What's new

MWF - Lather explodes off puck!

I have read quite a few threads about how folks like the Fat but many say it's a finicky lather. I had a chance to pick some up and since day 1 the lather has been tremendous and easily gotten. I have hard well water and I find it easier than even Tabac to lather. With both my pure and 1305 I can load enough for 3 passes in about 10-15 seconds. I'm sure I'm not alone...

I have read quite a few threads about how folks like the Fat but many say it's a finicky lather. I had a chance to pick some up and since day 1 the lather has been tremendous and easily gotten.
That is usually not the problem. The problem is usually 'Does it remain on the face?', or 'Can I shave pleasantly with the lather?'

I have hard well water and I find it easier than even Tabac to lather. With both my pure and 1305 I can load enough for 3 passes in about 10-15 seconds. I'm sure I'm not alone...
See, here is an interesting fact. You load for 10 to 15 seconds. Even with a nice wet brush I can't pick up sufficient product in that time. I get lather which looks like this (irrespective of the soap I use, by the way). I want lather which looks like this, and although I can get MWF to that state without problems, it falls off my face within half a minute because it is too wet. If I make the lather dryer, the stubble on my face stabs it to death. I can't seem to win with MWF.

Cymric, The difference in the lather you have and the lather you want is just a few drops of water difference. Add just a few more drops of water.

Cymric, The difference in the lather you have and the lather you want is just a few drops of water difference. Add just a few more drops of water.
Trust me, I've tried the entire moisture range. Basically to the point where it became runny because of all the water. MWF does not work for me.

Was that a picture of your brush? Or do you have a different one? My question is did you take the photograph? It appears you are having no better luck with martin De Candre also. If that is the case It is not the soap and since the brush say Badger I think you need help learning to build a lather. Which is no problem that is why we come to these places.:001_smile

Last edited:
although I can get MWF to that state without problems, it falls off my face within half a minute because it is too wet. If I make the lather dryer, the stubble on my face stabs it to death. I can't seem to win with MWF.

Same here. I tried MWF with 3 boars and two badgers, and no matter how much of the stuff I get on the brush and how much water I get into the lather, it dries on my face mid pass. And I'm not slow.

If only it were that simple, and for many soaps it is. I like all my lather wet. I add more water than most, and I can because I load my brushes well. Until MWF, I've never come across another 'problem' soap. I'd like to think I've enough experience to get a decent lather from anything, and so far I have.

MWF won't play. It's a shame because it moisturises very nicely, but it shaves me like crap, even when I get a half decent lather from it.

Last edited:
My question is did you take the photograph?
No, I did not take those pictures. I just use them because they illustrate the difference between what I think is good (2nd link) and what I think is bad (1st link) lather very well. My lather always looks like in the 2nd link :).

In any case, I found it interesting to read that the OP loaded as shortly as he did. I certainly can't work with what results in those circumstances :tongue_sm.

No, I did not take those pictures. I just use them because they illustrate the difference between what I think is good (2nd link) and what I think is bad (1st link) lather very well. My lather always looks like in the 2nd link :).

In any case, I found it interesting to read that the OP loaded as shortly as he did. I certainly can't work with what results in those circumstances :tongue_sm.

What brush do you have and where are you?

I think I'll make a short video of loading the fat. The reason I wrote "exploding" off the puck is that unlike Tabac, the Fat literally froths everywhere if I don't lap it up and flick it into a bowl. Looks like an overflowing washing machine!

I have read quite a few threads about how folks like the Fat but many say it's a finicky lather. I had a chance to pick some up and since day 1 the lather has been tremendous and easily gotten. I have hard well water and I find it easier than even Tabac to lather. With both my pure and 1305 I can load enough for 3 passes in about 10-15 seconds. I'm sure I'm not alone...

MWF explodes in leather. It is the best soap made ever, period (IMO). All my other creams, soaps are collecting dust.

What brush do you have and where are you?
I appreciate your efforts to debug my lathering routine---but believe me, it's fine. Truly, it is; and after 70-odd soaps and creams it ought to be!

But since you ask: I use either a Shavemac st badger, or a Rooney 3/1 st badger, or an Omega boar. And the water hardness at my place is very moderate compared to the diluted cement of some shavers here at B&B: 8.5 dGH.

I think I'll make a short video of loading the fat. The reason I wrote "exploding" off the puck is that unlike Tabac, the Fat literally froths everywhere if I don't lap it up and flick it into a bowl. Looks like an overflowing washing machine!
Oh yes, that sounds like MWF alright. It likes to produce voluminous lather.

It has tetrasodium EDTA; hard water doesn't stand a chance:thumbup1:

This is an interesting tidbit of information, I wonder if any other shaving products have a chelating agent in their formulation.

In case anyone is curious, EDTA would chelate or remove divalent cations like Mg2+ or Ca2+ (known lather destroyers).

The tetra sodium could then substitute some Na+ ions that would aid in lather production.

That's how I thought it out in my head, I could be wrong.

This is an interesting tidbit of information, I wonder if any other shaving products have a chelating agent in their formulation.
I think there are more products with than without chelating agents. You don't actually need them: just use more soap. But it keeps the soap scum down, and helps in areas where the water is, as I wrote above, diluted cement :001_smile.

I appreciate your efforts to debug my lathering routine---but believe me, it's fine. Truly, it is; and after 70-odd soaps and creams it ought to be!

But since you ask: I use either a Shavemac st badger, or a Rooney 3/1 st badger, or an Omega boar. And the water hardness at my place is very moderate compared to the diluted cement of some shavers here at B&B: 8.5 dGH.

You have the bases covered my friend so I will bow out now.

I am also in the group that could not get satisfying lather or shaves from MWF. I have Tabac, MdC, P160, Cella, etc etc and have no problems getting great lather from any of them. I've read a lot of different posts about coaxing the lather from it and could not get it right. I will say that while the shaves were disappointing, it did leave my skin feeling as soft as velvet. I gave up on it and PIF'd what I had left.

Top Bottom