What's new

Car washing by hand - streak free windows?

I usually wash my car by hand with car shampoo and then rinse the soap suds off with a watering can filled with cold water.

My problem lies with keeping my windows streak free.

Everytime when I sit in my car to drive my car for the first time I notice streaks on my windscreen, drivers door window, basically all windows, which is really annoying and doesnt allow optimum visibility.

Perhaps I am using the wrong products or just the wrong method. Any advice?

Are you cleaning the insides of the glass too? I use an auto glass cleaner that somehow works even better than Windex for auto glass. Also, do you smoke in your car? I know that can really contribute to hazy, streaky glass.

When you wipe off your window screen, make sure you are using a clean lint free microfiber towel. I also use wax on my windows. It works wonders and helps keep the windows clean.

I wish I had the time to hand wash my car... I can't even remember the last time I did that.

1. Are you sure you're getting off all the soap with that watering can?
2. You start at the top and rinse your way down every side, right?
3. Do you have hard water? Hard water reacts with some soaps to form a hybrid soap/mineral film on whatever you're trying to clean. Here in the US, one car soap company came up with a water filter that fits onto a garden hose for the final rinse. I have no clue whether it actually helps.
4. You could dry the car with a chamois, so that the water can't sit on the car to form streaks and waterspots... but this effectively doubles the time it takes... maybe just dry the glass parts.

Are you drying your car, or just watering your car to rinse the soap off and letting it sit?

Maybe the watering can method isn't rinsing all the soap off of your car.

If you have streaks on your windows, just clean them with a glass cleaner. I use Sprayway glass cleaner on my windows and it works great.

Last edited:
4. You could dry the car with a chamois, so that the water can't sit on the car to form streaks and waterspots... but this effectively doubles the time it takes... maybe just dry the glass parts.

Thanks, I will get a chamois cloth & try this only on the windows.

I am interested in this "liquid wax" as it sounds like it could be of benefit.

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Not sure if they have it in the UK, but stoner invisible glass is the best glass cleaner I have ever tried.

Also you could try using a squeegee after washing to get rid of all the water spots/streaking.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A friend of mine is considered to be the best Mercedes mechanic in the county. His recommendation for windows is any type of Windex and newspaper. Damned if it doesn't work for me. :lol:

Hard water is the cause of spotting on cars after washing. Newspaper ink comes off on your hands but not glass. i'm not sure it even comes off on your hands any more now that I think about it.It is great for streak free windows home or auto.You may try a squeegee also and then just tidy the edges up with a cloth or paper.

Wont that put ink/print on the glass ?

Negligible amounts, stains the hands more if you don't use gloves, and even then it's not that much. Once completely dry the ink flakes/dust, if there is any, will just fly off as it doesn't stick to the glass.

Make sure to use black and white newspaper only. This also is the best method for cleaning your home windows.

PS: drying your car with a chamois can/will damage the paint job. Since the chamois drags across, any particles left on the finish will scratch your clear coat. It is best to use a waffle pattern microfiber towel to pat dry your car. If you have a good wax coat, you can use a steady stream of water on horizontal surfaces so that the flow pulls of any water left sitting on them, this clears the worst of the water, but you will still have to towel-dry.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is considered to be the best Mercedes mechanic in the county. His recommendation for windows is any type of Windex and newspaper. Damned if it doesn't work for me. :lol:

Bingo! My brother detailed cars in high school and showed me that trick. It really works and no, you do not get ink on the windshield. The only result is a perfectly clean window.

I use white vinegar (50/50 with water) on windows, first with a sponge then with either newspaper or a mf towel depending on what's on hand.

Totally unathorized by the manufacturer, but Klasse All-in-One is a pretty good windshield cleaner and rain repellant.

Not sure if they have it in the UK, but Stoner Invisible Glass is the best glass cleaner I have ever tried.

Also you could try using a squeegee after washing to get rid of all the water spots/streaking.

+1 on this. I love that product.

My general routine in the nicer months(usually May-October) is a hand wash followed by a hand dry with 100% cotton towel. Then I will spray Stoner Invisible Glass on to a paper towel (not directly on to glass to avoid overspray) and then after that I will wipe the entire car down with a car duster.
proxy.php

Edit: I forgot about the newspaper trick. I have tried it before and it does work but I always seem to forget about it.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What's that you say? Which newspaper should a B&B member use for best results?

Around these parts, I recommend the New York Post, because it's, ahem, a
rag.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Top Bottom