What's new

More fun at Pasteur's Pharmacy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Had a few extra minutes today, so I stopped by Pasteur's E34th St location. I hadn't been there for a while, and was pleasantly surprised by their stock- it seemed much better than ever. Two really nice chaps, Steve and Leon, were very helpful and seemed fully aware of our site.

Some random highlights-

Saw some Irisch Moos stick, 11.99. Not bad.
Taylor creams still 13.99, very good b&m deal.
Alt Innsbruck on the shelves.
Full complement of Musgo, Proraso, and Speick.
Harris creams 24.99.
Penhaligon's EF and BB- after the reformulation, of course. Grrr.
Loads of T&H.
New Coates soap.

Best of all their stock of razors, once a splendid choice of a long handled Merkur or or HD, now literally numbers in the dozens. These boys have really done their homework. I saw lots of gold Merkurs in a display that resembled the dens of some of our nuttier members. Outstanding selection!

They seem to be putting a lot of effort into keeping Pasteur's the NYC mecca for shave gear. Fortunately, I forgot some things, so I'll have to go back in a few days. :thumbup1:

Was in NYC for an interview today....conveniently located near Pasteur's..love that place...amazing how much stuff they pack into a small area.....

ouch

How was their brush stock? I keep thinking about going in and comparing some Simpson models.

They had at least 50 Simpsons on hand, in pure, best, and super.

All were on an agonizingly neck bending top shelf, but I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

It's great to see some of our favorite toys in person. I love small brushes, and wanted to see the Simpson Special, priced nicely at $41.99. I knew it would be small, but I thought it was closer to Wee Scot small than Berekely small; ie: a little too small for me.

ouch

More on the staff:

I've grown so accustomed to the usual treatment (think AoS: "You absolutely must use a preshave oil, a vibrating brush, and a $200 handle for a cartridge to obtain a good shave") that it's refreshing to encounter guys who "get it", let alone are enthusiatic about the products. As I held a tub of Castle Forbes in my hand, they asked if I ever tried Arko, one of the cheapest products on the market. They seemed to get the fact that vendors in such a specialized market are better served by understanding and helping their customers than by pushing for a single, high priced hit. Once someone gets hooked on this, they tend to willingly explore the higher end offerings because they want to, not because some condescending clerk intimidates them into spending a fortune. Here, they were happy to plug Taylor as a value packed alternative to Trumpers, and left me with the impression that any newbie visiting the store would be safe. Good job!

What else did I forget?
Kilo of Cella ($42, and $12.75 for the lovely little red tub)
Tabac
Decent assortment of DE blades
Loads more, to boot.

Last edited:
I love small brushes, and wanted to see the Simpson Special, priced nicely at $41.99. I knew it would be small, but I thought it was closer to Wee Scot small than Berekely small; ie: a little too small for me.
Thanks for that tidbit. I love my 46 and was wondering about the Special. Think I'll stick with the Berk.

ouch

Mention my name, and they'll close the huge, gaping hole in the floor by the shave gear. :lol:

Can't tell you how many time I almost lost my life in that place.

I was there last month. Except for the claustrophobia, it was heaven.

But if you really want heaven.... have lunch at 2nd Ave Deli.... just a couple blocks away!

2 heavens!

Thank you for the warning. I'm heading to NY next week for a few days. I've also loaded up on product since January. The last thing I need is a binge at a store that is stocking even more stuff. I will be staying away until I can shave my way out of abundance.

I've grown so accustomed to the usual treatment (think AoS: "You absolutely must use a preshave oil, a vibrating brush, and a $200 handle for a cartridge to obtain a good shave") that it's refreshing to encounter guys who "get it", let alone are enthusiatic about the products. As I held a tub of Castle Forbes in my hand, they asked if I ever tried Arko, one of the cheapest products on the market. They seemed to get the fact that vendors in such a specialized market are better served by understanding and helping their customers than by pushing for a single, high priced hit. Once someone gets hooked on this, they tend to willingly explore the higher end offerings because they want to, not because some condescending clerk intimidates them into spending a fortune. Here, they were happy to plug Taylor as a value packed alternative to Trumpers, and left me with the impression that any newbie visiting the store would be safe. Good job!

:thumbup1:

Pasteur's, Cambridge Chemists, Merz Apothecary... you'd think there'd be room for a shop like that in LA or San Francisco.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
:thumbup1:

Pasteur's, Cambridge Chemists, Merz Apothecary... you'd think there'd be room for a shop like that in LA or San Francisco.

and Dallas- yes, if they had one of these I would drive to that god forsaken city (the drive suckage in FW is only topped by that in Dallas)

and Dallas- yes, if they had one of these I would drive to that god forsaken city (the drive suckage in FW is only topped by that in Dallas)

Should put one of these home-y stores in FW, which I found much nicer in that way than Dallas.

Top Bottom