What's new

Shaving Habits of the British Royal Family?

It did even more damage to historical accuracy in film

Because Braveheart had established such a great precedent for Mel Gibson historical films. :lol:

Seriously, the Battle of Stirling Bridge without, well, a bridge? Basically, Stirling Bridge was portrayed as what Falkirk would've been if it had worked, and Falkirk portrayed as the time-tested strategy of "Bad guys over there. Run at them with sharp sticks." :lol:

I think if we knew the shaving habits of the royal family, most of us would find them vaguely depressing.

There's no way they have as much fun.

I know that Mysore products are used by them, supplied by the sandalwood soap company, other than that I've no idea. And to be honest, couldn't give a [insert expletive here]

Because Braveheart had established such a great precedent for Mel Gibson historical films. :lol:

Seriously, the Battle of Stirling Bridge without, well, a bridge? Basically, Stirling Bridge was portrayed as what Falkirk would've been if it had worked, and Falkirk portrayed as the time-tested strategy of "Bad guys over there. Run at them with sharp sticks." :lol:

OTOH the film did show us Welsh as a bunch of mercenary backstabbers, which isn't that far from the truth :001_smile

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
OTOH the film did show us Welsh as a bunch of mercenary backstabbers, which isn't that far from the truth :001_smile

I am of Welsh descent- I think they like doing anything that sticks it to the British (of course, being American I have outgrown that :001_smile)

I am of Welsh descent- I think they like doing anything that sticks it to the British (of course, being American I have outgrown that :001_smile)

The most they've done in recent years that I've heard about is go around spray painting over the English on road signs. No doubt they're satisfied by the number of disgruntled tourists driving around the Welsh valleys... :laugh:

I'm being pedantic here - Wales is in Britain, it's the English they're not so keen on ;D

Last edited:

There's nothing a Welshman likes more than getting one over on the English, but we're a small nation and pragmatic... the Saes usually had enough money to make things worth our while :001_smile It's not always appreciated how many 'English bowmen' at Agincourt and such were Welsh. There they slaughtered prisoners, when everyone else refused the duty... but many a Welsh archer's skills were honed on the Marches fighting the English knights they later served alongside. It's a bit of an ignominious history, but you do what you have to do, to survive.

The most they've done in recent years that I've heard about is go around spray painting over the English on road signs. No doubt they're satisfied by the number of disgruntled tourists driving around the Welsh valleys... :laugh:

I'm being pedantic here - Wales is in Britain, it's the English they're not so keen on ;D

Once we've got the tourists, gruntled or not, they still have cash to spend - and in all honesty, we're not all that keen on the Irish, and the Jocks have got very big headed since they got their own parliament.

I think they use the method used in those all male "public schools" off in the countryside. The nostrils and ears are filled with local mud, the mouth is head tightly shut and you inhale as vigorously as possible until the whiskers are drawn into the mouth, through the cheeks. The beard is then chewed off and swallowed and the head master then administers cold water enemas until the whiskers are delivered. It is said to build character for the ruling classes.

I know I have read that the Prince of Wales still uses a DE. Also I believe that when the Duke of Edingburgh is at Buckingham Palace or Windsor a Barber is sent from Truefitt and Hill daily to shave him and when he is at another residence his shaving is performed by his personal valet.

You realise how far from London, Windsor is? I lived there. They wouldn't be 'popping down the road' from central London. By the time they got there, he'd be ready for lunch.

It depends where you read this stuff. There is the society version of People magazines out there too.

As for ruling classes and character, English private schools also have the distinction of inventing the human toast rack. :)

You realise how far from London, Windsor is? I lived there. They wouldn't be 'popping down the road' from central London. By the time they got there, he'd be ready for lunch.

It depends where you read this stuff. There is the society version of People magazines out there too.

As for ruling classes and character, English private schools also have the distinction of inventing the human toast rack. :)

I believe it is only about 20 miles from Buckingham Palace to Windsor Castle. Maybe 30-40 minutes travel time depending on traffic. It's been a few years since I have been to London, it could be worse today but it could be better :tongue_sm

Don't forget winning the Grand Slam a couple of times recently... :thumbup:

Ah Wales. A Country that has contributed so much, but stays so far under the radar it could give Bin Laden a run for his money in the hide 'n' seek stakes.

I believe it is only about 20 miles from Buckingham Palace to Windsor Castle. Maybe 30-40 minutes travel time depending on traffic. It's been a few years since I have been to London, it could be worse today but it could be better :tongue_sm

20 miles and 18 million Londoners to negotiate. I used to do the car trip to central London every day from Windsor. During rush period, 2 hrs, minimum.

A 3am you may be able to do it in 45 mins. Otherwise you'd need a helicopter to get there in that time.

Oh hey pre-House pre-American-accent Hugh Laurie...

Hugh is one of the hoi poloi. Educated at Eton (the Royals' preferred school for a couple of hundred years) and Cambridge University.

Blackadder wasn't a big stretch for his talents, he home ran two characters in George and George (WWI). He'd be well versed in the upper class twit mentality, and would probably admit to suffering from it in the past.

I used to work with some guys who had trained Edward during his brief time in the Royal Marines. It didn't sound like he had any extra help, so I would imagine he used the same canned shaving cream and cartridge razor (probably an Atra or something like that) that everyone else used in those days (I now regret never addressing shaving directly!). I would imagine that when they are deployed with an active duty unit, they don't live all that much different than anyone else. In garrison is probably a different story. At home, who knows?

Top Bottom