helped greatly with some of my on going hair troubles (Dandruff especially).

If I see some interest in my post, I will continue the updates (Pros and Cons) of my experience with the water only method.

Issues I've battled with:
Receeding hair line or getting a bigger forehead
Thinning/shedding
Dandruff/Psoriasis

That wouldn't work for me... I have way too much Vitalis and Groom & Clean in my hair. Then again, I wouldn't have to reapply it as often.:001_smile

If you don't put anything in your hair, though, you might get nice results. Your hair will retain enough natural oil to be manageable, and not striped and dried out. If your washing with water, I can't imagine it would get too dirty or start to smell.

It has been discussed here, along with water only showering. I wouldn't do it, but if it works for you, go for it.

Your hair loss issues are likely not caused, or affected by your method of hair cleaning.

Last edited:
Using water only will not help your receding hairline (i.e. the growing forehead) if you have the beginnings of male pattern baldness. You can read up on male pattern baldness and learn more about it if you want. You can talk to a dermatologist about it, but there is no definitive "cure" for it in my opinion.

There is over the counter minoxidil to consider. It can slow your your hair loss down if you have male pattern baldness and it will make your hair shafts thicker but you have to use it every day. It rarely grows new hair.

Anyway, if you want the latest advice on hair loss (such as it is) see a dermatologist.

It's up to your personal taste to go without your shampoo bars, but you'll probably get pretty oily up there.:laugh:

Last edited:
It's up to your personal taste to go without your shampoo bars, but you'll probably get pretty oily up there.:laugh:

Only for a short time then once your body/hair adjusts to you not putting crap in it and removing all the natural oils it calms down. I've used nothing but water since last July, had no choice as there was no water other then drinking water where I was, with no problems.

SWMBO and the woman who cut my hair can't tell the difference.

Couple additional comments.

I'm not concerned about going bald. I would prefer that not to happen, but I'm perfectly ok if that does happen.

When I go to the grocery and stand in the hair product section and see all the hair care items (including Rogain and the like)...I have to sit back and say wait a sec. The marketing machine is in 6th gear....just like the shave industry with the 5 blade cartridges $30 for a pack of five.

COME ON....Is all this necessary....It's only my opinion that it's not! I think the marketing machine is creating the demand...This shampoo fixes dandruff, but dries out your hair..better find a good hair gel. And so on and on.

I'm taking a stand, the same stand I took when I went to DE shaving. I'm saying no to the marketing that is creating demand and could be causing more problems then they fix.....and will continue to post the results

I used to wash my hair (with shampoo) everyday. Recently I decided to try it every other day. I find my hair and scalp are healthier and feel better. Shampoo dries your hair and scalp out. My hair does tend to get oily if I go too long without shampoo but I have gone three days without and my wife couldn't tell the difference.

When I was younger (10), I had excellent hair and a healthy scalp.

Throughout puberty I shampooed almost daily and found that by the time I was 16, I had horrible dandruff which couldn't be cured with even the strong anti dandruff/fungal shampoos.

Now at 21, the only thing that seems to help is NOT shampooing. I've been shampooing roughly once a month for the last 3 years, and even though I do have dandruff, it is far less than I used to have.

It sucks for the first few weeks. Oil everywhere. The only time I feel gummy now is when I've used too much of certain products and can't wash it out with hot water.

Have fun and let us know the results!

Receeding or thinning hair? Just shave it! I went from long blonde hair half way down my back to a totally smooth shaved head in about 20 minutes. Not once have I regretted it :thumbup1:

you do know you can buy suave products and save at least $2 or more. they work the same as their competition..

I wash my hair every other day with shampoo the rest of the time is just hot water shower. A good quality Boar Hair Brush and about 5 minutes of brushing a day will help with the dandruff. I have not had any flakes since I added Fish oil to my diet and started using Groom n Clean.

If receding or thinning hair is an issue, avoiding shampoos may be a problem. Although you don't want to overuse shampoo and dry your hair/scalp, shampoos remove dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is the most common cause hair loss in men.

If you want full, thicker hair, look in to buying a Bosley Revive Kit. They contain shampoo, conditioner and treatment foam. I have been using this stuff for a couple months now and my hair is much thicker and my hair line seems to be very stable.

I did a similiar experiment, no shampoo but used conditioner only to clean my hair. The first week went well but it went down hill from there. I ended getting EXTREME dandruff! I kept going hoping it would get better but it did not, even after another five weeks.

I ended up going back to shampoo except i started using nizoral and now for the first time in twenty years I am dandruff free!

Nizoral is awesome, head and shoulsders, selsun blue...got me no reslts.

I hired a carpenter one time that did the no shampoo hippie crap, no deodorant, blahblah.
First, he was a good framer.
Second, he reeked, and I put up with it for about a week. We aren't known as the cleanest bunch of guys around, but there is a limit.
So when I tell him he has to bath or something he tells me he does but uses no soap or otherwise, just water. I had to put my foot down and told him he was UNSAT, and had to figure out how to not stink, his methods could be his own.
His solution, and it worked, was to shampoo and bath with baking soda. I have to say that he wasn't any worse than anyone else at the end of the day, and he had purty blond hair.
Might be an option, I don't know.
Brent.
p.s...another shill for the AoS shampoo. I love the stuff, and you use maybe a 1/4 of what a normal dose would be.

S

surpera1

hmmmm
i would be oily for sure
i wash my hair daily with the bar of soap
then i take all that lather and put it on my face
shave in the shower by feel
come out BBS every time

It's been approx. 8 or 9 days in a row of washing my hair with water only.

My hair is as long as it has been in several years, which isn't that long (2to3 inches). It's very difficult to comb after getting out of the shower. I use a wide tooth comb. It may be the result of my hair being a little greasy. Once my hair dries, it's vey managable and soft. Looks very healthy.

Issues:
My scalp is itchy and flacky/waxy - when I rub my fingernail over my scalp I get white stuff in my nail. Little concerning, but I would get this when using store brought shampoo as well...my hair would be really dry/fizzy and scalp real oily. Now my hair is soft and sleak with an oily scalp.

I'm going to keep going, maybe get a real short haircut this weekend.

I get patches of red, dry, flaky skin on my scalp which sometimes moves to my sideburns (and surrounding face areas) as well as my eyebrows. Quite embarrasing. I use Nizoral shampoo and it completely clears everything up. Not the cheapest, but effective. If you try it, note that things will get worse before they get better. It usually takes a few days or more depending on severity to get rid of everything. During the treatment, things will get even more flaky and look very dry, but then everything clears right up. Once cleared, I use it every other day or so and it keeps my skin normal. If I quit using it, the problem comes back. This may or may not work for you, but it works for me and I figured I'd offer the tip.

It's been approx. 8 or 9 days in a row of washing my hair with water only.

Issues:
My scalp is itchy and flacky/waxy - when I rub my fingernail over my scalp I get white stuff in my nail. Little concerning, but I would get this when using store brought shampoo as well...my hair would be really dry/fizzy and scalp real oily. Now my hair is soft and sleak with an oily scalp.

I'm going to keep going, maybe get a real short haircut this weekend.

Marks Daily Apple on dumping the poo

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/going-poo-less/

Top Bottom